Battery Life In Thailand

rcalsop

What advice regarding the disconnection of the battery leads on vehicles, mines an Isuzu Highlander

When leaving it static without being able to turn the engine over.

For and against please are appreciated.

I,ve just bought another battery after just over 2 years from new. ( It cost 1200 baht )

It went flat last time i went home ????? even though someone was giving it a turn over once a week.

I,m not sure if the security system could have been responsible for draining it off ???

marshbags :o

Disconnecting a battery on a modern 'electronic' vehicle may result in the loss of computer memory, which could mean that you may not be able to start the vehicle and/or you may have to 're-teach' it about load/idle functions (eg. V series commodore).

Disconnecting it will not do anything to save the battery, unless there is a significant leakage current somewhere in the vehicle to drain the battery. To decrease 'local action' (self discharge), the internal chemical processes can be slowed down by storing the battery in a very cool/cold dry place.

Thanks for the information and advice, 'Elkangorito', i,ll get someone to turn it over a couple of times a week for me.

marshbags :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Factors that shorten battery life here:

1) heat

2) the BKK dust has a lot of metal and other conductive stuff in it, causing little power drains here and there over time

3) extensive idling while stuck in BKK traffic (can be solved by getting a bigger wheel for the alternator)

1) Yes

2) Possibly

3) A correctly functioning alternator should be able to maintain charge at idle with the lights on but add your 400W stereo and it's a different story.

BTW if you want charging to start earlier you need a SMALLER pulley on the alternator or a BIGGER one on the crankshaft. Either carries the risk of overspeeding your alternator and the subsequent explosion of same on a fast run, and of course you then have a non-standard fan belt required.

Gary A. I've had several batteries just die on me in tropical locations, one morning it just won't do anything (once it wouldn't even open the doors). No sitting in traffic with the lights on etc. just didn't wake up in the morning. Only fix is replacement.

i bought battery for a sport rider 2 years ago the original lasted 5 years i bought the car new 18 months ago bought a new fortuner kept sportrider but rarely drive it garage always the battery is just fine starts easily even after a month ithink 3-4 years normal milage is the norm any where but you do get faulty ones from time to time............

Just another note on this subject, for anyone with an auto diesel, diesel engines rely on the heat generated by compression for ignition so fast enough cranking is essential.

I had a low battery on a D-Max, it would turn over but not fire, (radio used too long night before engine switched off) as most people know ya can't push start an automatic. Another trick which got me out of the sh1t and may help others.

Once you have tried for too long and really killed the battery first go grab a coffee and another person. This needs to take at least ten minutes (enough time for battery to recover a little bit) then pop the bonnet, and take the top cover off the air intake. This on most cars has 3 or 4 metal clamps, then a large hose is connected to it. Now you can block off the intake pipe with your hand (the opening connected to the large hose, from the inside) while someone else cranks the engine for you. You will feel the suction on your hand, don't be scared it really won't pull you in! You are creating a vacume in the cylinders, thus allowing the engine to crank over much faster the normal because theres nothing to compress. Pull your hand quickly clear while its still being cranked and 90% of the time it will fire as the sudden in-rush of air is there for combustion and the flywheel has taken care of the extra momentum you just caused.

Disclaimer:

Obviously please keeps hands jewelry feet hair arms and legs etc etc well clear of fans and belts.

Its your fault if you listened to me and hurt yourself.

This will only work if you have enough juice left in the battery to actually turn the engine over abit, just not quite fast enough. If your battery is stuffed you ain't go no chance. :o

Edited by Pomthai

Just another note on this subject, for anyone with an auto diesel, diesel engines rely on the heat generated by compression for ignition so fast enough cranking is essential.

I had a low battery on a D-Max, it would turn over but not fire, (radio used too long night before engine switched off) as most people know ya can't push start an automatic. Another trick which got me out of the sh1t and may help others.

Once you have tried for too long and really killed the battery first go grab a coffee and another person. This needs to take at least ten minutes (enough time for battery to recover a little bit) then pop the bonnet, and take the top cover off the air intake. This on most cars has 3 or 4 metal clamps, then a large hose is connected to it. Now you can block off the intake pipe with your hand (the opening connected to the large hose, from the inside) while someone else cranks the engine for you. You will feel the suction on your hand, don't be scared it really won't pull you in! You are creating a vacume in the cylinders, thus allowing the engine to crank over much faster the normal because theres nothing to compress. Pull your hand quickly clear while its still being cranked and 90% of the time it will fire as the sudden in-rush of air is there for combustion and the flywheel has taken care of the extra momentum you just caused.

Disclaimer:

Obviously please keeps hands jewelry feet hair arms and legs etc etc well clear of fans and belts.

Its your fault if you listened to me and hurt yourself.

This will only work if you have enough juice left in the battery to actually turn the engine over abit, just not quite fast enough. If your battery is stuffed you ain't go no chance. :o

I tried push starting my old Landcruiser one day (BJ43). With a compression ratio of about 17:1, extra weight in the back, in top gear & being pushed by another vehicle, the wheels still locked up.

Edited by elkangorito

Well believe it, the same battery which last 18 months here will last you 4~5 years in Europe. It's nothing to do with quality, it's got all to do with the high temperatures. In europe people confuse the topic and think cold weather kills the battery, it does not. Cold weather only shows the battery is at its end. Summer heat and usage cause the wear (internal) and cold weather shows its the end of the thing.

Eeven if you would bring in your expensive Varta battery, made in Germany, lasting 7 years in Europe, it will not pull 24 months here. Simply fact. I recall being flabbergasted at the battery wear rate here.

safe driving !