Tyre Advice Needed Please.

I have a Ford escape 2.3 L which is 18 months old and has done 30000 Km's. I took the car in for a service at the main dealer in Pattaya and reported a slight whining noise on the rear drivers side wheel. They checked it out and said the only way to cure this is to buy 4 brand new tyres. I got a second opinion at a tyre fitting shop and they said the same thing. Anyone any advice on this please?

Sounds like a load of boll..... to me. If a tyre problem, as they say, put the offending noise wheel on the front and see if your noise has moved. If the noise is still at the back then it initially points to a wheel bearing, but it can be worse. Try the tyre swop first. smile.png

If the spare is still brand new as in unused put that on, cant see how what there saying can be true. Just changed all 4 on my vigo, 7 years old, still loads of tread but had to admit were perished to hell. But still felt OK.

If the spare is still brand new as in unused put that on, cant see how what there saying can be true. Just changed all 4 on my vigo, 7 years old, still loads of tread but had to admit were perished to hell. But still felt OK.

Thanks I will try that first and then go for the swap as previously suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

Bangkokrick, Get your Escape on to a car lift / hoist and run it. If it is a 4WD you can listen at each corner for the noise and locate if it is wheel bearings or diff etc. If the noise really is from the tyres, it should disappear on the hoist.

I had an Escape a few years ago that developed a whining noise at around 250,000km. It was easy to pick the crook wheel bearing this way.