Riding A Ridge Line

Tonto21

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonto.... Another great video! Can't believe it was easier going up that wash we rode down as I remember it being a bit steep in places. Too bad you missed my Python Hop in the tall grass! Will have to do that with you in that direction once I get over this virus. Thanks again for showing me all the single track up here! It goes on and on.....

Tonto.... Another great video! Can't believe it was easier going up that wash we rode down as I remember it being a bit steep in places. Too bad you missed my Python Hop in the tall grass! Will have to do that with you in that direction once I get over this virus. Thanks again for showing me all the single track up here! It goes on and on.....

Burmese python wasn’t it? Ha ha. That wash, yes I thought it was going to be harder, and longer then it was, still a very steep ‘lumpy’ uphill bit to that salsa in the clearing……I was sucking leafs and debris up off the track!

There’s a lot of tracks coming off that ridge line and …………………….They all need exploring.

Get well soon mate.

..yes, vid up. mighty fine!

Great bike handling, good pucker factor.

Sweet soundtrack....finished off with some suds no less!

Hey ‘burgdawg’……….Thank for them words!

As for the suds…….I never drank till I met ‘T_Dog’ rolleyes.gif ………..He told me beer was a good anti-inflammatory……That was good enough for me!!!!!

There are more vids from Mud Monkey Productions on ‘You Tube’…….Under MudMonky1.

Cheers

Tonto21

Edited by Tonto21

..yes, I was impressed at the speeds Tonto & Crew were reaching on that single track!

Yes, if one is reaching for imaginary brakes while watching a vid, you bet it is stirring something.

I know I winced more than once.

Cool camera...GoPro or Canon D10 or another?

How did you mount, what hardware?

Yes, critters scatter. You just do not wish to encounter big game.

When you whizz by kon Tai working in the fields, do they stand up, all perplexed wondering "...what the.....?"

...just watched the MudMonky1 YouTube vids. I got it...a GoPro. I caught the shadow in some of your scenes.

Hard to film the camera set-up once attached and secured.

Loved the camera angle when you mounted GoPro rearward-facing on your seat tube.

One gets to enjoy your suspension absorbing the hits, rear tyre in sync with the camera frame rate (fps, tyre appears stationary)

and with T_Dog (I assume) coming into the frame.

Another rider gives the expansive countryside some scale. A human touch. Those who do not ride have no clue of the scenery and the

stunts we routinely pull off.

Very smart that you are riding buddy-system (1 or more riders). It is a long way back should any of us have a difficulty

out in remote terrain.

There are so many roads and cool fire lanes(farm access roads--anyone know how to say this in Tai? Soi?) to explore in the Kingdom, it boggles the mind.

No way can one cover all the single and dual-tracks, let alone paved roads in Thailand. You are lucky to have hard-packed

trails, the red dirt. Much clay. You just cannot ride this goop when it rains. Turns to slop.

Sand is the worst. You would need an off-road dirt motorcycle.

I know watching your vids, I found myself thinking "..whoa, I would not take such single tracks in Cambodia or

VietNam! No Sir!' One has enough input dealing with a varying terrain, tree branches (ouch), fatigue, etc. without

worrying about UXO--unexploded ordinance.

Sweet that you both don CamelBacks and sip while you ride. I always carry my MULE, indispensable.

Nice vids, shows others your backyard!

Very funny to swoop in from a fun ride, ending up at your bicycle garage/shop area.

Sweet.

Edited by burgdawg

...just watched the MudMonky1 YouTube vids. I got it...a GoPro. I caught the shadow in some of your scenes.

Hard to film the camera set-up once attached and secured.

Loved the camera angle when you mounted GoPro rearward-facing on your seat tube.

One gets to enjoy your suspension absorbing the hits, rear tyre in sync with the camera frame rate (fps, tyre appears stationary)

and with T_Dog (I assume) coming into the frame.

Another rider gives the expansive countryside some scale. A human touch. Those who do not ride have no clue of the scenery and the

stunts we routinely pull off.

Very smart that you are riding buddy-system (1 or more riders). It is a long way back should any of us have a difficulty

out in remote terrain.

There are so many roads and cool fire lanes(farm access roads--anyone know how to say this in Tai? Soi?) to explore in the Kingdom, it boggles the mind.

No way can one cover all the single and dual-tracks, let alone paved roads in Thailand. You are lucky to have hard-packed

trails, the red dirt. Much clay. You just cannot ride this goop when it rains. Turns to slop.

Sand is the worst. You would need an off-road dirt motorcycle.

I know watching your vids, I found myself thinking "..whoa, I would not take such single tracks in Cambodia or

VietNam! No Sir!' One has enough input dealing with a varying terrain, tree branches (ouch), fatigue, etc. without

worrying about UXO--unexploded ordinance.

Sweet that you both don CamelBacks and sip while you ride. I always carry my MULE, indispensable.

Nice vids, shows others your backyard!

Very funny to swoop in from a fun ride, ending up at your bicycle garage/shop area.

Sweet.

Yer your right, it’s a GoPro HD, I love it, only one thing, I was only saying to a friend that it can get a little fiddly out on the trail, (turning it on/off)…………But all that’s fixed now because GoPro have just come out with a Wi-Fi remote for it, (clip to the bars) However………It’s not available in Thailand yet! So I got to get around to getting my sister to get one and send it out to me.

As for the tracks here we have our share of sand, (of the ridge-lines) and that nice clay when dry is a nightmare when wet, down or up and off camber…..But I think you know that.

Wildlife well the dogs are gobby, but keep wagging their tails. The only thing up here that get my attention are the snakes, I’ve met a few cobras on the tracks, (near ran one over) ………………….At least here I don’t have to try and bunny hop land mines!! lol

I’m glad you liked the vid, I’ll post more as I make them.

Cheers

Tonto

..Tonto and mtb bikers....I was pedaling back from Rayong to Pattaya on back roads. 3am, humid night. No traffic.

I have plenty of lights fore and aft. Plus reflective tape on my downtubes, chainstays, seat tube.

I was approaching a dip in the road and caught a flash of water running. A small rivulet.

I was moving at a good clip, about 42kmph.

That is when my front tyre made initial contact with an infestation of cobras crossing the road!

No water---a stream of snakes! My lights caught their silvery underbellies and I erroneously assumed it was a water stream.

Think again.

One cobra reared up and was in the process of wrapping itself about my left ankle when I declipped and launched that snake into the night sky.

No bites.

I had no trouble with adrenalin pumping through my veins for the rest of the trip home.

I hadda chuckle when bicyclists not well-versed in Thai bicycling ways ask me "...why don't you camp?"

Egads...schlepping all that gear, for what? To save $6/night over a comfy hotel loom in any moobahn?

Edited by burgdawg

..Tonto and mtb bikers....I was pedaling back from Rayong to Pattaya on back roads. 3am, humid night. No traffic.

I have plenty of lights fore and aft. Plus reflective tape on my downtubes, chainstays, seat tube.

I was approaching a dip in the road and caught a flash of water running. A small rivulet.

I was moving at a good clip, about 42kmph.

That is when my front tyre made initial contact with an infestation of cobras crossing the road!

No water---a stream of snakes! My lights caught their silvery underbellies and I erroneously assumed it was a water stream.

Think again.

One cobra reared up and was in the process of wrapping itself about my left ankle when I declipped and launched that snake into the night sky.

No bites.

I had no trouble with adrenalin pumping through my veins for the rest of the trip home.

I hadda chuckle when bicyclists not well-versed in Thai bicycling ways ask me "...why don't you camp?"

Egads...schlepping all that gear, for what? To save $6/night over a comfy hotel loom in any moobahn?

That is the stuff of nightmares…………….. The snakes.........And the camping in Thailand!

Edited by Tonto21

You wimps! My wife and I have over 50 days sleeping in a tent over the last year. Not during the heavy rainy season though. Always did a good flashlight look before a night time wee trip, especially the day we saw a cobra jump in a small canal and swim away with head up only 60 meters from the tent.

Hey ‘villagefarang’

Where about are you riding?

You need to get out of that rice field….I see mountains in the second photo, You have to go all ‘Grizzly Adams’ and head up them there hills.

Don’t think it’s all dry where we are, we got our share of slop in the lowland……….Hard going isn’t it? Sometimes we can go out riding for an hour (non-stop) in the slop and be luck to do 15km, all good fun isn’t it.

Ha ha……. T_Dog…………(Or should we start calling you ‘Ben Gun’) Wimp is it? I used to sleep rough for a living……When I stopped getting paid for it…….I stopped doing it. Camping without getting paid for it or having a cover note from a mental health professional is wrong!

The problem with the mountains these days is different. Not the muddy bogs so much but the ruts and rocks left by the runoff during the rainy season. From my house in Phaya Mengrai, Chiang Rai I have an assortment of rides from 23 to 44 kilos which cover a good mix of flats, hills and village roads with rivers and reservoirs along the way. I ride alone so I’m probably not as hardcore as you guys, as I can’t afford mistakes. I also like to stop and take pictures along the way. It’s all good though.

Mt%2520Bike%2520%2520004.jpg

Trails%2520%2520003.jpg

Mt%2520Bike%2520%2520003.jpg

• Like 1

Looks a good place to ride, As for us being hardcore, don't Believe it, I would not say we are hard core at all, we just like to get out there and ride just like everyone else, the videos are shot mainly downhill….(I don't show me gasping for air to much going up hill)

So, Anytime you get down this way PM me, we can go for a non-hard core ride out……….Smell the flowers type trip and I can show you a bit of Mae Taeng.

Happy trails.

Edited by Tonto21
  • Like 1

...wow!

Nice pics villagefarang! Very colourful.

I saw that mud and recoiled. I've had my share of mud in my time. Lump mud riding with tent camping into the bin!

555555555555!

With this sweet thread, I am feeling vid-deficient, so hunted about and will post a link. I'm not in it and I did not film it, but it

does show Ridge Top Riding with a GoPro. Nice feedback and riding! In California. Looks to me to be near Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo area.

The guy biffs at about the 7:50 mark. I was impressed with the helmets these mtn biker were wearing. Of course, the pucker factor.

Tonto...how did you get your vids to appear smooth? I know when you bolt on a GoPro to your helmet, you get the best shock absorber there is---one's

own body. I have even seen some folks fashion their own homemade Stedi-Cam arrangement.

I have bolted my Canon D10 to the head tube of my road bike using Ram mounts. It works, but very jiggly. Gettin' jiggy with it!

Snakes? Rattlers and cobras I give wide berth. My neighbor came screaming up to my house late at night years ago.....she was catatonic, no words.

I went to investigate. She had disrobed, and was reaching up to adjust her showerhead....a 4ft RATTLER had wrapped itself around the shower head!

Coiled and ready for action. Mention that one to your sweetie the next ap nam you take......I put on some welding gloves and removed snake to safer digs.

Edited by burgdawg

Great vid and I am envious of your dry trails. It is a bit muddy around here presently.

Trail+People++013.jpg

Trail+People++014.jpg

The bottom lands here are pretty muddy too, but I think you have gotten a lot more rain up north. We get frequent sprinkles and occasional showers but no gully washers. The forest and ridge top riding is currently supreme as the traction is so good. 80% of the riding looks pretty much like the photo with short steep climbs and descents. Took a long solo ride yesterday and even found a way around a muddy road that takes the trail out to HWY 1095 by going straight down a hillside. Staying high as long as you can keeps you at least a little clean, but you still come back some days looking like you are midway through a mud spa.

post-498-0-00176000-1344131629_thumb.jpg

...wow!

Nice pics villagefarang! Very colourful.

I saw that mud and recoiled. I've had my share of mud in my time. Lump mud riding with tent camping into the bin!

555555555555!

With this sweet thread, I am feeling vid-deficient, so hunted about and will post a link. I'm not in it and I did not film it, but it

does show Ridge Top Riding with a GoPro. Nice feedback and riding! In California. Looks to me to be near Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo area.

The guy biffs at about the 7:50 mark. I was impressed with the helmets these mtn biker were wearing. Of course, the pucker factor.

Tonto...how did you get your vids to appear smooth? I know when you bolt on a GoPro to your helmet, you get the best shock absorber there is---one's

own body. I have even seen some folks fashion their own homemade Stedi-Cam arrangement.

I have bolted my Canon D10 to the head tube of my road bike using Ram mounts. It works, but very jiggly. Gettin' jiggy with it!

Snakes? Rattlers and cobras I give wide berth. My neighbor came screaming up to my house late at night years ago.....she was catatonic, no words.

I went to investigate. She had disrobed, and was reaching up to adjust her showerhead....a 4ft RATTLER had wrapped itself around the shower head!

Coiled and ready for action. Mention that one to your sweetie the next ap nam you take......I put on some welding gloves and removed snake to safer digs.

Great Vid……. pucker factor……..+10, I got cold sweats watching it! 555555. I couldn’t do that, not now anyway, (getting too old, I don’t bounce when I fall off any more) I like cross county as opposed to downhill.

You asked how did I get my vids to appear smooth? Well as you pointed out for most of the time it’s mounted on the biggest suspension unit on the bike…….top of my head, I do mount the GoPro on the bike, and it shakes a bit more, but the GoPro, I think has some sort of imige stabilizer built in.

T_Dog and I will be taking to them there hill again this afternoon, ‘camera’s rolling’ and it looks like rain……bring it on!!!!!!

Cheers

Edited by Tonto21

..one item of note. Ever notice mtn bike and dirt motorbike convergence?

They are both beginning to look very similar.

For years, off-road motorbikes lead the design innovations.

Then mtn bikes with all their cool suspension offerings.

I have no clue who is spearheading the design torch now. I view a 2-stroke KTM machine and is looks like a mtn bike

with an engine slung under it!

Just an observation.

Plus...it is impossible to have too many two-wheeled vehicles, motorized or not!

Tonto...chai, agreed, bicycle vids lend themselves to download only. Who wishes to watch

paint dry as any cyclist chugs up a steep ascent, gassed?

Maybe the Tour de France and that is it....

That's a sick video. I wonder how they got their bikes up to the top. Judging from the way they all dismounted for a 10 meter uphill patch, I doubt they pedaled-- that's the tradeoff with downhill bikes I guess. Maybe there's an access road up to that cell tower platform or wherever it was that they kicked off.

VF, those Chiangrai shots look great. In my opinion, all of northern Thailand is MTB heaven. If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd probably spend all my time exploring trails.

• Like 1

villagefarang....

wow! wow!

hey, I have no clue what you do for a living, but it is obvious you have a great eye for photographic composition.

Your pics just leapt out and grab my retinas.

If it is okay----post your blog address so we can drool over your other pics!

Seriously...I love the way your photos grab my attention to wander all over the verdant hummocks and slopes of very personal landscape.

The handlebars to give scale, a farm lane to lead one's imagination and yearnings. A rooftop set off to the left corner to frame and compose.

How did you catch that bird in flight?

My heart aches for Muang Tai.

The entire panorama makes the land appear cared for. That the land is inhabited by people who care about their rai under their feet.

Most impressive.

The green almost hurts my eyes.

Nice road conditions. I doubt if you could dial up better....keep up the fine postings!

villagefarang....

wow! wow!

hey, I have no clue what you do for a living, but it is obvious you have a great eye for photographic composition.

Your pics just leapt out and grab my retinas.

If it is okay----post your blog address so we can drool over your other pics!

Seriously...I love the way your photos grab my attention to wander all over the verdant hummocks and slopes of very personal landscape.

The handlebars to give scale, a farm lane to lead one's imagination and yearnings. A rooftop set off to the left corner to frame and compose.

How did you catch that bird in flight?

My heart aches for Muang Tai.

The entire panorama makes the land appear cared for. That the land is inhabited by people who care about their rai under their feet.

Most impressive.

The green almost hurts my eyes.

Nice road conditions. I doubt if you could dial up better....keep up the fine postings!

That is as nice and thoughtful a comment as I have received, thank you. Links to Blog and G+ photo albums can be found on my Profile Page here on TV. Simply click my picture or my name next to my post and it will take you there. Your prose are as descriptive as my photos if not more so.smile.png

I almost forgot, those are dragonflies you see in the sky. They are everywhere these days.

Edited by villagefarang

....I need to get off my duff and score some recent pics of my own. Stay tuned.....

anyone been out riding. Or THINKING about riding?

I'm sitting here still in my shorts after an epic morning in uncharted territory. Tonto21 and I climbed a ridge and then tried two different forest trails down to a paved road that ends up at Maetamon on the Mae Taeng River. No luck on those first two trails and not much in the way of photos as the trails were more like tunnels with vines overhead. Quite a fun ride until they dead-ended and we had to climb back out. Our bikes were dripping with water from all the vegetation we were busting through. We finally did find a route down that had some fantastic downhill with varied technical and go-fast sections. Tonto had his camera running so he might upload another video. It seems like we could ride a new trail here every day. We paid our dues today.
  • Like 2