Which Country Is Better: Thailand Or Malaysia

AmusingBellyDancers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been ever increasing amounts of kidnapping in KL recently, most notably in the northern suburbs and expat areas especially targetting oil workers. Both places are nasty; KL slightly better in some ways but neither great. I chose BK, wish I had chose KL but will be returning to HK or China soon as they are both heaps and bounds better than both KL or BK.

There's been ever increasing amounts of kidnapping in KL recently, most notably in the northern suburbs and expat areas especially targetting oil workers. Both places are nasty; KL slightly better in some ways but neither great. I chose BK, wish I had chose KL but will be returning to HK or China soon as they are both heaps and bounds better than both KL or BK.

Thanks very much for that. I'd never heard about kidnappings in KL before. I'll Google it and try to learn more.

What I hate about Thailand is that the mediocrity never stops. I won't give political details because I'm sure you know what I mean.

Is your wife Muslim? My wife is a Yala Muslim. Yala is in the far south, but the incidents there are not as bad as all the horrible news that's been coming out of Pattani. We both want to go somewhere safer and better for our children.

I agree that HK is better. And Singapore too. But my wife and I don't have too much money for expensive houses or apartments.

make categories for what people are looking:

Sex availability:

Alcohol availability:

Food (local quality):

Food (western availability):

Beaches:

Housing/Accomodation:

Getting around (driving/vehicles/roads):

Sightseeing:

Population (friendly/hostile):

Cost of Living:

Nightlife:

Weather:

Visa requirements:

Safety (Beaches/Attacks):

Child friendly:

Crime rates:

Tourist rip-offs:

Shopping (Western/Fake/Lux):

General Western standards density (Newspapers/TV in Bars/Clothes):

Edited by ddpffft

I believe Thailand is among all other (non european) countries worldwide the winner in these categories:

Sex availability:

Alcohol availability:

Beaches:

I believe Thailand is among all other (non european) countries worldwide the winner in these categories:

Sex availability:

Alcohol availability:

Beaches:

Maybe you need to get out more.

SC

....or back home.

make categories for what people are looking:

Sex availability:

Alcohol availability:

Food (local quality):

Beaches:

Housing/Accomodation:

Sightseeing:

Cost of Living:

Nightlife:

Weather:

Visa requirements:

Child friendly:

Crime rates:

Tourist rip-offs:

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to reply. I will comment on your observations one by one.

Sex availability:

My wife and I are happily married. I am monogamous.

Alcohol availability:

My wife and I are Muslims. We don't consume alcohol.

Food (local quality):

Muslim food (spicy but sweet) is my favourite. It's available in Thailand and Malaysia.

My wife, children and I don't eat western food.

Beaches:

The beaches in Yala and Narathiwat are beautiful. But they are not safe. I know the beaches are safer in Malaysia.

Housing/Accomodation:

This is what we are checking.

We think Thailand and Malaysia are similar in this respect.

Sightseeing:

My wife and I both love Malaysia. We believe the country has more to offer than Thailand, especially for our children.

Malaysians are friendly. But there are less of the fake smiles that you see in Thailand.

Cost of Living:

Very true. My wife and I do not much money. Malayisa is more expensive than Thailand

Nightlife:

We drink tea at coffee shops. We seldom go out after dark, except to pray.

Weather:

The same.

Visa requirements:

Very good point. I need to research this.

Another good point. Our Muslim friends in Malaysia tell us that safety standards are higher in Malaysia.

Child friendly:

We feel both countries are the same.

Crime rates:

Malaysia is safer. We have checked this.

Tourist rip-offs:

Thailand is terrible. I won't give details.

KL is great.

My family and I have no need for bars or western food outlets. But I do wish to read English newspapers and magazines. If such publications are not available, I will happily read online.

If you are Muslim, on a budget, why not Indonesia? In many ways for your criteria it beats both places hands down. Depends how you earn a crust really. In Malaysia, staying out of KL would be a winner; try JB in the south with Sing on your doorstep. Crime rate higher than most places in Malaysia, but still no where near as bad as Thailand.

For public transport, Thailand beats Malaysia. This is like asking which is better at Rugby, USA of Canada - close, but both are basically rubbish and not up to the job. Malaysian Taxis are a bloody nightmare and I always now just hire a car and driver on arrival for duration if only because I can't stand Protons.

The comment earlier about Boomie (Bumi, or Bhumi) is referring to the protectionist laws in Malaysia giving rights to Malay Malaysians above and beyond other races in Malaysia. It is abhorrent in many aspects and really does stop Malaysia really pushing forward. It's not about being a Muslim in Malaysia, it is about being a member of the Malay race. However, the Thai's version of it is based upon protectionist laws in favour of the Rich families which is just as abhorrent.

What do you think?

Malaysia is good: you've got the Cameron Highlands (can I show the photo here?), everywhere is safer and more tolerant, there's less (or no) violence, the food is good, and the country is much cleaner than Thailand. Also, Malaysia is closer to Singapore.

Quite true.

But very much up to your personal preferences. I never liked KL, and I find it inferior to BKK.

But in general, Malaysia is high on my list of potential countries after Thailand:

1. Better visa: MM2H is a proper visa with proper legal rights. Not the joke we have in TH "extension of stay".

2. Even no visa is better. 3 months stamp at border for many countries and visa runs possible.

3. Cheaper. You may be surprised because Malaysia used to be more expensive. But no longer so with the recent price raises in Thailand. And even if you pay more, you get more quality.

4. IQ: average IQ much better than in Thailand. That includes women too.

5. Girls: not a bar scene as in Thailand, but every man who knows to pickup can easily do so in Malaysia as well.

6. Service: more friendly people, service is not limited to "can we make a Baht out of you".

7. Infrastructure: much better. Internet works normally.

8. Public transport: yes, better in Thailand. But with MM2H you can import your own car tax free.

9. Corruption: exists too. But not on the horrid level as in Thailand.

10. Weather: hot/humid and I believe KL is even hotter than BKK.

11. Beaches: much better than in TH and not so run down. Less Western low class people.

12. Pork: everywhere in TH, rare in Malaysia. Which doesn't bother me so much.

If you are Muslim, on a budget, why not Indonesia?

Thank you. But we would prefer to live somewhere that has easy access to Yala. My wife's family is from Yala.

For public transport, Thailand beats Malaysia. This is like asking which is better at Rugby, USA of Canada - close, but both are basically rubbish and not up to the job. Malaysian Taxis are a bloody nightmare and I always now just hire a car and driver on arrival for duration if only because I can't stand Protons.

I don't have enough experience to comment. I will accept your opinions for the time being. Public transport in Yala is bad, so you must have your own motorcycle to travel around. My family and I have never taken a public taxi in Malaysia.

The comment earlier about Boomie (Bumi, or Bhumi) is referring to the protectionist laws in Malaysia giving rights to Malay Malaysians above and beyond other races in Malaysia. It is abhorrent in many aspects and really does stop Malaysia really pushing forward. It's not about being a Muslim in Malaysia, it is about being a member of the Malay race. However, the Thai's version of it is based upon protectionist laws in favour of the Rich families which is just as abhorrent.

Thank you. I understand now. I know there are several (sometimes quite small) ethic groups in Malaysia which the country takes pride in preserving, but I also know that these ethnic groups don't have the same status as Malay Malaysians.

But I don't think this will affect my family and I (if we move there) because we will be expats.

12. Pork: everywhere in TH, rare in Malaysia. Which doesn't bother me so much.

Ha Ha. My family can't eat pork.

Later when I have more time, I will reply to your complete message. Thank you.

Can I post a video? It's very special to me. You can delete it if you want.

The video is by Cat Stevens. Or you can call him Yusuf Islam. He converted when he was 29. I converted when I was 37.

• Like 1

I don't think you can compare countries as easily as that.

Every individual has different aspirations (at least in a free country).

I can understand that as a muslim family you believe a predominantly muslim country would be better to live in and practice your religion than a buddhist country.

However having said that you should consider the possibilities of finding a job, the risk of not being considered a valid member of the community you wish to adopt and above all be accepted as a fellow muslim and not a Thai immigrant.

Just my 2 cents.

Yermanee wai.gif

I like the the food better in Malaysia, because of of cheap, easily available Malyasian, Chinese and Indian cuisine, but for my needs, most other things are better in Thailand.

I agree 100% on the Indian samosa in Penang. licklips.gif

If Malaysia would be more gay friendly I would love to stay there special KL

Many things cheaper then Bangkok special housing chose from food also better and cheaper but for people like me "gay" a bit scary

But some short holidays at Malaysia always fun also for shopping clothes

jomtienfun

Thank you. I understand now. I know there are several (sometimes quite small) ethic groups in Malaysia which the country takes pride in preserving, but I also know that these ethnic groups don't have the same status as Malay Malaysians.

But I don't think this will affect my family and I (if we move there) because we will be expats.

The whole point is that yes it does affect you if you are not Malay. Massively.

No, your perception of the massive disadvantages being foreigner living in Malaysia is very shallow, the ethnic malay muslims regard islam as of higher importance than race, and the Yala muslim wife can easily blend in with the muslim community easily without a change in lifestyle. There are many thai people in Malaysia, religion aside, some are born in Malaysia, some domiciled by marriage, majority migrated from southern Thailand and are muslims.

99.99% of street tomyam restaurants are owned and operated by southern thai muslims

No, your perception of the massive disadvantages being foreigner living in Malaysia is very shallow, the ethnic malay muslims regard islam as of higher importance than race, and the Yala muslim wife can easily blend in with the muslim community easily without a change in lifestyle. There are many thai people in Malaysia, religion aside, some are born in Malaysia, some domiciled by marriage, majority migrated from southern Thailand and are muslims.

99.99% of street tomyam restaurants are owned and operated by southern thai muslims

Why dont you ask the Malay Chinese or Indians how they are discriminated against in their own country.

You dont mention how non Muslims are discriminated against.

• Like 1

how do you know that non-malay non-muslims are discriminated against? Q&A or hearsay , CNN or BBC

btw, the topic is about a the OP who is a muslim contemplating to move, not about what you intend to ask

True, i saw a lot of chinese guys on ferraris and mercs in George town and KL. I wish i be descriminated this way.

how do you know that non-malay non-muslims are discriminated against? Q&A or hearsay , CNN or BBC

btw, the topic is about a the OP who is a muslim contemplating to move, not about what you intend to ask

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumiputera_%28Malaysia%29

http://www.minorityrights.org/?lid=10815

http://malaysiansmustknowthetruth.blogspot.com/2012/01/racial-discrimination-in-malaysia-dont.html

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/anwar-agrees-to-discrimination-against-gays-to-protect-sanctity-of-marriage/

http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120125114920AAkrpX7

Also sat next to a Chinese Malay, always remember his name, Jimmy Stewart.

The flight was from KL to Australia, his daughter was already in Australia, and he and the rest of his family were looking at relocating.

He was less than complimentary of the country and its practices.

Best of luck to the old guy, hope he made it.