Finding Thai Builders

seesip

A few posters have recommended working with architects through the local gov't administration, who are qualified, affordable, and streamline the approval process since they are involved in the final approval for the building plans.

Is it also possible to find builders through the same route? If so how do you go about contacting them--is it through the architects that works for the gov't? Looking for a builder for a small residential project. Thanks.

Best thing to do is to check out some local building projects and talk to the crews. Get some references and check with the clients to see how they did. That's what we did and ended up with a build crew that was pure gold. We initially had talked to a land department official who did building projects but his quotes for a pond and house build were twice what we ended up paying, so be careful.

The Tessabann or Orbitor draftsmen can give you some names as well, especially after they see your plans. Be forewarned that building in Thailand is full of pitfalls. Had I known the potential problems that you can run into, I don't think I would have considered building. We were just plain lucky to find the crew we did. We did a bit of research, but in the end it was luck.

What area are you planning on building in?

I can recommend a good builder. He built our guesthouse and is currently building a house for a friend.

Can speak enough English, discusses all aspects from initial planning and as the build progresses and will accommodate any changes without looking to rip you off!

PM me if you would like contact details.

Be careful most thai builders do not have a string line. When building my house workers were building blocks straight as a dog pissing in the snow. Ahh i have a great idea i go and buy some string lines for them, wife gives them to the foreman he says thank you i can use that to repair my fishing net t.i.t.

Be careful most thai builders do not have a string line. When building my house workers were building blocks straight as a dog pissing in the snow. Ahh i have a great idea i go and buy some string lines for them, wife gives them to the foreman he says thank you i can use that to repair my fishing net t.i.t.

That makes me laugh. Years ago we employed builders who had no idea how to build a true/straight/square wall. The next building I managed the quality control by myself.

Best thing to do is to check out some local building projects and talk to the crews. Get some references and check with the clients to see how they did.

Good advice. It takes some footwork but anything worthwhile does. Find some construction work you like and get the people who did it to do it for you. But as TDog said you are going to need some luck too.