Marriage

battersea

Thanks to all for the previous help....

here's the situation...(I am from UK)

The future missus called the Thai Immigration Office today and they told her that in order for me to get married in Thailand to a Thai i needed to do the following ;

1) Get a document from Uk confirming that i am not a criminal and have never been to jail, that i have a good credit record and never have been married before.

2) Take said document to British Embassy in BKK which they will authorise and stamp to gurantee the document.

3) Then i take this document to Chaeng Wattana where they will translate it for me along with my passport and wifes tabien baan , id card ..

40 After a few days when it has been checked by several departments.. we go to get married and register it in the local ampur. then we take it back to the British Embassy where they will register the marriage..

Has anyone heard of this procedure before...or has my missus been fed the wrong info ???

You will need a form Affirmation of Freedom to Marry Affirmation of freedom (example) [PDF, 9.9 Kb] you can save this and fill in your own details. Supply confirmation ie divorced you will need the original Decree Absolute. + all the info that they require on the form.

Take it to the British Embassy and get it authenticated. Then You need this translated to Thai (this can be done at the MFA) -Then to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) where after translation you get the documents stamped and signed at the MFA. This could take 2 days or if you pay extra they will do it in one, be prepared for a long wait.

All done then you are free to marry, if your GF was married before she will need her divorce cert from her local Amphur office.

Then off to the Amphur office with all the Docs, your passport and wifes tabien baan and 30 min later the deed will be complete and you hardly need to say a word, unlike the west.

How to register a marriage from the British Embassy website.

Edited by Tafia

Same procedure as 15 years ago. We had to pay the office that recorded the documents in Bangkok extra money because they wouldn't stamp the papers the same day and we had flights back North because we didn't know that standard procedure was more than one day! Good luck. Once past the recording of the docs in Bangkok, the rest is simple and easy. Warning, at the local Ampur you will sign lots of documents all in Thai with a lot of fine print. No interpreter and your Thai wife will not want to translate what your signing.

1) Get a document from Uk confirming that i am not a criminal and have never been to jail, that i have a good credit record and never have been married before.

So in regard to the above...if i am a UK citizen ....do i need a criminal records check in order to marry a Thai National...????

Criminal record checks and credit checks are not required by either the Thai authorities or the British embassy; although I understand that some embassies do require the former.

See the link provided earlier by Tafia.

BTW, you cannot register your marriage at the British embassy; you register it at an ampur.

What you can do is deposit a copy of your Thai marriage certificate with the general registry office in the UK via the embassy. The advantages of doing this are:

• Should you be in the UK and lose the original you can obtain a copy from the GRO.
  • Er......that's it.

It costs, currently, 1750 baht, and I don't know of anyone who has bothered to do this.

See Depositing marriage documents in the UK.

Your Thai marriage certificate is the legal document and will be recognised as such on each and every occasion you need a marriage certificate in the UK; including any visa applications. However, you will also need a translation, and it is a lot cheaper to have this done in Thailand than in the UK. The translation should include the name, address and contact details of the bureau that translated it and be certified as correct by them.

For UK purposes there is no need to have the translation of your marriage certificate authenticated by the Thai MFA. However some countries require this, for example were you to use it to apply for a Schengen visa for Europe, so it's worth having it done.

Moved to Marraige Forum.

Translation into Thai is not done by the foreign ministry, you have to use a translation service (several near the MFA) and then go to the MFA, consular section.

I didn't say translation could be done by the MFA but at The MFA

I omitted to say there is a small office at the MFA and also many independents offering a translation service there.

I apologise for any confusion.

Edited by Tafia

So in regard to the above...if i am a UK citizen ....do i need a criminal records check in order to marry a Thai National...????

No

and don't sign the Affirmation, it has to be signed in front of the Embassy staff.

Edited by Tafia