Thaksin Gets Ready For Two-Week Us Visit

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denying him a visa would have been 'taking sides' as well.

I think you are wrong, and here is why. The USA denies visas to fugitives so denying just another fugitive is not treating him especially well or especially ill. Also if the USA had denied this, you'd never know about it. Thaksin wouldn't tell, the USA wouldn't tell. It would indeed be a totally NEUTRAL event. This visit is not. Now the USA is endorsing Thaksin. That's what he was looking for and that's what he got. Expecting him in Thailand soon now.

"Fugitive" is not the only category that Taksin could be placed in. He also might be viewed as being an popularly elected head-of-state who was deposed in a military coup and accused of crimes by purveyors of the coup. Political exiles have been given visas to the US before, and in a sense that's what Taksin is.

That is taking sides then, now, isn't it?

I've written the Bangkok embassy at [email protected]

I stated who I was and even gave my passport # saying it was mistake allowing this crook to enter the US.

It won't do any good. I still can't believe they'll let him in. It adds to his credibility and does nothing for Thai-American relations. Why would they allow him in when he's on the run from his own country? Let's see.

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 2

I stated who I was and even gave my passport # saying it was mistake allowing this crook to enter the US.

It won't do any good. I still can't believe they'll let him in. It adds to his credibility and does nothing for Thai-American relations. Why would they allow him in when he's on the run from his own country? Let's see.

I believe this decision was at the Hillary Clinton level. It is intentional. They are betting on the Thaksin forces winning. If they're right, it's good for the US. If they're wrong, it's not.
  • Like 1

I think you are wrong, and here is why. The USA denies visas to fugitives so denying just another fugitive is not treating him especially well or especially ill. Also if the USA had denied this, you'd never know about it. Thaksin wouldn't tell, the USA wouldn't tell. It would indeed be a totally NEUTRAL event. This visit is not. Now the USA is endorsing Thaksin. That's what he was looking for and that's what he got. Expecting him in Thailand soon now.

"Fugitive" is not the only category that Taksin could be placed in. He also might be viewed as being an popularly elected head-of-state who was deposed in a military coup and accused of crimes by purveyors of the coup. Political exiles have been given visas to the US before, and in a sense that's what Taksin is.

The US taking sides in a military coup is nothing unusual.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone else gets a similar idea, please consider how unwise this move is (sorry, it has to be said). Even though many of us live here, we do so by choice and part of that is that we have no say whatsoever in the political workings of this country. We have absolutely no right to a voice. It is clear that there may be some form of unofficial endorsement of Thaksin going on here (not because the US thinks he is a good man, but simply because he will be indebted to the US for any future 'favours' that are required), so to write and show yourself as an ardent protestor of the man and include your passport number is really inviting unnecessary trouble.

Another thought is that Thaksin wants to be extradited! Think of it. Thaksin goes to the USA, the Thai Government request his extradition. He is arrested, no contest from his lawyers and so is swiftly extradited back to his homeland. A process the Dems cannot complain about or prevent as it is legal. He arrives in Thailand, lodges an appeal and posts 10 million baht bail. He is then out, in Thailand, free to attend heroic rallies and whip the reds up in to such a frenzy that before you know it, case dropped and he claims his political throne. Sweet really, I bet his villa in Dubai is just full of boxes and packing cases already!

• Like 2

Maybe all these countries he hangs around in or travels to/through take the Coup and Junta ouster and subsquent conviction, with a grain of salt.

If the actions of the previous interim Junta and Gov could be taken seriously by another other serious country, Thaksin would of been arrested and shipped off to LOS long ago.

Then again, the US Gov might have been presented with all the evidence and have a proper international arrest and extradite warrant. If American coppers tackle this monster at the airport arrivals hall, guess we'll have our answer.

End of the day, nobody, including the Dems, really want Thaksin in a Thai Court singing like a bird. That might get a little awkward.

Law suits filed in the US would/should be of concern to Mr. T.

I am starting to wonder if he has already been issued with a diplomatic passport so getting immunity.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

If k. Thaksin has a diplomatic passport (e.g. a Thai one), the USA can still legally refuse him entry. Since we haven't seen k. Thaksin's shiny new Thai passport which was hand-delivered at the height of Thaliand biggest flooding in history, we don't know. Still A&P no longer registered as "Thaksin's lobbyists" has legal ramifications which I do not clearly understand, but which I wouldn't be surprise to heaar to have a relation with this.

Saw this the other day?

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin gets passport back: Govt

Bangkok: Thailand has given its fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra his passport back, the government said on Friday, despite strong opposition from the ex-tycoon's political opponents.

http://zeenews.india...ovt_747273.html

Not really, merely pointing out he became a "fugitive" after being convicted in absentia by Kangaroo Court.

I am writing the congressman and Senators from my state right after I post this. Do I think it will do any good, NO. Will it make me feel better, YES

Good for you. Will you tell them to refuse any investment he may bring to their state because you don't like the guy they're doing business with?

^ #43 ozemade

That article from December last year when the government finally admitted to have given k. Thaksin a shiny new passport more than a month before, indicated a 'normal passport'. The article has

""This normal passport has nothing to do with extradition or whether he's innocent, but only his nationality," foreign ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi told reporters."

So, always believing anything a government, and certainly a "Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts" one says, we can conclude k. Thaksin does have a normal Thai passport. Whatever else he may have is mostly speculation but for the Nicaraguan and Macedonian one.

Concerning Thaksins appearances in Manchester a while back, try contacting the agencies whose names appear on the images interesting facts come to light if you wait for a reply..

Regarding the issuance of an American visa, well Noppadorn like Thaksin and the greater majority of their cronies are only on a nodding aquaintence with the truth.

Not really, merely pointing out he became a "fugitive" after being convicted in absentia by Kangaroo Court.

Erm ... he was sentenced in absentia, because he 'did a runner', anticipating a guilty-verdict, surely ? wink.png

And Kangaroos, that's Austria, isn't it ? rolleyes.gif

Just to remind people of the timeline. K. Thaksin became a fugitive after jumping bail and not returning from the OS in Beijing as he had promised. The trial had already reached the stage that even without him it could be concluded with a verdict (guilty/not guilty/retrial?). It did give a 'guilty' with a two-year sentence as some may remember. Many other cases cannot proceeed as the accused must be present in person first to hear the cgharges.

• Like 1

A kangaroo court? Do you have the remotest idea what you are talking about? Clearly not as you would also have known what Ricardo has already said, Thaksin was in abstentia because, having been tipped off he was going down he did a runner.

I very much doubt the US will become involved in the political games that originate in Thailand. If the man comes in and behaves himself and leaves when he is supposed to that will be that. The US embassy keeps home base fully apprized on what goes on here and one only need look at the newspapers to see the games that go on. This permission to enter is not a judgement on whether he is a good or bad man but in my oppinion only a realization by the US Gov. that all may not be as it seems.

• Like 1

He was the PM of a country. There is more leeway given to them in granting visas.

I very much doubt the US will become involved in the political games that originate in Thailand. If the man comes in and behaves himself and leaves when he is supposed to that will be that. The US embassy keeps home base fully apprized on what goes on here and one only need look at the newspapers to see the games that go on. This permission to enter is not a judgement on whether he is a good or bad man but in my oppinion only a realization by the US Gov. that all may not be as it seems.

Agreed. Thai politics are such a circus that US will be likely to take neither's side. Both sides running to court over stupid stuff, defamation this, defamation that, and etc. It seems anyone in Thai politics can get a judgment for anything given the right judge.

Letting Thaksin enter is not taking a side provided the laws regarding entry are applied.

Law suits filed in the US would/should be of concern to Mr. T.

I am starting to wonder if he has already been issued with a diplomatic passport so getting immunity.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

If k. Thaksin has a diplomatic passport (e.g. a Thai one), the USA can still legally refuse him entry. Since we haven't seen k. Thaksin's shiny new Thai passport which was hand-delivered at the height of Thaliand biggest flooding in history, we don't know. Still A&P no longer registered as "Thaksin's lobbyists" has legal ramifications which I do not clearly understand, but which I wouldn't be surprise to heaar to have a relation with this.

Could it be A&P are distancing themselves,before the...... hit-the-fan.gif ???

Give me a break! Does anybody really believe that the U.S., China and Russia need to issue a visa to meet with Mr. T? The meetings have already happened. The visits are just for show.

Mr. T is a corrupt and ruthless politician. But, he is a lot smarter than the corrupt politicians currently in power. He'll be back. And you little girls who still believe in black and white need to go home.

• Like 1

Give me a break! Does anybody really believe that the U.S., China and Russia need to issue a visa to meet with Mr. T? The meetings have already happened. The visits are just for show.

Mr. T is a corrupt and ruthless politician. But, he is a lot smarter than the corrupt politicians currently in power. He'll be back. And you little girls who still believe in black and white need to go home.

I thought he is currently in power or at least a clone from him.