Riding A Ridge Line

Tonto21

They can use the phone? Pretty smart dog!

Tonto and I had an epic ridge ride today totally dry between the heavy rain periods. Fairly technical climb on single track and then a long ridge ride through the wet forest.

Very slippery in places but we still hit it as hard as we could with an occasional ballistic race pace. I think we are close to putting together about 40 km of single track in three sections with just a bit of pavement between them. World class trails.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can use the phone? Pretty smart dog!

Tonto and I had an epic ridge ride today totally dry between the heavy rain periods. Fairly technical climb on single track and then a long ridge ride through the wet forest.

Very slippery in places but we still hit it as hard as we could with an occasional ballistic race pace. I think we are close to putting together about 40 km of single track in three sections with just a bit of pavement between them. World class trails.

Video?

Hey All

Yes I took some vid……..Not looked at it yet, I will and maybe put something together.

‘VF’….Can I clear something up……You say; “we don’t stock alcohol or pole dancers, there is a strict bring your own policy for both” Question: you do have ice for my beer and a pole for my dancer……..Right?

Oh yer, I had a big get-off 3 days ago in the rain, on the road……Going downhill, left bend coming up….Tipped in to turn and the front end just washed out, (I was a few gears short of top) road was so wet and slick I slid with bike over 12 meters….and only damage I got was where I touched down with my elbow, (small graze) and head, banging head for 10 minutes (good old helmet)……………..Sorry no vid.

Edited by Tonto21

Hey All

Yes I took some vid……..Not looked at it yet, I will and maybe put something together.

‘VF’….Can I clear something up……You say; “we don’t stock alcohol or pole dancers, there is a strict bring your own policy for both” Question: you do have ice for my beer and a pole for my dancer……..Right?

Oh yer, I had a big get-off 3 days ago in the rain, on the road……Going downhill, left bend coming up….Tipped in to turn and the front end just washed out, (I was a few gears short of top) road was so wet and slick I slid with bike over 12 meters….and only damage I got was where I touched down with my elbow, (small graze) and head, banging head for 10 minutes (good old helmet)……………..Sorry no vid.

Wow sorry to hear about the fall. Hope there are no lasting aches and pains. Sure hope you didn’t injure the camera.wink.png

My pole is reserved so she will have to use yours. That is assuming it wasn’t injured in the fall.wink.png I thought someone once told me ice in beer was a no-no.biggrin.png

(Again I am trying to be funny.)

Edited by villagefarang

Hey Lads.....

26th August

sorry I have been absent from class. Busy working long days....

Eugene O'Neil wrote a fitting tribute to Americans: "...the goal of the American worker is to work so hard, he doesn't have to work anymore."

That would be moi......

The smallest bike video...someone has TOO mutt time on their hands and feet!

VF--nice digs! Impressive. You now set the bar for "Tall Poppy Syndrome" mak mak!

WOW! I can imagine kon Tai stopping by to empty your 'fridge 24/7. I would stop drinking after that happened to me as well!

I bet you have a well-hiddened mini fridge! YES!

Can you post your GPS coordinates? We will ALL find you!

No beer or pole dancers is the official policy? You have neighbors right? They have cousins. Problem solved!

Do you and the missus go hunting for scorpions at night? They are a delicacy! How about snakes? Tastes like gai......

I actually enjoy eating bugs. Maggots and grasshoppers are my fave. No one believes such antics in USA.

They think I am humouring them.....

Tonto....your get-off or biff sounds like it was fun "...any ride that doesn't end in a trip to the hospital is a good ride."

At least you had a fine time. I recall about a year ago, I experienced a front tyre flat on my Honda Wave at about 20kmph...same deal...front end washed out.

Can you say "helpless?" Hurt like %$#@!*&. Bone bruises take a long time to heal.

I recall many years ago when mtn bikes first began appearing en masse, friends

and I would go out to do "deliberate crashes" all day long. Endos, everything we could dream up.

We had on knee and elbow pads and helmets. You really learn of a bicycle's limit reoh-reoh.

T_Dog; Desert riding....getting better as the summer heat subsides.

Where I live (Santa Fe/Los Alamos, northern NM) had horrific firestorms 1 year ago, roasting about 2500miles of our fine 5k mile network of mountainous single track.

Impressive plumes of smoke to 47k foot altitude, visible from space quite easily. The firestorm was so hot, it melted pools of rock into glassine puddles.

36-48" diameter fir trees exploded like shrapnel.

We are still banned from making forays, but I have hiked the area.....very sad. It got nuked. Might grow back in 100 years. Less than 10" of rain per year.

Talcum powder dry.

The Los Conchas fire did put a damper on things. Road riding is okay, yet dangerous as everyone is in love with their so-called smart phones.

People are beyond addicted to them.....

Very dry air here, about 2-3% relative humidity. Yes, I miss Maung Tai.....there is an immediacy to living in the Kingdom that is lacking in the West,

amongst other obvious amenities too obvious to mention.

Many steps to traverse prior to wheel's up!

best!

Edited by burgdawg

VF--nice digs! Impressive. You now set the bar for "Tall Poppy Syndrome" mak mak!

WOW! I can imagine kon Tai stopping by to empty your 'fridge 24/7. I would stop drinking after that happened to me as well!

I bet you have a well-hiddened mini fridge! YES!

Can you post your GPS coordinates? We will ALL find you!

We get friends who come up from Bangkok to take a break from city life. People who live closer to Chiang Rai town are reluctant to drive all the way out to our place. They are used to things being close.

Most of the villagers are afraid of our dogs and feel constrained by the ambience of our house. They prefer someplace where they don’t have to worry about breaking something or making a mess. They also know we don’t drink so it is no fun to visit. They tend to walk around like they are in a temple when they do come have a look.

No hidden mini fridge and the location is on my map because I know I am too far out of the way for most people to drop by.

Burgdawg, we're always riding here in Mae Taeng! Tonto and I were going to do a "double-humper" yesterday linking up two of our trails and crossing two ridges. I wasn't feeling well for some reason so we did one and headed for a coffee. Headache was gone by the time I made it home dognabit!

We have had five days of blue skies now and the trails are getting pretty dry as the sun has been very hot. The farmers think the "last October rain" is coming early this year. Good thing as all the sand and mud on the rides has me needing a new chain a month before expected. Hopefully you can get up here and ride some of these world class trails some day.

T_Dog and VF...nice to see you guys keeping the flame alive!

Thanks for the invite to ride up in the Northlands...one day, one day....

I have road slicks on my Gary Fischer, so I would just buy a diff set of wheels with knobbies for better stability.

VF..nice pic as we're growing used to. Your photographs look as though they were snapped usng Ektachrome film, remember that?

Vivid blues and hues of green?

Burgdawg.... Took the 12 year old step son up to "Heartbreak Ridge" today and he did great. He only had to get off the bike once, and when he got home, he went out for another ride with a friend when I took a nap. Boy it would be nice to be young again. He did consume massive amounts of food on the ride however, so I guess I am redeemed. We saw a couple forest grouse today which was quite cool. No one in the woods after the huge storm we had last night.

And VF does indeed take beautiful photographs, and I'll bet a broken spoke that he uses a polarizer for a lot of those shots.

Burgdawg.... Took the 12 year old step son up to "Heartbreak Ridge" today and he did great. He only had to get off the bike once, and when he got home, he went out for another ride with a friend when I took a nap. Boy it would be nice to be young again. He did consume massive amounts of food on the ride however, so I guess I am redeemed. We saw a couple forest grouse today which was quite cool. No one in the woods after the huge storm we had last night.

And VF does indeed take beautiful photographs, and I'll bet a broken spoke that he uses a polarizer for a lot of those shots.

My little point and shoot (Canon S-90) doesn’t accommodate filters but I do shoot in RAW and then run my shots through Aperture which helps to bring out the best in an otherwise ordinary picture.wink.png

...anyone been out for some rides?

I've been working too many hours that begin at 7am and continue past midnight.

The work is good, the workload is not. Recalling past bicycle jaunts in the Kingdom keep me semi-sane.

Just out of the shower after the muddiest ride of the season. A week of rain but when we left it was clear so Tonto and I hit a favorite ridge climb. Downhill

was slick slick slick. Only got rained on after lunch and some amber colored anti-inflammatory! Had some good rides lately including a mongoose (the critter, not the bike) scampering out of our way. Sorry to hear you are working too hard.

• Like 1

Yer nice photo VF.

You can see it's starting to dry......Still slippery but getting heavy going........

I shot some vid today, new cam angle..........It's a little, "look at me"...Ha ha, but I think a great angle and will look good snipping into other footage in the vids to come.

I don't know where to post......On here or in new topic....Should post it tomorrow.

Later Guys

Tonto

• Like 1

post it HERE Tonto!

that way the rest of us do not have to go looking for it...

you started this thread, you get to stretch it wherever!

yes, some new vids!

OK 'burgdawg' here it is.

Did a ride-out yesterday and tried out a new camera angle, well, for me anyway.

I had some funny looks of the locals………A near 1 meter ‘mop handle’ sticking out the front of me bike.

Hope you like watching it as much as I did making it.................................smile.png

Cheers

Tonto

• Like 1

Hey, that worked out well! Who would think a mop handle would be stable enough? Another excellent video.

Yer......But Aoi not to happy, had do do some make-a-mends when I got home so she could do the floors....ha ha...........Video to follow....

I like that much more and it really works well when you shift views. More variety and a better feel for the total experience in my opinion. I would guess other angles would be problematic with the camera hitting bushes or the extension being too long for the stabilizer to handle the additional movement. Anyway great work and hope you can continue to come up with even more innovative ideas.clap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

post it HERE Tonto!

yes, some new vids!

I had some funny looks of the locals………A near 1 meter ‘mop handle’ sticking out the front of me bike.

Hope you like watching it as much as I did making it.................................smile.png

Cheers

Tonto

Great VDO Tonto!

nextime, try to put your mop handle (with the camera at the end of it of course) in your back pack; it will give you a kind of bird eye view with your helmet as front plan, then your forearms on your handlebar then the front wheel of your bike and part of the trail; I've seen some footage on YouTube and the result are looking quite good. Have fun.

post it HERE Tonto!

yes, some new vids!

Cheers

Tonto

Great VDO Tonto!

nextime, try to put your mop handle (with the camera at the end of it of course) in your back pack; it will give you a kind of bird eye view with your helmet as front plan, then your forearms on your handlebar then the front wheel of your bike and part of the trail; I've seen some footage on YouTube and the result are looking quite good. Have fun.

Hi 'ad61'...

Yes...good idea, I will give that a go and post a clip if any good.

Cheers

Tonto