Cinema'S Like Fridges...Why

rocky123

The cinemas in Thailand are to cold, end of discussion wink.png I have been to many cinemas and I always think after looking at some movie, why didn't I bring some extra clothes tongue.png

What do you mean by "end of discussion"? I've been to plenty of movies where I'm comfortable wearing a tank top and shorts. At the very most a t-shirt and shorts will do. Where were you born - in the tropics?

Well that's my opinion and many agree with me..And no, I`m not born in the tropics, I'm born quite north in Europe where we have cold and long winters...

Edited by Namplik

The cinemas in Thailand are to cold, end of discussion wink.png I have been to many cinemas and I always think after looking at some movie, why didn't I bring some extra clothes tongue.png

What do you mean by "end of discussion"? I've been to plenty of movies where I'm comfortable wearing a tank top and shorts. At the very most a t-shirt and shorts will do. Where were you born - in the tropics?

Well that's my opinion and many agree with me..And no, I`m not born in the tropics, I'm born quite north in Europe where we have cold and long winters...

... so really it's almost comical - a person from northern Europe complaining about interior temperatures in the mid to low 20's. That's a nice summer's day in northern Europe. 21C is considered the optimum healthy indoor temperature. Just out of curiosity I'm going to bring my digital thermometer to the cinema next time to find out the true temperatures there.

The cinemas are freezing and extremely uncomfortable and I think the temperature is set at something more like 15c or even lower.

When i go to cinema which is rarely i use the first class one in Central where you get the blanket. Problem solved.

The cinemas are freezing and extremely uncomfortable and I think the temperature is set at something more like 15c or even lower.

When i go to cinema which is rarely i use the first class one in Central where you get the blanket. Problem solved.

I've heard enough of this nonsense. I'll start posting actual temperatures and humidity readings when I go in future. Just guessing for now, it's no lower than 22C in the very coldest cinemas and over 25C in the warmer ones.

I've heard enough of this nonsense. I'll start posting actual temperatures and humidity readings when I go in future. Just guessing for now, it's no lower than 22C in the very coldest cinemas and over 25C in the warmer ones.

Well as part of your research go to The Avenue first as they have the coldest cinemas in Pattaya. I just dont believe they could have the temperatures set at anything higher than 15c there.

They are a bit warmer in Central but it does vary from cinema to cinema.

Well as part of your research go to The Avenue first as they have the coldest cinemas in Pattaya. I just dont believe they could have the temperatures set at anything higher than 15c there.

They are a bit warmer in Central but it does vary from cinema to cinema.

The OP was specifically referring to The Avenue theatres. I don't watch movies at Central. I've never had to wear more than a T-shirt and shorts in there... I shall be bringing my digital thermometer to the movies.

The one time I got really cold in a cinema was in Central when it first opened. From what you're saying they've got that under control now.

You want to take a bet the temperatures are averaging around 25C? If the temperatures are below 20C I'll buy you 10 movie tickets. The only reason people think 25C feels too cold is that they are sitting motionless for around 2 hours. The humidity levels are quite low - probably below 50%.

Edited by tropo

I was at The Avenue today. It's above 20 but certainly not by much. I wore a long shirt.

You sound like my wife. She complains when the temps gets down to 26C (that's my night time bedroom temp) and wears a jumper and socks in the cinema. For comparative purposes, Family Marts are normally kept at 22C (they have a thermometer on the wall).

Edited by tropo

I was at The Avenue today. It's above 20 but certainly not by much. I wore a long shirt.

You sound like my wife. She complains when the temps gets down to 26C (that's my night time bedroom temp) and wears a jumper and socks in the cinema. For comparative purposes, Family Marts are normally kept at 22C (they have a thermometer on the wall).

Is that how you spend your days, going about Pattaya checking temps everywhere? how sad.

Most people find the temperatures in the cinemas here uncomfortably cold regardless of what the official temperature readings are.

The usher at the Avenue told me it is very cold in the theatre so they know it is cold yet they dont adjust the temperature settings.

Is that how you spend your days, going about Pattaya checking temps everywhere? how sad.

No, wake up and stop being silly.. I said I will bring my digital thermometer to the cinema next time I go.... which does not imply I take my thermometer everywhere, in fact they normally stay at home.

Now if you must have a dig, better you keep up.

Most people find the temperatures in the cinemas here uncomfortably cold regardless of what the official temperature readings are.

The usher at the Avenue told me it is very cold in the theatre so they know it is cold yet they dont adjust the temperature settings.

I hardly think what a Thai usher who is born in a tropical climate thinks of air conditioned temperatures is relevant. Only the people who find it cold are complaining here.

No, wake up and stop being silly.. I said I will bring my digital thermometer to the cinema next time I go.... which does not imply I take my thermometer everywhere, in fact they normally stay at home.

Now if you must have a dig, better you keep up.

"they" - you have more than one - wow, do they have names?

How many thermometers do you have?

Unfortunately i do not have any, i may however get one to carry about with me to check temps everywhere as you do, sounds like tremendous fun.

Where can you get them?

Unfortunately i do not have any, i may however get one

Where can you get them?

I would suggest you put one in each room where you have an air conditioner. It allows you to check on the efficiency of each unit - to make sure your room temperature is equal to the thermostat settings. If not, then you're compressor will keep running trying to attain a certain room temperature and waste a lot of electricity.

Keep your eyes peeled. You can find them in any shopping mall.

While you're at it, buy a meat thermometer, so you can cook great roast meals. They're about 1000 baht at Central.

Unfortunately i do not have any, i may however get one

Where can you get them?

I would suggest you put one in each room where you have an air conditioner. It allows you to check on the efficiency of each unit - to make sure your room temperature is equal to the thermostat settings. If not, then you're compressor will keep running trying to attain a certain room temperature and waste a lot of electricity.

Keep your eyes peeled. You can find them in any shopping mall.

While you're at it, buy a meat thermometer, so you can cook great roast meals. They're about 1000 baht at Central.

I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled, it would make my life so much better being able to monitor a/c thermostats. How is a meat thermometer different to a regular one?

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, some temperature readings from inside the Major Cineplex theatres at The Avenue. Sorry about the last posting as I had jotted them down in a notebook and forgotten about them.

My thermometer gives the minimum temperature and humidity reached:

Cinema 8 (August 22, 8:20 pm): 23.5°C Humidity - 60%

Cinema 4 (August 23, 8:25 pm): 21.9°C, Humidity - 54%

As expected, Cinema 8 was a bit warmer.

I was comfortable wearing a tank top and shorts to both sessions.

Edited by tropo

I think it is so that you don't fall asleep when watching the movie and then complain, or fall asleep and get robbed?

It may also be to dissuade the 'lovers' in the back row to abstain as cold has an effect on some people of, lets say, shrinkage!!!

Just a thought!

I think it is so that you don't fall asleep when watching the movie and then complain, or fall asleep and get robbed?

It may also be to dissuade the 'lovers' in the back row to abstain as cold has an effect on some people of, lets say, shrinkage!!!

Just a thought!

22°C causes shrinkage? That would mean permanent shrinkage in most people's home countries. I can easily fall asleep in there if the movies are boring but I've never checked my boys to see how they were doing.

Edited by tropo