Changing Bht Into $Aud

Change it at BKK airport.

Travelex is the only airport currence changers in AU.

They will give you about 5 baht per dollar less than anywhere else.

If you get 25 baht in the $ you are lucky even though the exchange rate is about 32.

BKK airport will probable give you 29.5 to 30 baht per $

Best to change it at a place like Super Rich before you leave Bangkok. Better rates than at the airport.

Let's try this over in the Banking forum.

Topic Moved.

I totally agree with the above statement Never change change Baht to Australian in Australia upon your return. You loose heaps. Just google exchange rates from Australian banks and you will see.

Change it at BKK airport.

Travelex is the only airport currence changers in AU.

They will give you about 5 baht per dollar less than anywhere else.

If you get 25 baht in the $ you are lucky even though the exchange rate is about 32.

BKK airport will probable give you 29.5 to 30 baht per $

I think airports are about the worst place to change money - I personally would shop around the banks to see if they will do it. UOB has always given me good rates.

By looking at today's/3Aug 12 Buying/Selling Rates at Commonwealth Bank in Oz and Bangkok Bangkok Bank in Thailand you would need to give Commonwealther 36.58 baht (there Buying Rate for Thai Baht) to get 1 AUD and give Bangkok Bank 33.375 baht (their Selling Rate for AUD) to get 1 AUD. That's a 9.6% lower exchange rate given by Commonwealth...ouch!!!!

And for those folks sending AUD to their Thai bank accounts always send in AUD and let the Thai bank exchange the money because your home country bank most likely won't give you a very good exchange rate when sending money either. From looking at the exchange rate on the Commonwealth page it sucks.

Outside to Thailand, the Thai baht is not really a sought after/widely used currency like USD, GBP, EURO, etc., therefore, you don't get a very good rate outside of Thailand. And as mentioned, when sending money to Thailand don't let your home country bank convert to baht before sending as you'll get a lower exchange rate....let the Thai bank do the conversion.

And of course some banks--the really greedy ones--just have lousy exchanges rates for any currency. Fees-R-Us is their motto.

Edited by Pib

OK so I changed some in city at kasikorn (only bank that was open!) And got 33.60 Then got to BKK airport only to find that Siam commercial had a better rate at 34.09! There goes the theory that its always more of a Rip off to change it at the airport! It was actually better there!

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect App

You've misunderstood, if exchanging from baht to A$, the rate of 34.09 means you would have received less A$

OK so I changed some in city at kasikorn (only bank that was open!) And got 33.60 Then got to BKK airport only to find that Siam commercial had a better rate at 34.09! There goes the theory that its always more of a Rip off to change it at the airport! It was actually better there!

You've misunderstood, if exchanging from baht to A$, the rate of 34.09 means you would have received less A$

This is a perfect example of how the banks and money exchangers make their money taking advantage of brain fuzzed travelers who are really just thinking about getting home. Maybe should have used a money calculating app on that Desire HD (or come to me I'd have given him 35whistling.gif )

Yeap, rudy2000 had to give the airport "more" baht to get each AUD; therefore, he lost out in the exchange. He got 1.5% less at the airport.

Or use an analogy, the airport had a price tag of B34.09 on each AUD it was selling (like paying B34.09 for a bottle of beer) and the bank had a lower price tag of B33.60 on each AUD (like paying B33.60 for a bottle of beer). A person needs to understand the difference in Buying and Selling rates "and what currency they are buying or selling" otherwise they'll get the exchange rate reversed in their brain. But it's not reversed in the brain of the money exchanger.

Edited by Pib