A Public "Thank You!" To Thai Immigration Services.

I want to publicly thank Immigration Services at the government complex at Chaengwattana for their GREAT service last week. I completed an extension of my ED visa, my 90-day resident report, and a re-entry permit in three hours last Friday. In at 8:45am and out by 12:00. Great job!!

It's heartening to know somebody has had a positive experience at Chaeng Watthana, but after many visits for many reasons over many years, my wife and I are still waiting for our first.

Maybe the congratulations should be put on hold until good service (if you can call three hours a good service) is the norm rather than the exception.

It's heartening to know somebody has had a positive experience at Chaeng Watthana, but after many visits for many reasons over many years, my wife and I are still waiting for our first.

Maybe the congratulations should be put on hold until good service (if you can call three hours a good service) is the norm rather than the exception.

The Chaeng Watthana complex is rather impressive in it's facilities and seems to contribute the Immigration Service's efficiency in some ways.

However, more than 3 hours for processing a visa is not good and I'm sure it's considerably beyond their internal quality management guidelines.

Edited by Morakot

I have only had the reason to go there once thus far and I have to agree the service was good.

It was just a 30 day extension to a tourist Visa, but in and out in under 2 hours and that's with me being a newbie, making the odd mistake which the interviewing officer was able to assist me with to produce the 'correct answer'.

Extension of my B, based on marriage (so a stack of documents required) took me only 25 minutes last week from entering to leaving the office. Usual 30 days to receive the results though. Fastest on record for me. thumbsup.gif

However, more then 3 hours for processing a visa is not good and I'm sure it's considerably beyond their internal quality management guidelines.

Exactly. And nearly two hours for a 30 day extension is not what I would put in the realms of good either.

The long waits are one of our biggest ( but not only) complaints. Surly and unhelpful staff are others. I do not want to tar every member of staff there with the same brush, individuals have at times been helpful, but looking at the bigger picture and judging them as a whole, it's never been good.

I'll give you an example that has happened in the last month. I went there for a letter from them to confirm my address so I could apply for my Thai driving license. We asked at the information desk, to be sent to one place, to then be sent to another, where the guy behind the desk shooed us away without even asking what we wanted, despite being told to queue there by an official. We then had to requeue, to be sent back to one of the places we had visited earlier. From there we were referred to a supervisor, where we waited some more, to be told a categoric 'no,' and to get it from my embassy.

Now before anyone jumps in and says 'it was obviously something you cannot get from immigration,' last week when visiting the immigration office in Pathumwan, I also asked. I was referred to the desk where you do the 90 day reporting (incidently the same as we were at CW) where they gave me the letter, no hassle and no fee. I waited 20 minutes for it which isn't unreasonable.

Extension of my B, based on marriage (so a stack of documents required) took me only 25 minutes last week from entering to leaving the office. Usual 30 days to receive the results though. Fastest on record for me. thumbsup.gif

That sounds more than reasonable, not 2 or 3 hours, which simply isn't.

The Chaeng Watthana complex is rather impressive in it's facilities and seems to contribute the Immigration Service's efficiency in some ways.

However, more than 3 hours for processing a visa is not good and I'm sure it's considerably beyond their internal quality management guidelines.

It was for processing THREE different applications/items:

1) 90-day extension of my ED visa.

2) 90-day residency report (yes, I know I can to it by mail but I do it at the center).

3) Single re-entry permit.

Three different items....not only for the visa extension.

Credit should be given when credit is due. You should always say "thank you" when someone helps you, even if it is their job. This is not an exception and it's happened this quickly before - this is simply the first time I've posted for it. Don't be negative.

Edited by Jawnie

Last Friday at Immigration Nakhon Sawan I did a 90 day report and extended my retirement visa in 32 minutes from entry to exit inclding chatting to the lady supervisor there.

There was one person in front of me and by the time I had wriiten the paperwork and sat down I was called.

For efficiency, helpfulness and pleasantry I rate NS 10 out of 10.

3 years ago before NS was opened I had to go to Mae Sot which took a bit longer as there were farangs in there with no clue but for efficiency, helpfulness and pleasantrythey were 9 out of 10.

I have never had to use Chaeng Wattana but the last time I renewed my extension at Suan Plhu it was a cross between a bear pit and a madhouse.

Quote sms747

Posted Today, 11:12

No need to publicly thank them-they are just doing the job they are paid for.

Why ever not publicly thank them for doing their job.

It is not that easy a job to do even if you are both speaking the same language but when you get people in there speaking a different language, no documents prepared shouting at the staff it is little wonder that at times they take their time.

If you go in there reasonably dressed, speak quietly and politely and have everything ready for them their response to you is reasonable and they can do their job quicker.

Edited by billd766