Death Of My Father In Thailand 3 Weeks Ago

notouchmonkey

Having checked, you are right. But I also think the Thai wife may have problems getting into the UK, unless she has a UK passport? She would also need to find and afford a UK solicitor to act on her behalf. Either way it will be harder for her to execute the will than it would be for the relatives!

It may not be moral, but splitting a deceased persons estate always leave one or two who feel they should have more!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having checked, you are right. But I also think the Thai wife may have problems getting into the UK, unless she has a UK passport? She would also need to find and afford a UK solicitor to act on her behalf. Either way it will be harder for her to execute the will than it would be for the relatives!

It may not be moral, but splitting a deceased persons estate always leave one or two who feel they should have more!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

If the Public Trustee is appointed they will have no hesitation in securing and selling the house so the assets may be distributed in accordance with the will. THe only way I see arround it is if the remaining relatives borrow sufficient money to pay out the legacy to the wife and their full share of the legal fees and then agree to take a charge over the house.

Edited by harrry

i know it may not seem like it but actually i am keen to try and understand the situation and the motivations of his wife. there is a big cultural divide and i am beginning to understand that abject poverty is a very real motivation for the actions of some ladies in thailand. there has to be some compassion for that.

I think you can tell from the ATM card use her motives (and the fact he met her in a bar in Pattaya).

Greed and avarice.

But she was with him for 8 years, so maybe she is entitled.

First, sorry for your loss.

Second, maybe you should understand exactly what a Pattaya bar girl is and their motives.

Abject poverty is NOT the usual reason - it is laziness and a criminal, conniving mind.

She was with him for 8 years - so what - she should get nothing. The man's REAL family should get it all.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here....who's money are we talking about? Ahhhhh, it was the guy's money. So shouldn't HE decide who HE should give HIS money to? And let's be clear, there is zero evidence of foul play, as far as I can tell. Who knows...maybe the 8 years were the best years of his life. I don't think even the guy's "real" family (whatever that means) gets to decide what the man does with HIS money. Just saying...

Quite so, and a judge in an English court might well say the same. The OP's father, by her account, was hale and hearty when he made the will, so it would be very difficult to argue that he didn't know what he was doing when he made it. We don't know the value of his assets in Thailand, but presumably they were not a great amount - that is what he bequeathed the lady who had been his companion for the last 8 years of his life, and his wife for 1 year, along with £40,000, i.e. just a proportion of his assets. We also don't know how much his house is worth, but even allowing for whatever taxes are due (which may be zero unless the house is worth far more than the approx. average value of 160k), the bulk of the estate appears to benefit the OP and sibling(s), not the wife. It's not as if he completely dumped the previous beneficiaries in favour of his wife. Given those circumstances, I can't see how a case would even get to court, and if it did I doubt any judge would say that the testator was not compos mentis and the wife is entitled to nothing.

So all those posters urging the OP to contest the will are not thinking straight. She has already said there is no evidence of foul play in her father's death, so it simply doesn't come into consideration when dealing with the will. She doesn't seem to make an issue about whatever assets there were in Thailand, so all that remains is sorting out a secure tenure in the house for her grandmother, and recouping the ATM withdrawals made after her father's death.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

@marstons. Who is ones TRUE family? The one who gave an old man 8 (hopefully) good last years or the family back home, who he was in touch with for X-mas and birthdays ?

Personally I would leave it to my Thai family=wife, who has given me 10 good years, despite my grumpyness and sarcastic attitude.whistling.gif

I have a grown up son in my homecountry, who already had the advantage of growing up in a developed country and thanks to a good education hopefully will be succesful in his own right.

So in my mind, the TRUE family, the Thai one, is the one who deserves, whatever I leave behind.

One that would not max out illegally a deceased persons ATM card for 16 days, well if thats typical family behaviour and acceptable to you, thats your morals not mine. All i can judge is my greiving mother against this greiving widow. Robbing the dead does not figure in my TRUE family mind. Sure your next of kin never takes a dime form putting up with your grumpyness.

I would treat this very carefully and try not to let emotions get into it

There shall be 40 per cent tax death duty

Also I would contact a Thai lawyer to get a copy of your husbands bank details

See if there were any transactions after his death or in a part of the country where you husband could not have possibly been

If you can prove she assisted his death then the inheritance shall not be valid.

Intact if he used his card from your country then you can check transactions with the bank from your own country

You need to check his bank for suspicious activity

You really need to seek a lawyer

If I am not correct I can imagine his wife has contact with a lawyer already and is working on how to obtain these assets

Be care full about coming to Thailand until u know what happened as it might be dangerous if the worst case synario has happened

Wish you the best of luck

After estate exceeds £325,000 i beleive