Using Dictation In Mountain Lion

tominbkk

Hey, are you guys using the dictation function in Mountain lion? I love it! I'm going to start getting very very lazy to type anything from now on. I used Dragon Dictation up until now but it was quite inaccurate, especially compared to the mountain lion dictation.

The only drawback is that you have to have an Internet connection and it also seems to have to be fairly good connection for it to work clearly. But it is super accurate, at least for me. I think I usually only have to correct what are two things after every couple paragraphs. You have to dictate in small chunks of maybe two or three sentences at a time at the most, but that seems okay because then you can look back at what you just dictated and make sure everything is okay. In fact, this whole thing was just dictated in about the past minute and a half. I love this feature!

• Like 1

What about background noise / talk?

I usually have the TV news or something babbling away in the back ground when I have the computer on... is it going to pick up words from that?

I've not tried it yet, it would be a bit like talking to yourself! crazy.gifbiggrin.png

What about background noise / talk?

I usually have the TV news or something babbling away in the back ground when I have the computer on... is it going to pick up words from that?

I've not tried it yet, it would be a bit like talking to yourself! crazy.gifbiggrin.png

Good night, that's no problem for me as I talk to myself constantly. The little lady is constantly asking "what did you say" when I've no idea I've spoken.

"I've not tried it yet, it would be a bit like talking to yourself"

Hi all

First of all I found that outside noise interference can effect your results slightly, but if you can turn your Aircon too low and speak at a not too rapid rate of speech, you will have good results. I use my laptop microphone as well to do my dictation, which is something that Dragon could not do without having lots of mistakes.

Yes, I have an American accent and I am sure that this helps me in the dictation area. If you have any kind of different accent it is very difficult for it to understand. as well, my training with dragon probably helped me to understand a little better how to dictate in a clear and not too quick voice. That being said, it is really much faster for me to speak them to type, and I have very very few mistakes. In fact, everything that I've written so far has only had one mistake in one word.

It's a little weird talking to yourself like this, but if you were in a room alone there's no problem. When I am around people I resort to the keyboard :-)

Finally, yes I was referring to Dragon dictate. It is a great program but takes forever to set up and really is no competition compared to the Mac dictate program. The only advantage it has is that it can be used off-line, compared to the Mac dictate which needs to be connected.