Single Woman Moving To Phuket From Us

sunshine4you

Hi,

I know that all of you have heard this one many time before, but I am needing some updated and hopefully different questions answered. I am a 43yr old single female planning to make the move to Phuket. I have been coming to Phuket for about 6yrs and usually stay anywhere from a month to 3 months. I love the culture, people and just about everything about Thailand, with most of my friends being Thai nationals. I've come to a place in life where moving over is a possibilty and want to check it out. I plan on coming in June and staying for 6mo to assess things. Such as cost of living, employment options, business opportunities, basically living a non-tourist lifestyle.

Here are my questions: One, Im am completely baffled by the visa situation. I am not sure which type of visa to apply for? I have looked on the Thai embassy site here in California and it really is quite vague. I would like a work permit but with no job, not an option. I have heard it is more difficult to get a work permit in Thailand. I don't really know what I am eligable for. I have money, but am not going to stick 2 million bt in my bank account over there. Main reason is...very difficult to get back out, and it is soundly invested here in the states. Second, employment opportunities? My professional background is in social work, which we all know that is not a needed profession in Thailand, especially if I am not extremely fluent in the language. I do not have a college degree, but have many years experience in bar management as well. I just havent seen alot of farang women working at a business in Phuket, they usually own it. So, I am wondering if you have any advice on that. I am not opposed to opening a small business in Patong but not sure what type. Third and most important is health insurance? I pay out the nose for insurance here in California but need to make sure my assets are covered. I would like to drop that policy when I come over. When I get sick I have a doctor in Patong that I see, very cheap..so I dont need full coverage. I am mainly worried about catastrphic illness, or accident. There are alot of sites for this, but not sure what companies are truely legitimate. Also, will Thai health insurance cover me if I am out of the country?

I am really sorry for the long post, I have been all over the web and searched through the forum here. I would like to know about cost of living..but that is not a answer anyone can really give. Any feeback would be greatly appreciated. BTW, nice to meet all of you! *S*

Basically the only way to work here is to buy a business.....most businesses fail here in 6 to 12 months. There are a lot of farang teaching in Thailand. As you have a degree you would need to do a TEFL course, but the competition for teaching jobs in Phuket is fierce. Ajob in the south or in Bangkok is muxh easier.

There are often social work - type jobs with NGO's - see the employment pages of the Bangkok Post or the Nation. These are the best jobs, US wages and health insurance provided.

I have health insurance with AIA, the US compny - about 4,500 baht every 3 months.

We zll love it here, but it is not an easy place to live and work. Try to get a non-immigrant O or B visa from one of the smaller consulates in the US. You can usually get 12 months on the ground of @I am going to buy a busineess@. This will give you time to look around.

Good luck.

PM me for any specifics.

Basically the only way to work here is to buy a business.....most businesses fail here in 6 to 12 months. There are a lot of farang teaching in Thailand. As you have a degree you would need to do a TEFL course, but the competition for teaching jobs in Phuket is fierce. Ajob in the south or in Bangkok is muxh easier.

There are often social work - type jobs with NGO's - see the employment pages of the Bangkok Post or the Nation. These are the best jobs, US wages and health insurance provided.

I have health insurance with AIA, the US compny - about 4,500 baht every 3 months.

We zll love it here, but it is not an easy place to live and work. Try to get a non-immigrant O or B visa from one of the smaller consulates in the US. You can usually get 12 months on the ground of @I am going to buy a busineess@. This will give you time to look around.

Good luck.

PM me for any specifics.

Thanks Patong Bob,

I appreciate the info, the Visa info is extremely helpful. I was not aware that was even an option. The embassys and such are very vague to say the least. I'll look into the insurance, the price is right...that is for sure.*S* Thanks again, you have been very kind to take the time...take care...

Sunshine

Your best bet is to apply for a double entry tourist visa. This allows you 6 months total in thailand and only need to drive to the boarder once in that time frame. You can always head to Malaysia later if you find you will stay and apply for a Type B ( business visa). Forget about the business visa as you don't need it for now.

Teaching pays enough to get by (about 30-40,000/month) but you'll need your TEFL certifcate which there are plenty of school here offering

As your under 52 you can't get a retirement visa so no amount of money in the bank will help you

I use Bupa for insurance which is like the blue cross in america. For myself and daughter it runs $1,000/year for the highest plan.

Its a great place to live and be but if you think about a business, figure you'll need all the money to set it up and then enough to make it thru 6-9 months minimum figuring that you will make zero. Most people come and invest figuring they will make money right away and end up broke in 4 months. Its a long off season, april-nov.

There are already enough bars/resturants/dive shops etc

Good luck.

PM me for any specifics.

Edited by phuketrichard

The advice from Phuket Richard is correct and I have no problem with it.

But..............

If you find a business you want, then you can't buy it on a tourist visa.

You will have to leave the country and apply outside for a non-immigant O or B. And they are much easier to get from the smaller consulates overseas, in USA or in my country, Australia. Do not try an Embassy, if you want to see the worst of the Thai Foreign Affairs, try applying in Washington, Canberra, KL, or Singapore.

And DO NOT buy a business on a tourist visa and put it into a "friend"'s name. Sadly, althought I love Thailand, I can guarantee that you will regret it.

Bob;

Don't wnat to get in anargument here with ya but

Anyone can buy a business, ( I have owned a few and never had a type b or o visa before) you don't need a type b visa or a work permit to own a buisness. ONLY if you want to work. Your talking about diferent things here.

If you find one you like and I doubt it, you can always run down to Kl, Penang, Singapore and get a type "b" visa easy enough.

I have never had any trouble with the Thai embassy in Washington dc or in Singapore, (type "b", type "o", double tourist) in my 20 odd years of getting visas of all kinds.

In fact one of the worst places is the consulate in LA.

But..............

You will have to leave the country and apply outside for a non-immigant O or B. And they are much easier to get from the smaller consulates overseas, in USA or in my country, Australia. Do not try an Embassy, if you want to see the worst of the Thai Foreign Affairs, try applying in Washington, Canberra, KL, or Singapore.

And DO NOT buy a business on a tourist visa and put it into a "friend"'s name. Sadly, althought I love Thailand, I can guarantee that you will regret it.

I thought it was age 50 for a retirement visa (where you deposit 800,000 baht in the bank etc)...? Where did 52 come from?

Thanks,

-pb

As your under 52 you can't get a retirement visa so no amount of money in the bank will help you

Bob;

Anyone can buy a business, ( I have owned a few and never had a type b or o visa before) you don't need a type b visa or a work permit to own a buisness. ONLY if you want to work. Your talking about diferent things here.

If you find one you like and I doubt it, you can always run down to Kl, Penang, Singapore and get a type "b" visa easy enough.

I have never had any trouble with the Thai embassy in Washington dc or in Singapore, (type "b", type "o", double tourist) in my 20 odd years of getting visas of all kinds.

But..............

Hi PhuketRichard,

Thanks for the info. Wondering why is the embassy/consulate in L.A. so bad? The Thai people I know here in California tell me it will be no problem. Are you speaking of a specific visa? I have decided to come on a non-immigrant type O visa. Did you have a bad experience with L.A.? Thanks again for your feedback..*S*

Sunshine...

• 3 weeks later...

Normally with immigration and such restrictions of sending money back out of a country, a lawfirm would charge you money for advising a contruct similar to this:

You would register a company in Thailand, then you would apply for a foreign loan through the countries reserve bank or whatever authority is responsible in that country. The loan is given to you by some other company (which you can just set up offshore somewhere). SO you pretty much loan your own money to your Thai company, make sure when you transfer it into Thailand that it gets registered under this foreign loan.

THen you would be able to send it back out if you decide to leave Thailand, since your company obviously needs to pay the loan back to your other company.

Then if your Thai business employs some Thai people, the government should really like to see this.

If your business is Tourism related it should also be welcome by any government, since it contributes to foreigners coming and spending their money.

Also make sure your business pays tax.

This is just the general idea applicable to many countries if you have money and want to get a business visa. In some countries a certain amount of investment or certain amount of employees is required and you might have to prove your prior business experience, I dont know about Thailand.

You dont need a law firm just read up here BUT if u do from a company u need a lawyer to do it for u. Average costs is around

35,000 baht ( $900)

Maybe if your going to invest millions but all the friends i know just bring their own money in or have it transfered. I have never heard of anyone getting a bank loan.

If u have a thai company you HAVE to employ thais. ALSO unless your american the company has to be 51% thai owners. If ur american u can own 100%. For evey 7 thais and 2,000,000 asets u get 1 work permit which gets you a type B visa.

Read up here for all the requirments BEFORE u jump into doing business here. I know thta more than 50% of westerns that open a busines shere go bust within a year UNLESS they keep it afloat thru money form home.

Normally with immigration and such restrictions of sending money back out of a country, a lawfirm would charge you money for advising a contruct similar to this:

You would register a company in Thailand, then you would apply for a foreign loan through the countries reserve bank or whatever authority is responsible in that country. The loan is given to you by some other company (which you can just set up offshore somewhere). SO you pretty much loan your own money to your Thai company, make sure when you transfer it into Thailand that it gets registered under this foreign loan.

THen you would be able to send it back out if you decide to leave Thailand, since your company obviously needs to pay the loan back to your other company.

Then if your Thai business employs some Thai people, the government should really like to see this.

If your business is Tourism related it should also be welcome by any government, since it contributes to foreigners coming and spending their money.

Also make sure your business pays tax.

This is just the general idea applicable to many countries if you have money and want to get a business visa. In some countries a certain amount of investment or certain amount of employees is required and you might have to prove your prior business experience, I dont know about Thailand.

phuketrichard, I am not planning on doing business in Thailand at all, I have never been to Thailand. In my post I only adressed the general concern about restrictions for sending money back out of a country. I also did not mention a bank loan, you use only your own funds, not funds borrowed from any bank, if you read my post carefully.

Edited by g00dgirl

And I quote what u said,

"then you would apply for a foreign loan through the countries reserve bank or whatever authority is responsible in that country. The loan is given to you by some other company (which you can just set up offshore somewhere)."

It seems ur talking about something u have no idea about. Rather than making posts like this and confusing someone keep it to yourself.

Good idea ur not going to be doing buisiness here :-)

quote name='g00dgirl' date='2006-02-14 19:35:01' post='644573']

phuketrichard, I am not planning on doing business in Thailand at all, I have never been to Thailand. In my post I only adressed the general concern about restrictions for sending money back out of a country. I also did not mention a bank loan, you use only your own funds, not funds borrowed from any bank, if you read my post carefully.

.....Wondering why is the embassy/consulate in L.A. so bad? The Thai people I know here in California tell me it will be no problem. Are you speaking of a specific visa? I have decided to come on a non-immigrant type O visa. Did you have a bad experience with L.A.? Thanks again for your feedback..*S*

Sunshine...

For what it's worth, I have been dealing with the consulate in LA on and off for twenty years without any particular difficulty. Most of the complaints I have heard about it come, oddly enough, from Thais who are prone to claim that the personnel there think they are better than other Thais because they live in LA (!).

While, in my experience, the Thais working in the LA consulate fall a long way sort of the warm-wonderful-human-being category, so do most of the foreigners whose prattling they have to put up with everyday. Do your homework, know what you want and what the requirements are, and behave in a polite and professional way. Unless you are particularly unlucky on the day and draw someone who is in a really bad mood, as you could in any country's consulate in any city anywhere, I would be very surprised if you have a problem.

.....Wondering why is the embassy/consulate in L.A. so bad? The Thai people I know here in California tell me it will be no problem. Are you speaking of a specific visa? I have decided to come on a non-immigrant type O visa. Did you have a bad experience with L.A.? Thanks again for your feedback..*S*

Sunshine...

For what it's worth, I have been dealing with the consulate in LA on and off for twenty years without any particular difficulty. Most of the complaints I have heard about it come, oddly enough, from Thais who are prone to claim that the personnel there think they are better than other Thais because they live in LA (!).

While, in my experience, the Thais working in the LA consulate fall a long way sort of the warm-wonderful-human-being category, so do most of the foreigners whose prattling they have to put up with everyday. Do your homework, know what you want and what the requirements are, and behave in a polite and professional way. Unless you are particularly unlucky on the day and draw someone who is in a really bad mood, as you could in any country's consulate in any city anywhere, I would be very surprised if you have a problem.

Ok, to set it right, I had a 1 year type "B" visa and a valid work permit. I needed to renew my type "B" visa. No big deal. Had letters from all the right people as this was not my first reneal for a 1 year visa so I know what I needed and supplied the copies and original. I sent the application in with my pp while I was in SF and waited and waited and waited. Finally after 2 weeks I called and asked what is going on.

I was then passed to some thai lady who told me she could not issue me a type"B" visa and that that had to be issued in Thailand.. complete and utter lie as i had type "b" visa for years.

She then told me the only thing she could issue me was a tourist visa. Ok if i return to thailand on a tourist visa it invalidates my work permit. She said no it wouldn't. I knew it would and no amount of pleading or asking to speak to someone else did any good. SHE of course WAS RIGHT>

I was really pissed, travelled back to thailand of course coming in on a tourist visa made my work permit invalid and I had to go thru the whole paperwork over, Takes months.

They asked me why id didn't get another type "B" and i told her and she just laughed.

SO beware.

Bob;

But..............

Hi PhuketRichard,

Thanks for the info. Wondering why is the embassy/consulate in L.A. so bad? The Thai people I know here in California tell me it will be no problem. Are you speaking of a specific visa? I have decided to come on a non-immigrant type O visa. Did you have a bad experience with L.A.? Thanks again for your feedback..*S*

Sunshine...

Correct me if I am wrong but Sunshine can not "come on a non-immigrant type O visa" as she is too young for a retirement visa and is not a dependent. Did I miss something?

P

I think you missed a lot, Pgrin,

go to the section of the forum where Thai Visas are discussed and type in Non immigrant visa in the search box, you will get all the advice there.

Patong Bob.

PB,

Non Imm O visa is for retirement, married to a Thai and/or dependent on a Thai national. Can you tell me any other qualification for Non Im O?

Pgrin

Why not do what I first suggested ? Income, pension or other from overseas, although not enough for a retirement visa will get you a 12 month multiple entry. There are other ways, look in the Thai Visas & Immigration forum.

PB,

1) I dont need a visa I'm already here

2) The original poster is a 43 y/o female who is not married to a Thai nor supporting a Thai

3) She states she will just come in on a Non Imm O visa

4) What does she state under reason to visit to qualify for a non imm O visa

5) Any one else want to jump in here?

P

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pgrin and Patong Bob,

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I havent been online much due to my Fathers health. I am still planning on coming the end of May or begining of June. The type of visa I discussed (non im type O), is something that was suggested by a friend. I havent had time to do my homework so to speak. It has been told to me, that I will only be eligable for a tourist visa 90days...and then have to make visa runs. But, I have also heard that I could get the 12month visa.

Everyone has been very helpful and I am thankful for all of the help. Any suggestions, on any issue that you find relative to my move over, is very much appreciated. Thanks again, if you have any questions of me..please ask. I may be overlooking something. Take care...

Sunshine... :o

Try searching the visa forum for some ideas about obtaining a non-imm visa. Also, it is much easier to obtain from consulates rather than the embassy in DC or the consulates in LA or NY. Check out the Thai embassy website for a listing of consulates you can apply to for a visa.

Good luck cause you will be coming smack dab in the middle of the hot season! :o

Try searching the visa forum for some ideas about obtaining a non-imm visa. Also, it is much easier to obtain from consulates rather than the embassy in DC or the consulates in LA or NY. Check out the Thai embassy website for a listing of consulates you can apply to for a visa.

Good luck cause you will be coming smack dab in the middle of the hot season! :o

Hello SBK,

Well thank you for the reply. I have found, the more I search and read...the more confused I am. lol I have to laugh at the way the varied visa's are described in the forum and at the consulate web site. Attorneys in America are almost easier to understand. *S* From what I gather, I am eligible for a multi entry tourist visa ...now dont ask me how it works..that I will figure out after my brain gets deboggled. I just wonder if it is better to obtain a visa in person or through the mail. I have read it is not difficult either way. I appreciate your reply, everyone has been so helpful. Thanks again...

Sunshine...

First the Embassy in dc is excellent and never any toruble and i have dlet with them fo years and yeras

You can very easily apply for a mulitple toursit visa, Each entyr is valid for 60 days. Usually this is good for 9 months

OR cheaper apply for a double entry tourist visa and after the first 2 months get an extension for one month, leave for a day and then your back inon another 60 days, ask for another 1 month extension and u get a total of 8 months.

You can ask them at the Embassy in person ( better) for a non immigrant type B tell them your going there to look inot buyina business and moving there. They are pretty nice baout it if your dressed nice and speak politly.

Whatever, getting viasa in asia ( Singapore/Malaysia/HK) is not a problem

Forget lawyers... they only take ur money. u will get the same info here as from them

Phuket is great in May/june as not hight season and its windy . :-)

Hello SBK,

Well thank you for the reply. I have found, the more I search and read...the more confused I am. lol I have to laugh at the way the varied visa's are described in the forum and at the consulate web site. Attorneys in America are almost easier to understand. *S* From what I gather, I am eligible for a multi entry tourist visa ...now dont ask me how it works..that I will figure out after my brain gets deboggled. I just wonder if it is better to obtain a visa in person or through the mail. I have read it is not difficult either way. I appreciate your reply, everyone has been so helpful. Thanks again...

Sunshine...

First the Embassy in dc is excellent and never any toruble and i have dlet with them fo years and yeras

You can very easily apply for a mulitple toursit visa, Each entyr is valid for 60 days. Usually this is good for 9 months

OR cheaper apply for a double entry tourist visa and after the first 2 months get an extension for one month, leave for a day and then your back inon another 60 days, ask for another 1 month extension and u get a total of 8 months.

You can ask them at the Embassy in person ( better) for a non immigrant type B tell them your going there to look inot buyina business and moving there. They are pretty nice baout it if your dressed nice and speak politly.

Whatever, getting viasa in asia ( Singapore/Malaysia/HK) is not a problem

Forget lawyers... they only take ur money. u will get the same info here as from them

Phuket is great in May/june as not hight season and its windy . :-)

Hello SBK,

Sunshine...

Sunny,

Here is the 411 on tourist visas. Get yourself a triple entry tourist visa. The closer you obtain the visa to your Thai arrival date the better as the visa expires 180 days from issue not from arrival in Thailand. That being said I recomend doing it in person to control the lag time and remove the fear of your passport being lost in the mail. This will give you about 270 days in Thailand minus the lag for about $300.00 or 12,ooo Baht. That's 3 entries at $20 each($60.00) plus 3 one month extensions at 1900 baht each($140.00) plus 2 visa runs at 1500 baht each ($75.00). Plus $25.00 "rush fee" at the consular office for one day service. The time line is get the visa, come to Thailand, 60 days later(or before) apply for first ext. 30 days late first visa run, burn your second entry. 60 days later apply for your second ext. Now this is where it gets tricky, your second visa run must be completed before your visa expires so it will be less then the full 30 day ext. Return to Thailand and burn your third entry. 60 days later 30 day ext. Time to do it all over again.

P