Fixed IP-address or NAT?

george

I can choose NAT or fixed IP on an IPstar installation. The fixed IP costs 200 Baht per month extra.

Why would I not pay the extra 200 Baht? Any negative issues using NAT? Sounds to me that a fixed IP would be more secure?

Please advise.

I can choose NAT or fixed IP on an IPstar installation. The fixed IP costs 200 Baht per month extra.

Why would I not pay the extra 200 Baht? Any negative issues using NAT? Sounds to me that a fixed IP would be more secure?

Please advise.

Fixed IP from your provider is most likely to be a NAT address within the ISPs own Network anyway... so Im not really sure what you mean... when they say fixed - theyre probably refering to a Static NAT address instead of a Dynamic NAT.

Without getting too in-deapth with this - I wouldnt think it would make too much difference unless you are hosting on your own PC.. a website etc... either way the NAT Routers and DNS should handle this but if youre hosting a site it would be best to have a static/fixed NAT.

not sure if thats any help... difficult question really, if you understand what NAT does and how it works then you can see that it shouldnt make too much difference..... but then again networking is a dark art - believe me

As Rio wrote,

major advantage of fixed IP is when you have to give access to your PC from the outside world!

Three main usages are a webserver, an FTP server or a mailserver running on your PC. A webcam (as lampshade tried) might be easier with a fixed IP as well.

If you have a dynamic IP address (when you want to spend the 200 Baht on Chang :o ) there is a free and easy workaround in the form of dyndns.org, combined with a small program on your PC called dynDNS updater. Every time you get a new IP address, the program on your PC will notify dyndns.org, so your PC can always be found...

As far as security is concerned, a dynamic IP is actually the safest option. With a fixed IP, a hacker will know your PC will still be there the day after at the same IP. If he can't get in the first day he'll try again the day after. And the day after. Until he is in.

With a dynamic IP, if he tries again the day after he'll be hitting a different iPSTAR customer who just happens to have the IP you had the day before...

As Rio wrote,

major advantage of fixed IP is when you have to give access to your PC from the outside world!

Three main usages are a webserver, an FTP server or a mailserver running on your PC. A webcam (as lampshade tried) might be easier with a fixed IP as well.

If you have a dynamic IP address (when you want to spend the 200 Baht on Chang :D ) there is a free and easy workaround in the form of dyndns.org, combined with a small program on your PC called dynDNS updater. Every time you get a new IP address, the program on your PC will notify dyndns.org, so your PC can always be found...

As far as security is concerned, a dynamic IP is actually the safest option. With a fixed IP, a hacker will know your PC will still be there the day after at the same IP. If he can't get in the first day he'll try again the day after. And the day after. Until he is in.

With a dynamic IP, if he tries again the day after he'll be hitting a different iPSTAR customer who just happens to have the IP you had the day before...

agreed -

if hosting something go for static and hide behind a good router/firewall - as with all "always on connections"

if not hosting and security is of paramount importance go for the dynamic - and still obviously hide behind router/firewall

as monty says - dns servers at the ISP will update if dynamic address are used.

PS i didnt know about dyndns - learn something new everyday :o

George

If you want to use any torrent software then get the Fixed IP - as you will find that with the NAT connection you will be listed as unconnectable on the torrent sites - as you will be going through yet another layer of CSLX 's routers after the proxy

VOIP software will also perform better. As I have found using both Skype and VOIP Cheap - where I have a UK telephone number that is on the PC.

I changed to Fixed - they do it in about 8 hours after my phone call - they also screwed up for a fortnight and I had download speeds of around 2.3Mbps! I download the 5GB of an 8 episode UK TV series overnight! Unfortunatley they realised their mistake and I'm back to my 1 Mbps connection again.

But it really depends upon what you are using the net for in your own capacity.

PS they still have not added the 200 baht extra to my invoices!! - yet...