Serious Smoke/Smell Problem With Street Vendor

joe999

Hi,

My house is next to a hospital that has several fixed and mobile food vendors selling their stuff from morning 'til evening. My problem is with only one and in particular. This guy comes on a motorbike with sidecar, a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening, everyday, and cooks and sells roast pork on a stick. What makes it worse, he uses a fan to suck the smoke from the hot coals through the meat. He always parks on the other side of the road about 3-4m from the wall to my property

This creates a huge amount of smoke and smell that covers a huge area, all over my garden and house. Even with doors and windows closed, the smoke and smell still manages to get into the house. Really stings my eyes and irritates my throat all the time.

Not sure how or if I can get rid of this guy. Thought about complaining to the local police, but I was told that it is a waste of time.

There must be some legal way to handle this. Lack of license, pollution, ... I don't know... there must be some way that can even force the authorities to take action (even if they don't want to).

I would appreciate any advice or ideas. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joe

How about settings up a "stinky device" that will drive away the customers and force the hawker to move ? Although given the average amount of .. ermh... scents in the air in Thai cities it would have to be so strong you'd have to move away yourself until the desired result has been reached.

Industrial fans. I got mine to increase ventilation at one of my businesses.... but I'd bet they'd help.

I don't know what the lay out is, but you may have to build stands or a platform for that fan to aim it properly.

:)

You live next door to a hospital. Go and speak to one of the higher ranking hospital staff, explain the health risks and they will be able to shut this guy down.

Some years back my neighbour was making charcoal from bamboo offcuts, the smell from the fumes made it impossible to stay in my house. I went to the local government health centre and explained the situation and it was shut down the same day. The irony was that my neighbour was employed by the health department to seek out and shut down health risks such as this. He thought that he could get away with it because of his position.

You live next door to a hospital. Go and speak to one of the higher ranking hospital staff, explain the health risks and they will be able to shut this guy down.

Some years back my neighbour was making charcoal from bamboo offcuts, the smell from the fumes made it impossible to stay in my house. I went to the local government health centre and explained the situation and it was shut down the same day. The irony was that my neighbour was employed by the health department to seek out and shut down health risks such as this. He thought that he could get away with it because of his position.

Good advice, but a well placed stink bomb is more fun.biggrin.png

Have you tried asking him?

They may be just civil enough to move due to the annoyance they are creating (hopefully).

The market I frequent has a problem stall that burns grease and suffocates the other stalls and people eating nearby. They all have to wear masks. But when it happens they all laugh and smile, but never complain, just cough and hold their air, or breath the fumes.

I'm glad I don't work there. So I laugh too!

• Like 1