Battery Life In Thailand

rcalsop

In 30 plus years of motoring, driving and car ownership in varied locations , I have rarely purchased new batteries and when I have they have been 4 /5 years old . My Thai wife some time ago asked me when should we change the car battery I laughed at her and said they recharge and have a good life do not worry it is not like changing batteries in a torch . She had the last laugh !!

I recently had a sudden battery failure on my Honda of 14 months .. I started to enquire from Thai friends / Honda / Be Quick /local mechanic... was this normal .I was suprised with the response that it is a general feeling in Thailand that over a years service is okay , two guys change the battery always after 14 to 18 months as a standard practice . Also very few people have battery chargers , it is not even easy to buy one ..a cheap and cheerful Halfords charger does not seem to exist . I did buy one some time back as standard equipment but it was expensive big and not easy to get .

Be Quick said over one year service it could need changing as normal ... I had never thought this way or even heard this before .

Okay the prices are not that expensive Honda ( HAMP ) 820 baht new replacement ....Be quick ...950 baht ... sealed non maintainance type 1200 but small size difficult to get ...

The battery is considered a frequently changed commodity item here is it because of different standards , high use of A/C, traffic conditions ?.

What are your observations ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car batteries tend to lose about half an amp/day if they are not used. The trouble with car batteries is that they are not deep cycle batteries like the kind used on boats. They are made to be partially drained and then promptly charged back up by the alternator. Leaving your lights on once will probably not hurt a good quality battery. Do it twice and it may have a negative effect on performance. Three or more times and the battery is shot. Don't go cheap on car batteries, buy the best one you can find and provided you don't leave the lights on, it should last about four years.

Car batteries tend to lose about half an amp/day if they are not used. The trouble with car batteries is that they are not deep cycle batteries like the kind used on boats. They are made to be partially drained and then promptly charged back up by the alternator. Leaving your lights on once will probably not hurt a good quality battery. Do it twice and it may have a negative effect on performance. Three or more times and the battery is shot. Don't go cheap on car batteries, buy the best one you can find and provided you don't leave the lights on, it should last about four years.

I used to agree with your comments having used batteries for cars boats caravans I would argue the facts exactly as you have just done ... but that appears not to be the reality in Thailand why that is the real question . The local petrolheads at work here think I am carazy .( sic) when I talk about years of service in reference to batteries .

Vehicle batteries get a hard life in tropical climates, even if the engine isn't running you get ambient temperatures of 45C in the engine compartment, add to that how hot it gets with the engine heat and aircon exhaust and you have a receipe for short life.

Over several years of motoring in Thailand, Malaysia and other warm places I've seen batteries last as short a time as 13 months, not like the UK where you can get 5 years or longer out of a good battery if you look after it.

Also the failure is not gradual, just go to start up one morning and it's stone dead, won't even take a charge, new battery required. Unfortunately that's how it is :o

Even in th UK I'd never buy a used battery to put on the car and certainly not one 4/5 years old, just too much risk of it not starting, false economy.

Edited by Crossy

I had a Holden V6 in Australia & 2 years it stopped working so I took it to get checked. Yes it was dead. Previous cars I would get 3 - 5 years. Mobile Battery guy told me reason was the size of my engine and that modern cars now use more power air con, electric everything etc.

Work that was only 9km's from home did not help my battery life. Do a few longer trips on the tollways weekends is my tip :o

I have had five Toyotas and one Isuzu since I moved to LOS.

Each Toyota battery would last 2 years but the Isuzu battery lasted 4 years. When I mentioned this to a mechanic he said yes that was right.

I still haven't figured it out. Any suggestions ?

I had the same experience, new car new battery, after 18 months needed replacing, thought it was my fault, not topping up the water often enough, next battery, checked every month, 18 months later just died suddenly, everyone told me its par for the course, 2 years max for a battery, its ok though they cost about 1000 baht, back home its 3-4X that, so in terms of cost per year its about the same or less

I didn't realize so many folks had experienced short battery life here in Thailand. A good Die Hard battery in my hometown would provide about four years of service and most of them are maintenance free. A good battery in the States would cost around $75 (3,500 baht) or more. I haven't had to purchase one here yet but I imagine that I will have to before long since this one is already two years old.

This is all a bit odd.

The main work that a car battery has to cope with is in turning over the engine to start it. Now, here in LoS it's rarely cold and the engine oil is rarely thick so the battery doesn't have to work that hard. Back in the UK, and even more so in Canada and N America, for example, the winters are cold and the oil tends to thicken up overnight. So much so that sump heaters are commonplace in the colder areas. In the UK a battery will typically give 5 years of service, provided that it's a reputable make in the first place. I've had batteries that have lasted for more than seven years.

I don't really see why battery life in LoS should be so short, provided that the vehicle electrical system is in good order and the battery is properly maintained - although most these days seem to be fit and forget types. Maybe it's all down to poorer quality but, having said that, I don't believe that Toyota or Honda, etc. produce inferior items specifically for Thailand. The batteries are probably all made to the same spec. regardless of where they end up.

Anyway, my Honda battery is just about a year old now so I'll just cross my fingers and hope!

DM

I lived on Saipan (a tropical island) for 26 years before I moved to Thailand. I never had a car battery last more than two years; even on a new car; even buying a top quality battery. The heat and humidity just cause them to deteriorate more rapidly than in a more temperate climate.

My battery in my Toyota has lasted two years so far and I wouldn,t bother changing it until it stuffs up as a new one can be brought pretty well any where.

How every I have notice I chew through motorbike batterys as I doesn,t get started for a month when I am at work I am on the 3rd battery in 2 1/2 years

I recently posted about buying a battery charger after having a flat battery. Nearly everyone who answered tried to tell me I shouldn't need one because a battery recharges itself in a short time. Well it doesn't! If you make short journeys or don't use your car so often the battery needs charging once in a while. Also check and top-up the water as I don't think the Thais do this when servicing. Anyway, my Toyota pick-up is now over 3 years old as is the battery. I topped the water up and borrowed a batt/ch. and the problem for now seems to be sorted.

> Also check and top-up the water as I don't think the Thais do this when

> servicing.

Of course they do. Cant recall a single time when doing a 'minor' oil change service that the guy didn't clean/replace the air filter and checked all liquids, including battery water liquid. (Hey, it's a potential extra 10 baht sale!)

This includes all service jobs from the official dealer to gas stations to Uncle Wit's tool shack down the road.

Personally though I never ever check battery water or anything else really. When it starts to work less well I just buy a battery that doesn't need refilling. (Ok I MIGHT check oil before and after a long drive but I don't know why really because it's always okay.)

My battery is considerably narrower than I'd expect back home. Maybe 60% the size. This might be because it's doing less work on the occasional very cold startups than in freezing England, the engine not being so stiff on startup. In other words the batteries back home have to be big enough to handle the occasional bitter morning, but do not need that amperage most of the time. in other words they have extra capacity.

This might mean that here, on a lot of startups, the moderately cold and warm ones, more current's running through the plates, they being smaller. Yes as someone said these are not deep cycle, but nor are the ones at home.

So this could be the cause of short life. I also have experienced it and yes they go without warning.

I may replace each year, they're cheap.

Thats a good point sleepyjohn a friend of mine who tried to recharge my CRV batt before we decide to replace said it was to small really, considering it was starting a 2 litre engine and also said runing the air con when the car was idling caused a big strain on the batt and would shorten its life, but they are cheap so a new one every 18 months or so is no biggie

It's simple,

Battery life is dependant on plate thickness as these gradually deteriorate as it gets used and when there is little plate material left it will need replacing. Thicker plate batteries last longer but cost more (lead is relatively expensive) Thinner ones are cheaper but wear out quicker.

They both can have the same capacity though.

You can feel the weight difference between a cheap one compared to an expensive one.

All this talk of humidity and having to charge them is wrong. It is hot under a hood/ bonnet wherever you are and if you own an older pickup you will hear a relay click about 5 seconds after you start it (being more of an agricultural machine). That is the voltage regulator switching because the battery has regained it's charge from the start up and it will continue to switch in and out as demand dictates, keeping itself fully charged.

That is why it is important to replace your cars battery with exactly the same type as before, It has been specced by the manufacturer to handle your cars particular demand. Although you could get a better quality and more expensive one that will last longer.

Edited by Bung

I thought you were talking about small batteries. :o

I just got back from the store and bought batteries (they were still wrapped) for my wireless mouse, all turned out to be duds, all dead.

Panasonic Neo (black and white), CR@P!

I went back and got Panasonic Alkalines (gold-black-green), all fine.

Both made in Japan.

I am not convinced that heat/humidity is the answer.

I like Bung's theory it makes sense.

If aircon does reduce battery life because of a high discharge rate then that would explain my Toyota/Isuzu battery life of 2 versus 4 years.

The Toyota has heater plugs the Isuzu doesn't .

I am not convinced that heat/humidity is the answer.

I like Bung's theory it makes sense.

If aircon does reduce battery life because of a high discharge rate then that would explain my Toyota/Isuzu battery life of 2 versus 4 years.

The Toyota has heater plugs the Isuzu doesn't .

From reading the replies and observations it seems that in general batteries supplied in Thailand have a limited life and should be considered as a consumable/ service relacement item (especially with the number of Auto boxes here) after about 14 months ....they give little warning of failure and give up the ghost quickly as if the plates are warped or damaged . Trying to up grade is not that easy as the availability is limited and the design of Thailand produced cars is such that the supplied battery is a snug fit with a tight tray and specialy designed plastic look pretty covers so other /bigger amperage batteries will not easily fit .

I lived in Jamaica for five years had to buy 2 Batteries for my 2.5 V6 Camry, which i should imagine turns over dead easy, air con didn't work so didn't have that load. I don't recall having ever bought a battery in England, though most of my cars were old bangers.

The battery I bought in Ja was one of the best there, but ultimately I think probably a battery that is 80% of the quality of a proper battery just doesn't hack it in the tropics.

I don't think it's the heat primarily. I lived 18 years in Las Vegas where it gets much hotter than here. Average grade batteries there lasted 3 years. The best car battery made is the 'Optima' which comes with an 8 year guarantee, first 3 years no pro-rating at all, complete replacement. This is a sealed battery and very 'beefy'.

I think the batteries here are just cheap...not very high quality.

Steve

Edited by LoveDaBlues

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think it's the heat primarily. I lived 18 years in Las Vegas where it gets much hotter than here. Average grade batteries there lasted 3 years. The best car battery made is the 'Optima' which comes with an 8 year guarantee, first 3 years no pro-rating at all, complete replacement. This is a sealed battery and very 'beefy'.

I think the batteries here are just cheap...not very high quality.

Steve

I bet there're few Australians who are surprised by the battery life. The heat has a great deal to do with it. While it's hot under the hood anywhere, the battery is being charged when the car is running. Later when it's just sitting around, the chemical reaction is faster if the temperature is warmer. That's what deteriorates it.

Most of my batteries die in Southern California in 2 or 3 years even if I buy 84 month warranty, expensive batteries. Quality may have something to do with it in Thailand, but since the heat will kill it fast, why bother with the most expensive batteries?

http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/batteries2.html

http://www.austintexasbusiness.com/transpo...r-batteries.php

http://www.ecozen.com/battery1.htm

Both Bung & Carmine6 are correct.

Battery life is determined by;

1) Ambient operating temp.

2) Plate thickness.

3) discharge rate.

4) electrolyte 'specific gravity'

5) charge rate & voltage.

To dispel a few myths, running extra electrical devices within your car will not have a bad effect upon your battery providing your alternator is not overloaded. Eg if you have a 35 amp alternator (standard for small cars) & your total load doers not exceed this value of current, your battery will be correctly & adequately charged. It's easy to tell if you have exceeded the output of the alternator - (do this test at night) start your car, turn on everything electrical & providing the headlights do not change in brightness too much when you rev the engine, everything should be ok. With a modern car, very little to no change would be expected under the above conditions. If, however, your alternator is overloaded (excluding possible electrical faults), then you would observe a noticable differnce in the brightness of the headlights between idle & above idle. If the lights dim noticably, it is likely that the voltage being supplied to the battery is a little low, thus not allowing full & proper charging of the battery.

Temperatures.

Most lead acid batteries have a max design charge/discharge temp of between 20 to 25 degrees celcius. If the ambient temps are higher, the battery will have a shortened life for given charge/discharge rates. Tropical conditions therefore, will have the effect of reducing battery life.

Battery size/type.

If the battery is too small for a given condition ie crank current, it is likely that the plates will bend & may even touch together, shorting out cells & therefore reducing the battery voltage. Also, the distance between the bottom of the plates & the bottom of the battery varies between each brand/type. As the battery discharges, lead oxide slowly falls off the plates & accumulates on the bottom of the battery. Eventually, the build up of lead oxide will reach the plates & short them out, resulting in a dead battery.

If you buy an over-sized battery, you may get a little longer life out of it but it will suffer a much more 'shallow' charge. This can be a problem when a large load is placed upon it as it may simply not perform. You see, lead acid cells have 'charge memory'. If it is discharged slowly, it will charge slowly & visa versa. If it is only ever slightly discharged, it is likely not to handle a large load (if it is old) but it will still work perfectly under low discharge currents.

Types.

Most automotive batteries are flat plate lead acid cells, with thicker plates for higher discharge rates & shock loads. Other types are tubular plate & Fibre cinter cell. These last 2 types are very expensive, have very long lives & are mainly used in commercial/industrial UPS or traction applications.

Care for your battery.

Every month, check the electrolyte level. Ensure that all the plates are covered by about 5mm of fluid. You should only top up the battery with distilled water. Tap water has too many impurities in it & will reduce the life/performance of the battery. Buy a Hydrometer & check the 'specific gravity' of the electrolyte. It should be between about 1.2 & 1.3 (1.25 is perfect). A low specific gravity can mean that you need to add acid (36% dilution of Sulphuric Acid). Add water if the SG is high.

In summary, buy the cheapest battery you can get because the weather conditions of Thailand will generally not allow you to get the true life/performance out of even the most expensive battery. BTW, humidity will not affect the battery. The average voltage to your battery as supplied by the alternator, should be between 13.5 & 16 volts but no less than 13.5 under any conditions (due to internal resistance, which increases with the battery's age). If the charge voltage is too high, check your vehicle's electrical system as this high voltage will 'cook' the battery (high charge current).

Now this is why i like the motoring forum, it's a much kinder and more informative than the other forums. we ask about batteries and we get expert information from people like elkangorito. Cheers!

I visited the dark side recently and i can tell you, we are better off here talking about the simpler things in life.

Long live the cyber shed!!