Some Accurate Mortality Statistics For Thailand - Australian Nationals.

NamKangMan

Finally, some accurate mortality statistics from the Australian Government, not the Thai Government. As suspected, Thailand is number one for the death of it's citizens abroad. I'm sure Thailand would be number one for other countries as well.

People, becareful out there.

There's more to Thailand than the "wai" the "smiles" and the cold beer and young ladies here. I'm sure out of these statistics, Phuket would be number one for Thailand.

Thailand/Phuket IS a dangerous place.

http://news.ninemsn....ller-death-list

** To the mod/s - not sure where this article fits on the website. As I usually post on the Phuket forum, I posted it here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Sorry, but those numbers have no value if the overall time spent (number of visits * average time of visit) in these countries is not know.

To get an more valid comparison multiply the average time spent on an country with the number of visits and then divide the number of deaths with that number

Eg. 300 deaths/ ( 40000 visitors * 14 days) = 300 deaths/ 1538 travel years = 0.195 deaths / travel year.

There were 4,000,000 Australian visitors in the last 5 years excluding Expats already here.

201 deaths from accidents or unknown causes means a maximum 0.005% chance of dying whilst you are here if you are from Australia.

So, basically, what you are saying Peterocket, is that Australian Nationals have the most "bad luck" when in Thailand, compared to other countries visited.

Is that right????

I don't think so.

Sorry, but those numbers have no value if the overall time spent (number of visits * average time of visit) in these countries is not know.

To get an more valid comparison multiply the average time spent on an country with the number of visits and then divide the number of deaths with that number

Eg. 300 deaths/ ( 40000 visitors * 14 days) = 300 deaths/ 1538 travel years = 0.195 deaths / travel year.

Oilinki, there are about 196 countries on the planet, and Australian like to travel. At any one given time, there would be more Australians in all the other countries put together, than in Thailand, yet, more die here.

66 people died of natural causes, which could happen anywhere, so I will leave them out of the equation. (sorry to speak of a human life as a number)

So, 430 - 66 = 364

364 / 5 years = 73 Australian people die in Thailand every year from misadventure.

Australia only has around 30 million people.

I would hate to see the statistics for the UK nationals.

Oilinki, there are about 196 countries on the planet, and Australian like to travel. At any one given time, there would be more Australians in all the other countries put together, than in Thailand, yet, more die here.

66 people died of natural causes, which could happen anywhere, so I will leave them out of the equation. (sorry to speak of a human life as a number)

So, 430 - 66 = 364

364 / 5 years = 73 Australian people die in Thailand every year from misadventure.

in 2011 Australian population was around 23 million - it's not 30 million

So, 430 - 66 = 364

in 2011 Australian population was around 23 million - it's not 30 million

Yes, you are correct. I will stand corrected.

http://www.abs.gov.a...63?OpenDocument

As mentioned, I would hate to see the stats from the larger countries like England, let alone, the total deaths here of all foreign nationals, from every country, which would be staggering.

Edited by NamKangMan

So, 430 - 66 = 364

No.

First: "Over the same period a total of 4,552 Australians died in overseas locations." So that's the number of deaths for Australians in overseas in 5 years. About 10% of these deaths occurred in Thailand.

Now, go an find the information how many trips overall the Australians did during that period and how many of these were done to Thailand, NZ, Greece, Mexico, USA, UK and so on. Then you can get more accurate information if Aussies are more likely to die in Thailand compared to other countries.

In year 2010 there were 143500 deaths (393 every day) in Australia. By your logic Australia has to be very, very dangerous place for Australians. Now do you understand why just a number of deaths has no importance to determine how dangerous one country is.. if the number of visits and time spend on that country is not counted on.

Edited by Guest