District Chiefs Told Not To Think Too Much

george

District chiefs told not to think too much

BANGKOK: -- It will be a long time before Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s specially-trained poverty-busting district chiefs graduate from their apprenticeships.

Thaksin said yesterday that evaluation of his charges would begin in about three years.

He reiterated that At Samat district and the current anti-poverty drive he is heading there will be used as a model to combat poverty nationwide. Meanwhile, officers hand-picked by him are learning how villagers can best be helped.

Testing his first student yesterday morning – At Samat district chief Somkiat Ratanamethathorn – Thaksin offered rapid-fire advice. The prime minister has been advising Somkiat for the past two days, while he has been speaking to villagers about their problems.

Yesterday at about 8.30am, Somkiat sat down with a villager and listened to his problems. At about 10am Thaksin arrived and asked Somkiat to tell him what he had learned.

The subject was a retired government official known as Buddha. He owes a local loan shark Bt210,000 and his health is failing. He asked for a loan to pay off the debt, some cattle, and ducks to produce eggs. Buddha had been to see the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, but his request for a loan had been turned down on the grounds that he didn’t have enough assets and his ability to repay the loan was doubtful.

Thaksin stepped in, saying Somkiat’s solution of a loan would solve the problem with the loan shark, but wouldn’t help further than that.

Buddha doesn’t have a big enough income, so Thaksin told Somkiat to turn to a special-purpose vehicle company that was in charge of the government’s One-Million-Cattle Project, to arrange for Buddha to get some cattle. The prime minister said the BAAC should have considered Buddha’s case more closely and granted him a loan so he could make some money, because he’s still strong and capable.

The bank should think of people’s ability to pay the money back in the future, not just the assets they have behind them at the moment, Thaksin said, adding that Buddha deserves some land to raise his ducks and he should be on the list to receive available land.

“District chief, take that down in your notebook as the prescription,” Thaksin concluded, prompting a smile from Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan.

Thaksin took over from there and the district chief was left trying to second-guess the prime minister’s orders for the next case.

Thavorn is young and has three children. Thaksin quickly vowed to find land for him and to slot him into a government training programme known as the “Fix-it Centre”.

“Give him an allowance, let him be an assistant to the centre’s chief. Let him help clean the tools early on,” said Thaksin. “This man will survive as he’s ready to take on independent jobs.”

Turning to Somkiat, he asked: “District chief, how will you order?” Then he advised: “Don’t speak too formally.”

Before the next villager came before him, Thaksin told Somkiat not to worry too much about government regulations. “This is a merit-making programme, about helping our country-mates. Don’t think too much,” he said.

The district chief then told Thaksin his next visitor, a woman, wanted the bank to reduce her interest burden and grant her a loan extension. She also asked for cattle. She earns Bt70,000 annually and owes the BAAC Bt400,000.

Thaksin listened patiently and commented that the woman wasn’t really poor, she simply had cash-flow problems from time to time. He suggested she see a BAAC analyst to help. He also said she would be included on a national list to receive cattle.

Problem solved. “Next!…”

--The Nation 2006-01-19

Before the next villager came before him, Thaksin told Somkiat not to worry too much about government regulations. “This is a merit-making programme, about helping our country-mates. Don’t think too much,” he said.

As Trink would have said, any comment would be superfluous.

Thaksin listened patiently and commented that the woman wasn’t really poor, she simply had cash-flow problems from time to time.

That's one way to eradicate poverty in three years or whatever the proclaimed time-frame is. Simply declare all of the poor as merely having cash-flow problems and voila! They are no longer poor. :o

It is quite obvious that the government is aware of the VERY high interest rates charged by the sharks. It would appear that one simple way to help the ignorant farm people would to be to limit the unconscionable interest rate these unscrupulous money lenders charge. Rates of three percent per month are normal. Perhaps two percent per month if the loan is secured with land. If no payments are made even the two percent loan will nearly double in three years. Why are there no usory laws here?

BAAC "should" "will do" or "are doing".

"Teacher, I don't understand American movies."

"Don't worry, they should talk slower and use less slang."

Take that one down Somchai!

"Don't think too much" (You won't ever have to act on what I'm saying here today)

Sounds like the BAAC needs some advice and training from the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh

Is he really doing himself any favours atm?

Before the next villager came before him, Thaksin told Somkiat not to worry too much about government regulations. ................ Don’t think too much,” he said.

And he still wonders why we have corruption??????????????

Give me a break. :o

It is quite obvious that the government is aware of the VERY high interest rates charged by the sharks. ................... Why are there no usuary laws here?

The loan sharks are chinese origin,

so is the government.

Need I say more?????

Edited by astral

Astral you should probably say less!

Nothing like a generalization to spur prejudice.

I was speaking from personal observation a few years ago,

when I was helping a Thai to find a piece of land to buy..........

Astral you should probably say less!

Nothing like a generalization to spur prejudice.

I was speaking from personal observation a few years ago,

when I was helping a Thai to find a piece of land to buy..........

You personally observed the entire Chinese race? Because if it was just a few select individuals, I'll have to agree with the previous poster, you should probably keep quiet.