Australia Duty Free Changes

UbonOz

I read yesterday that effective 1 September that cigarettes and tobacco have been reduced to basically nothing when arriving in Oz.

It used to be 250 cigarettes/250g tobacco, it is now 25 cigarettes/25g tobacco.

Duty free shops in Oz say they will no longer keep stock.

Another way for the government to get more tax dollars.

• Like 1

It is 50

Has that come in already?

I thought they were making it 50?

I dont smoke but I always have requests from smokers to bring back what I can.

It is 50 and it is due to start on 1st September.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4352.asp

From 1 September 2012, the traveller tobacco concession reduces. If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased.

I expect there might be a bit of leniency for the first few months?

A friend of a friend used to bring in double the allowed amount. He said if they catch you , you have to pay the extra duty on the extra amount you are over. So he figured that it would cost him the same he would pay in OZ...if they asked him. He hasn't been asked for 3 times, nor I would imagine , has he declared them.

Personally I find it a bit dodgy and I just wouldn't want the hassle.

A friend of a friend used to bring in double the allowed amount. He said if they catch you , you have to pay the extra duty on the extra amount you are over. So he figured that it would cost him the same he would pay in OZ...if they asked him. He hasn't been asked for 3 times, nor I would imagine , has he declared them.

I always take more than the allowance to the UK as there is rarely anybody to check, Australia appears much stricter.

Every time I enter Oz every passengers bags are xrayed, and the dogs are always sniffing around.

Not worth the hassle in Oz, just do the right thing.

Edited by UbonOz
  • Like 1

You have always been able to take twice the duty free tobacco allowance in without penalty as long as you declared them. The allowance was the undeclared amount.

This new allowance is alleged to make 250 to 500 mil in taxes, but I thought many of these agreements were international conventions, are we going it alone now. Jim

You have always been able to take twice the duty free tobacco allowance in without penalty as long as you declared them. The allowance was the undeclared amount.

This new allowance is alleged to make 250 to 500 mil in taxes, but I thought many of these agreements were international conventions, are we going it alone now. Jim

That is incorrect.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/GuideforTravellersJune2012-WEB.pdf

Be aware that if you exceed Australia’s duty-free

concession limits you will be charged duty and tax on all

items of that type (general goods, alcohol or tobacco), not

just the items which exceed the limits.

Edited by ripstanley

I always take more than the allowance to the UK as there is rarely anybody to check, Australia appears much stricter.

Every time I enter Oz every passengers bags are xrayed, and the dogs are always sniffing around.

Not worth the hassle in Oz, just do the right thing.

http://www.customs.g...te/page4352.asp

From 1 September 2012, the traveller tobacco concession reduces. If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased.

<snip>

Be aware that if you exceed Australia's duty free concession limits you may be charged duty and tax on all items of that type (general goods, alcohol or tobacco), not just the items which exceed the limits

ripstanley beat me to it.

Edited by Daewoo

That is incorrect.

http://www.customs.g...une2012-WEB.pdf

From the Customs web site not the guide.

Customs will not collect combined duty and taxes of less than $A50 provided that excess goods are declared.

Jim

That is incorrect.

http://www.customs.g...une2012-WEB.pdf

From the Customs web site not the guide.

Customs will not collect combined duty and taxes of less than $A50 provided that excess goods are declared.

Jim

I would think there is more than $50.00 of duty and tax on 250 cigarettes.

Customs value (Cval)

Customs duty (Duty)@ $0.34889 per stick

Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI)

(Cval+Duty)

Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10% of the VoTI

Total payable Duty + GST

Customs duty of $0.34889/stick is the rate applicable as of 1/8/2012*

(Customs duty rates are subject to change. Please check the current published rates)

(Other import processing charges may apply)

You can work it out and so does the Customs Officer, plus he has to fill in all the forms etc, Not worth their time for a few dollars. Have been doing it for years, just too much bother for them on small amounts. Easier to fine someone for not declaring in the first place.

Don't know how the new rules will be enforce. Jim

Customs value (Cval)

(Cval+Duty)

Total payable Duty + GST

(Customs duty rates are subject to change. Please check the current published rates)

You can work it out and so does the Customs Officer, plus he has to fill in all the forms etc, Not worth their time for a few dollars. Have been doing it for years, just too much bother for them on small amounts. Easier to fine someone for not declaring in the first place.

When you arrive with 2 cartons and they are decalared you pay duty and GST on both cartons Well over $100.00 They will collect. I can assure you they do.

Customs value (Cval)

(Cval+Duty)

Total payable Duty + GST

When you arrive with 2 cartons and they are decalared you pay duty and GST on both cartons Well over $100.00 They will collect. I can assure you they do.

Why would you pay duty on 2 cartons when you are allowed one duty free. You only need to pay duty on excess of your allowance, one carton. Last year the duty free shops at Melbourne even had signs saying come buy another bottle and declare. End of debate. Jim

Read post #12

just the items which exceed the limits

Read the word Guide at the top, then read the Customs regs on declared and undeclared. That's it for me.Jim

Read post #12

just the items which exceed the limits

Read the word Guide at the top, then read the Customs regs on declared and undeclared. That's it for me.Jim

Below is a quote from Customs By-Law when it was gazetted.

However, if the amount or value of the goods exceeds these new concessions, duty will be payable on the entire amount or value of the goods within that group of items. This is different from the previous by-laws where duty was only payable on the amount or value in excess of the concession. For example, if a passenger imports 3,000 ml of alcoholic beverages, 300 grams of tobacco products and $850 of other goods, he or she will have to pay duty in relation to the 3,000 ml of alcoholic beverages and 300 grams of tobacco. This is different from the previous by-laws where duty was only payable on the amount or value in excess of the concession.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L00136/Explanatory%20Statement/Text

NZ has the same procedure, not collecting taxes under NZD50. However that exemption excludes tobacco products.

Also, though they don't collect amounts under NZD50, go over that & they'll collect the lot.

On top of that, the above applies only to declared goods. Fail to declare and they can impose penalties as well. Then it gets expensive.

On a brighter note, in real life they aren't very interested in someone slightly over the limits. It's narcotics & bananas they're after.

in some countries cigs are a no no.but the governments make alot of tax on cigs.australia is one of them.alittle lear way for the travellers and australians would be nice ,if they do smoke.but no they do not,they just take take take of the smokers that is wrong

If you are going to make comments like these you would want to post a link to your source. I don't think this statement is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to make comments like these you would want to post a link to your source. I don't think this statement is correct.

You could only take 250 cigarettes into Australia Duty Free, if you took more into the country and declared them, you had to pay the Duty on them, hence they would not be Duty Free and more expensive.

If you were caught taking more than 250 into the country and had not declared them. They would have been confiscated and you would have been given a warning or a fine or a short stint in Prison or both of the latter. You would also have had your name marked down for all future arrivals and departures.

You could only take 250 cigarettes into Australia Duty Free, if you took more into the country and declared them, you had to pay the Duty on them, hence they would not be Duty Free and more expensive.

If you were caught taking more than 250 into the country and had not declared them. They would have been confiscated and you would have been given a warning or a fine or a short stint in Prison or both of the latter. You would also have had your name marked down for all future arrivals and departures.

If you declared the cigarettes you pay duty on all the cigarettes in your possession.

If they are undeclared then you would be issued and infringement notice which would be double the duty and up to 100% GST evaded. You would have 21 days to pay. If this is not paid a seizure notice would be issued for the cigarettes after this period. No further action. You have to evade $5000.00 duty before a prosecution would be instigated. Check the Customs Act on the web

If you declared the cigarettes you pay duty on all the cigarettes in your possession.

If they are undeclared then you would be issued and infringement notice which would be double the duty and up to 100% GST evaded. You would have 21 days to pay. If this is not paid a seizure notice would be issued for the cigarettes after this period. No further action. You have to evade $5000.00 duty before a prosecution would be instigated. Check the Customs Act on the web

Had a look through the Australian Customs Web. Cant find what you are talking about.

However there are penalties for failing to declare excess goods, including cigarettes.

Duty Free Concessions

If you have anything in excess of your duty-free concession, declare the goods and provide proof of purchase to Customs and Border Protection for calculation of any duty and tax to be paid.

Failure to declare goods in excess of your concession could result in the application of penalties

If in doubt, contact a Customs and Border Protection officer or call 1300 363 263 (Australia only) for information. If overseas, call +61 2 6275 6666 or email [email protected]

http://www.customs.g...te/page4352.asp

If you are coming into Thailand the Penalties are even harsher.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g293915-c133772/Thailand:Customs.And.Duty.Free.Allowances.html

Edited by OZEMADE

• 1 month later...

Australian customs just there to make money. My wife who is Thai brought into the country with a dried herb which weighed 10 grams . We had to pay 220 dollars !!! no warning no nothing just pay up... Told us it was food . Which it is , 220 dollars for this , and just next to us a tourist from another country had food as was told it was ok as long as they put it in a rubbish bin before they went out .

Australian customs just there to make money. My wife who is Thai brought into the country with a dried herb which weighed 10 grams . We had to pay 220 dollars !!! no warning no nothing just pay up... Told us it was food . Which it is , 220 dollars for this , and just next to us a tourist from another country had food as was told it was ok as long as they put it in a rubbish bin before they went out .

Obviously on the Customs Declaration Form, where it says are you bringing in to the country any food items, your wife ticked NO. Hence the false declaration and the $220 fine.

The tourist from the other country had declared, (ticked YES) they were bringing food into the country and were not fined. Because they did declare the food items, there is no fine and they would only have to get rid of the food items in the disposal bins provided by Customs as you explained.

Your wife in the wrong, false declaration.

Edited by OZEMADE