Riding A Ridge Line

Tonto21

Tonto & Fellow Riders...

I just re-watched Tonto's Mop Handle Express and was again impressed how stable things were considering the unsprung weight

of the GoPro set-up.

Looks like you used a muffler clamp or long-shackled U-bolt to afix mop stub to your handlebar stem.

Nice effect of viewing all the greenery whoosh by.

The rice paddies. Tree branches.....

No biffs or get-offs, please!

Nice work!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonto & Fellow Riders...

I just re-watched Tonto's Mop Handle Express and was again impressed how stable things were considering the unsprung weight

of the GoPro set-up.

Looks like you used a muffler clamp or long-shackled U-bolt to afix mop stub to your handlebar stem.

Nice effect of viewing all the greenery whoosh by.

The rice paddies. Tree branches.....

No biffs or get-offs, please!

Nice work!

No get offs........I hear you on that one....ha ha

I will post some photos, maybe tomorrow for you to see how I fixed it on....

Cheers

Tonto

Tonto...

I also got a cue from your TroyLeeDesign(tld) jersey.

I was about to toss a motorcycle jersey where I burned and melted the sleeve and lower section by my waist on a moto flip.

Then I spy Tonto whizzing along with a cut-off jersey.

Not possible to find a seamstress in USA under $4,000/hour. But in the Kingdom....anything can get remodeled or sewn

to fit!

Thanks for the tip Tonto!

Tonto...

I also got a cue from your TroyLeeDesign(tld) jersey.

I was about to toss a motorcycle jersey where I burned and melted the sleeve and lower section by my waist on a moto flip.

Then I spy Tonto whizzing along with a cut-off jersey.

Not possible to find a seamstress in USA under $4,000/hour. But in the Kingdom....anything can get remodeled or sewn

to fit!

Thanks for the tip Tonto!

Yes, the jersey, from my old Enduro riding days. I used to wear T shirts on the MTB, but they were soaking wet within 2 minutes and then I would stay wet, and I don’t get on with these tight cycling jerseys….I’m a bit of a porker! So I find the dirt bike jerseys spot on, light and airy.

As for it being a tip……………..Your very welcome!

Tonto

if it works, well then wth?

If your rig produces the desired results, then you've hit a home run!

Now...if we were all present, drinking beer, then we would all let loose with a volley of descriptive terms!

All in fun!

Too bad we cannot cut loose. Someone, somewhere will be offended.

That is what jokes are for!

Keep up the fine work!

VF

gorgeous pic, very nice. Lush, inviting tunnel 'o green!

How many kms did the trail meander like this?

Most of the 48 km ride was more flat and open. This last part up to the reservoir was less than 2 km and much of it was more of a hiking trail than a bike trail for me. I found it too rocky and steep in places, both going up and coming down.

The backend actually lifted up on me at one point and I ended up in the bushes. I still have some bruises on my legs from hitting the bike but there was no blood. I am sure someone with bigger balls and more skill could have hit the downhill a bit faster and managed to get past a couple of sections where I ended up taking the cowards way out.

It was a beautiful find and an interesting day. Here is what I found at the end of my search.smile.png

Huay%2520Haum%2520Dam%2520%2520002.jpg

Huay%2520Haum%2520Dam%2520%2520001.jpg

• Like 1

VF..

gorgeous pics as we have all come to expect.

nay, demand!

Very nice, soothing. I always have to do a double take with your pics.

To study what it is I'm viewing.

How safe is the water for swimming? I know I would don some goggles, a suit and swim for 2-3

hours, mai mee ban hah. Any critters or earwigs one should be aware of? Crocs?

Crocs might put a damper on things...

nice ride and pics....

Better to be safe than sorry. "...any ride that doesn't end in a trip to the hospital is a good ride!"

Our local anthem anyway, motorized or not....

VF..

gorgeous pics as we have all come to expect.

nay, demand!

Very nice, soothing. I always have to do a double take with your pics.

To study what it is I'm viewing.

How safe is the water for swimming? I know I would don some goggles, a suit and swim for 2-3

hours, mai mee ban hah. Any critters or earwigs one should be aware of? Crocs?

Crocs might put a damper on things...

nice ride and pics....

Better to be safe than sorry. "...any ride that doesn't end in a trip to the hospital is a good ride!"

Our local anthem anyway, motorized or not....

Sorry for the late reply. Perhaps it is just me but I would be a little reluctant to swim in any of the places I go. I don’t even swim in my own pond, though I do let our dog swim in it. I grew up surfing and sailing Hobie Cats but don’t seem to get much out of swimming by itself.

I suppose up in the mountains you wouldn’t have the poisons of the lowlands, used in the rice fields to kill snails and crabs. You would most likely still have residue from pesticides and herbicides used on mountain crops. Having seen many reservoirs during the low season, it is clear there are many dead trees lurking just below the surface of the water.

Fishermen often string nets that are left unattended and could get in the way of a good swim. Don’t really know about critters but I would guess there are snakes around the edges, in the tall grass.

Truth is, it should be okay but one should also be aware of the above just to make an informed choice.thumbsup.gif

VF...cotton balls puffy clouds! Wow, very nice.

Traction looks good.

Thanks for the info on swimming in the sticks in Thailand. I was more concerned about crocs and slithering snakes.

But sure, pesticides would be an obvious factor.

cool, dry season beginning for the Northland, or still some weeks of rain remain?

To be honest with you ‘burgdawg’ I really don’t know which season is better for riding off road in and around Mea Taeng….In the wet season the lowlands are a nightmare with ‘Das Bout’ type conditions and the ridges have big slippery sections of shiny red clay to deal with……..

The dry season sounds, at first like a better option……However, the sand becomes very lose, like a big sand pit, and always on high speed downhill corners…(always raises the BPM that does)

The ground going up, down or on the flat becomes very dodgy in the dry season with lots of small, and not so small stones, (like ball bearings)………….If my lungs an’t hanging out like hover bags enough, and I’m physically sucking lose leaves off the ground trying to get more air in trying to climb a 1:1…Ha ha……….In the dry season wheel-slipping on the hill is not fun!

Change sub…..

A short video, I didn’t intend to post. It’s shot backwards facing my mate, (up from Pattaya for the weekend, I made it and sent to him….I just thought I might as well post for you all to see.

Simple video…coming off ridge-line on one of my favorite routes, it takes over 12 minutes at good speed to get from the top to bottom………..Love this hill…..Please enjoy!

Cheers

Tonto

• Like 2

I'll take the traction during the rainy season any day. The last week has been dry and the steeper climbs have been real bears now that the sand and rocks can spin away.

Also.... Tonto and I are riding tomorrow morning on some excellent single track. A slow ride to take photos and do some mapping so if anyone wants to come along, send me a PM with your phone number. 8:30 AM tomorrow, Thursday near milestick 32 on the 107 before Mae Taeng.

• Like 1

Tonto..nice vid, muchas gracias.

Your buddy from Pattaya did not just bring up his mtn bike---he brought along a fresh hypnotic (nauseating?)

soundtrack straight from Lucifer's hahahahahah55555555555555

(Yeah, I know it is all that Kangnam style SoKorea beat...but still)

Nice footage being shot backwards...it gets my vote and thumbs up!

• Like 1

Tonto..I was about to throw out a broomstick/mop handle today when I realized "..hey, this is a camera mount!"

As soon as I begin collecting useful kit, I am sed laeo--finished!

I've been trying to go through Pack Rat DeTox, to no avail.....

Hope the riding condtions around Mae Taeng and CM have been awesome....

Any new Kodachrome pics from Village Farang in the offing?

I am mtn bike deprived. I've been out riding my dirt scoot in talcum powder and pumice.

No way could I pedal a mtn bike in the stuff I was in.....

• Like 1

Tonto & Crew..

I just did a closer zoom-in inspection of your cool PVC rig / cam mount that gains its support from your CamelBack.

Pretty nifty. I bet you are 5 Generations past that iteration, right? Or is the design timeless?

In the late 60s, I recall seeing this avant-garde film in Berkeley. Shot in 8mm and it was entitled "Airplane Glue, I Love You!"

All about some adult model builder that had sniffed about 45 tubes of glue too many. An adult male, with a beanie copter on his head--- was forced to

return to the 6th Grade!

Spying Tonto's camera rig made me think of this timeless classique!

I just did a Google search and the film LIVES! 1969, hahahahah!

• Like 1

Tonto & Crew..

I just did a closer zoom-in inspection of your cool PVC rig / cam mount that gains its support from your CamelBack.

Pretty nifty. I bet you are 5 Generations past that iteration, right? Or is the design timeless?

In the late 60s, I recall seeing this avant-garde film in Berkeley. Shot in 8mm and it was entitled "Airplane Glue, I Love You!"

All about some adult model builder that had sniffed about 45 tubes of glue too many. An adult male, with a beanie copter on his head--- was forced to

return to the 6th Grade!

Spying Tonto's camera rig made me think of this timeless classique!

I just did a Google search and the film LIVES! 1969, hahahahah!

Hi ‘burgdawg’

Mate I always double check every item before binning it…Just in case it can be used too; prop, carry or hold my GoPro…Ha ha

I’m now awaiting the new GoPro to hit Thailand, smaller, lighter, more power and comes with Wi-Fi for remote operations……Sweet.

I’ll hit the trails up here tomorrow with T_Dog…….It’s the first time I’ve been out in two weeks…I’ve been sick, (thought I had malaria at one point…..But no)

I hope T_Dog goes easy on me.

Cheers

Tonto

Burgdawg... Here's a Google Earth view of where we are headed. After the long climb to Dog Sala we are heading into unknown territory north of 4WAY. Beautiful ridge top riding and probably the only trail that hasn't gotten bone dry. Get yourself up here soon before we use up all the trails. Sounds like we might have to hit some amber colored anti-inflammatories on the way home to help nurse Tonto back to health.

post-498-0-05179600-1352102316_thumb.png

...cool routing T_Dog.

Hope Tonto is on the road to recovery..he will need liters of electrolytes to blow out his system whatever ails him....

Looking forward to the rr---ride report!

We've had a couple of recon rides in that area and I was convinced that we could find a new way off the ridge to the east directly toward Mae Taeng. Google Earth shows a road so Tonto, BBbun, and I headed past a a reservoir shown clearly on a 2006 Google Earth image. A kilometer or less down from the reservoir, which was pretty much abandoned, the trail ended in thick thorny overgrowth. From the 2006 image that area was cultivated for farming but nature has taken over at this point. We had to do a U turn and climb back to the ridge for our western exit. Darn! Fun ride though. It appears that we were only a kilometer from an established road but the two meter tall thorns were impossible. I have run into this stuff before and it is like steel cable with teeth. A bush knife does not cut it easily and only an air strike would have helped us out. Riding to and out of that hole was great, but getting into that first bit of thorns quickly softened our optimism. So that's the ride report Burgdawg!

post-498-0-22379700-1352635958_thumb.png