Where To Set Up A Martin & A Slide Guitar?

Gone

Ok I bought a Martin acoustic. One of the ones that are now made in Mexico so it already came with a built in crappy pick-up therefore Im not worried about drilling a hole for the pick-up.

Anyone who knows Martins knows that they do NOT come already set up. That's why many people go into a music store, try playing a Martin and think "Wow I thought they would be easier to play."

Previously when I buy a Martin, I take the bridge and the nut off and sand the backs down until I have perfect action. This time with the Mexican brand I still expected the bridge and nut to be made from bone. They are not. They are made of plastic so after a few strokes on the sand-paper, I re-strung to find out that I had already went to deep and now the strings hit the frets. :( I did manage to put some thin paper under both and now it plays ok but it's just not the same.

Ok so back to the guitar store to buy a new bridge and nut BUT they don't sell any that are alike for a Martin. I should mention that I live in Pattaya and went to the music store here.

Anyways, I am looking for a store or a mechanic maybe in Bkk that could supply a new bridge and nut (or I might have to buy one off Ebay) and set up my guitar and also install a GOOD pick-up.

I also bought a Bottle neck blues slide guitar and want to have a good pick-up installed in it as well.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows where I could have this done and their phone number would be good too if you know it. Pattaya would be nice but I'm thinking it won't happen here.

For what it's worth, those miniature elephant tusks that they sell to tourists that are really made of either cow or buffalo bone make really nice sounding bridge saddles... Saw them down and you have enough bone blanks to make several. I made a couple of compensated bridge saddles for my guitar, experimenting until I got perfect intonation. Just a digital caliper, a small back saw, a set of needle files and some wet/dry sandpaper and an afternoon sitting in the shade... Not very hard to do at all.

@Gone - Sorry to hear about your Martin. You may find this link helpful. I think they are in Bangkok. Good luck to you.(To admin: I don't know if I can post the link. If not, please remove my post).

http://www.acousticshops.com/store/product/view/Bone_Saddle_for_Acoustic_Guitar_�ͺ���ºL=72mm-15062553-en.html

Anyway, I had a similar situation. I bought a Japanese Morris W-25 recently and had to retrofit a new bridge. Luckily all went well and the sound is superb. It is so sweet with clarity and mellow base tone. I'm in love again with the acoustic guitar. Cheers.

Martin guitars are set up correctly when they leave the factory, having said that I have no experience of Mexican builds but I would have thought that if they bear the Martin name they would be set up correctly. To sand down the bridge of your Martin is frankly a very dangerous thing to do.

There is one guy in Pattaya who I have used also my friend who owns Martins has used, he also does many of the big name bands instruments in Thailand as well. He may be able to put right what you have put wrong.

Go down Pattaya Klang and turn right into the Big C turn at the traffic lights, take the first

(I think,maybe second ) tiny soi on the right, go straight to the end and opposite on the road across the top is his place, its a private house. His name is Mr. Mike.

If you have trouble finding him send me a PM I have his number somewhere.

post-147691-0-99307000-1344059262_thumb.Thank you to all for your replies. This is only the second Martin I have bought and yes the last one was also one of the less expensive 34,000 baht ones so another case where Martin is opening up manufacturing companies in countries with cheaper labour. (e.g.; Mexico)

The thing is with the last one I bought it did have bone bridge and nut and it took me well over 12 hours of sanding, re-stringing, sanding etc. before I got the action perfect. I did some research and found that most do not come set up however I still believe what Rimmer says that they are already set up. Then again for 34k ($1000.00 USD) it is not like you are buying an old D-28 or something.

I will try this Mr. Mike in Pattaya howepost-147691-0-04170500-1344059291_thumb.post-147691-0-97119700-1344059315_thumb.ver I still need the pick-ups done in both guitars so I thank those suggestions regarding Bkk places and will most likely head up there after contacting them.

I Googled "Pick-ups for Martins) and there is so much controversy regarding which ones are the best that I just cannot decide. Anyone have any suggestions? I do know that a Martin is better off just mic'd but.........

Asfar as a pick-up for a bottleneck slide does anyone know if they have these or do I just use one of those stick-on ones? Thing is if I want to jam at Leo's Blues Bar, using a mic does not work.