• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 soldiers killed, one hurt in Pattani

The Nation on Sunday

30187190-01_big.jpg

PATTANI:-- Four soldiers were killed and one injured early yesterday when 18 insurgents in three pickup trucks opened fire on them in Pattani's Ma-Yor district.

The six-soldier team on three motorcycles was patrolling a road in Tambon Thanon at 7am when the insurgents chased and shot at them with AKA and M16 rifles and a shotgun. The soldiers on the first two motorbikes fell and the insurgents shot them at close range before stealing four M16s, radios and bullet-proof vests.

The insurgents' bullets missed the third motorbike. The surviving soldiers fought a brief gunfight before the insurgents retreated.

Sgt Leuchai Julthong, Private Ekkalak Sidokmai, Private Pakim Hongmak and Private Benjarong Sikaew were killed, while Sgt Preeda Noppakhun was injured. The attack was captured by a security camera in the area.

Meanwhile, a suspected insurgent shot and wounded Ban Yaba assistant village headman Amran Samoh, 29, at 5.30am yesterday in Narathiwat's Rusoh district while he was riding a motorbike to Ramadan prayers at a local mosque.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-29

footer_n.gif

As I am typing this from my couch here in the U.S, and NOT picking any sides nor condoning this act of violence.... , what do the Thai's expect when their beloved military in Southern Thailand were beating up and killing those Muslm men? Did you honestly believe payback wasn't coming? Its in their blood. It might be available in Thailand, but that video can be seen everywhere else.

• Like 1

The issue is that they come from exactly that spot. They are not ethnic Thai, speak a different language and just about few decades ago they had their own Kingdom kind of state, independent and didn't belong or were a part of Thailand.

Muslims in Spain have nothing to do with it, but back then when they were in Spain, they had the most modern cities of that time.

Edited by cdnvic
removed deleted quote

We can learn a lot from this video. First the Army have young soldiers, some possibly young enough to be on their national service, patrolling in broad daylight on low power motorcycles in a patrol of just 6 men. Two thirds of them killed instantly by a bunch of clearly well trained guys in track suit pants in pickups. None of them look afraid about exchanging fire with the two surviving soldiers who are out of the picture. With this patrol strategy it seems the Army isn't serious about basic safety for their troops nor about combatting the insurgency. There will be more needless deaths until they start putting in the right troops with the right equipment and the right strategy.

I trust you are being sarcastic?

Awful, saw this on TV this morning, yeah great in the name of religion.

So, we know already it was in the name of religion and have a religious backround??? ....or is it just the usamerican scareeverybodyshitless theorie?

I think we really should wait for an explanation...and may be Thailand should consider giving the south up to Malaysia or whatever....as long as things like this happen Thailand can really called itself AMAZING .... but please NOT TO ATRACT MORE TOURISTS

Handed out some long suspensions for attacks on religious groups. The anger at the perpatrators in this story is justified, but blaming almost a billion people for it is not. Any further violations will be handled similarly.

I know I am on thin ice here, correcting the mod, who just gave me a week "holiday", but the number of moslems worldwide is more than 1,5 billion!thumbsup.gif

Back to the topic. Those acts of violence in the South have nothing whatsoever to do with religion, as shown by the condemniation from Islam leaders in the region. A bunch of small maverick drugtraders, who are using their kratong-chewing thugs to create chaos, so they can go on with their dirty business.bah.gif

• Like 1

For those who are rather angry at this latest attack...

please read my post (#16) on this thread and perhaps

think a bit before shouts are tossed around...

http://www.thaivisa....e-police-killed

-in-thai-south-roadside-bomb/

Anger is high...but let's not blame almost a billion people

for the actions of a few...as cdnvic mentioned. If we do,

then we're no better than they are.

Religion is almost periphery to attacks such as these

It is the fundamentalists and fanatics who use and misuse the words and teachings of their chosen religion that is the problem. These people are not representative of the groups at all.

This applies to any religion, or any group, the world over.

• Like 2

There has been some commentary in the Thai press suggesting that some of the killings in the Deep South are related to the drugs for weapons trade here in Thailand.

Handed out some long suspensions for attacks on religious groups. The anger at the perpatrators in this story is justified, but blaming almost a billion people for it is not. Any further violations will be handled similarly.

I know I am on thin ice here, correcting the mod, who just gave me a week "holiday", but the number of moslems worldwide is more than 1,5 billion!thumbsup.gif

Back to the topic. Those acts of violence in the South have nothing whatsoever to do with religion, as shown by the condemniation from Islam leaders in the region. A bunch of small maverick drugtraders, who are using their kratong-chewing thugs to create chaos, so they can go on with their dirty business.bah.gif

Really - any links to some on-line resources to explain your theory ?

I thought the problems there were much more complicated than that - country within a country issues similar to the problems Indonesia had with Aceh in N Sumatra. Indonesia has been able to solve that problem after a long and bloody insurgency - so there is hope for S Thailand.

I think that there have been atrocities from both sides in S. Thailand and the sooner a peace accord or ceasefire is reached, the better IMHO.

Edited by londoedan

For those who are rather angry at this latest attack...

please read my post (#16) on this thread and perhaps

think a bit before shouts are tossed around...

http://www.thaivisa....e-police-killed

-in-thai-south-roadside-bomb/

Anger is high...but let's not blame almost a billion people

for the actions of a few...as cdnvic mentioned. If we do,

then we're no better than they are.

Religion is almost periphery to attacks such as these

It is the fundamentalists and fanatics who use and misuse the words and teachings of their chosen religion that is the problem. These people are not representative of the groups at all.

This applies to any religion, or any group, the world over.

Well Stated Mr Bookman...Well Stated!