Shops And Clubs Flout Buddhist Lent: Alcohol Sales Ban

webfact

Shops and clubs flout Buddhist Lent

The Nation

30187640-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Despite awareness campaigns and legal actions against alcohol sales during the beginning of Buddhist Lent, stores were illegally selling liquor. There was even a new type of alcoholic drink launched on Asalha Bucha Day, the Office of Alcohol Control said yesterday.

An unnamed store in Ubon Ratchathani is faced with a possible daily fine of Bt50,000 in addition to liability for six months in prison for selling booze on the prohibited days, said OAC director Dr Samarn Footrakool.

Also in the northeastern province, a small shop was found to be selling alcohol and another shop had a drawing for liquor, both in violation of the 2007 antialcohol law, Samarn said.

On Thursday - Asalha Bucha Day and the beginning of Buddhist Lent - a club in Bangkok's RCA nightlifeentertainment zone launched a new cocktail. The unnamed drink was mixed with coffee and offered to young drinkers, according to advertising available during the launch party, Samarn said.

The new beverage prompts concern among authorities about the possible introduction of more alcoholic drinks mixed with vitamins, energy supplements or purported healthboosting substances, which makes suppression of them more difficult.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-04

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bust the little mum and pop stores, they aren't exactly selling truckloads and what they do sell hardly provides enoungh income to feed the family for a day.

Because it is the law?

Because alcoholics have rights, too?

Or something else?

What's the right answer? :)

If this were dealt with the way other recreational drugs are, then everyone who takes a sip of beer or wine or booze would be criminalized. So too would everyone, from the top exec at Chivas Regal down to the flunkie rumaging through thrown-out bottles behind the bar in the back alley, looking for a few sips. It would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? But wait, that's officialdoms' draconian attitude toward all recreational drugs other than those made from fermented sugars.

....and the people who make and enforce the laws are drug users themselves. It's just their recreational drug of choice has been deemed legal. All others are illegal.

Oh no. Thai society and culture must be on slippery slope to ruin. Dont worry, the legal system will solve it. 500 years in jail and a one squillion baht fine for such a heinous crime.

And not a foreigner in site to blame. Surely not. Wait for, it wil be the ancient Egyptians fault for discovering alcohol.

Why bust the little mum and pop stores, they aren't exactly selling truckloads and what they do sell hardly provides enoungh income to feed the family for a day.

Actually your wrong and let's be fair if the clubs ,bars , restaurants do it the everyone should after all it's their culture ....for me sell alcohol when you like but ...l

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Afaik, it was sale not consumption that was declared illegal. By inference, consumption might be discouraged, but not illegal. As usual, most people stock up in advance for a couple of days, rather than encourage others to break the law by trying to buy. That way, they can respect Thai customs and the law, and still enjoy their favored tipple.

Its what a lot of people don't get about these restrictions, it is the sale of alcohol and not consumption that is banned. As an example, myself and the missus with some friends went out for a meal last night and brought a bottle with us. Three people at our table were drinking for three hours, being served with mixers and ice by the restaurant. Nothing said, great night!

We try to do this for all the 'non-sell' days

Right on. Yesterday I was riding my motorcycle down a back street in down town Chiang Mai, behind a temple of all places. And there was what I can only describe as a literal blackmarket of beer sales. I must have counted about 40 or 50 cartons of beer sitting there with a middle aged couple standing there selling it. Chang and Leo being sold by the bottle or box , right there on the side of the small soi in broad daylight. Quite funny to see.

Actually your wrong and let's be fair if the clubs ,bars , restaurants do it the everyone should after all it's their culture ....for me sell alcohol when you like but ...l

I asked a question, how is that wrong?

• Like 1

By the letter of the law. The law sucks and hurts the people you are talking about financially everytime there is an election, religious holiday etc etc.

• Like 1

By the letter of the law. The law sucks and hurts the people you are talking about financially everytime there is an election, religious holiday etc etc.

Let's not forget the not so attractive prostitutes and ladyboys who normally manage to get the drunken punter.

Edited by chooka

Right on. Yesterday I was riding my motorcycle down a back street in down town Chiang Mai, behind a temple of all places. And there was what I can only describe as a literal blackmarket of beer sales. I must have counted about 40 or 50 cartons of beer sitting there with a middle aged couple standing there selling it. Chang and Leo being sold by the bottle or box , right there on the side of the small soi in broad daylight. Quite funny to see.

No need to hide it away down back soi's. All the local Mom&Pop shops around my way would sell it to you in the normal way.

I just bought it from my local mom and pop shop. No one could give a monkeys.

It's the law? Excuse people if they don't have much respect for the law when people get away with killing police in front of several witnesses, or police officers are to be executed and the following day they are bailed because they are not seen to be a flight risk.

If the rich and powerful can flout absolutely serious crimes, then why can't the poor buy a beer on a so called religious holiday? Oh, yea. It's the law.

Set examples and then respect might be earned. Until then, stop trying to have your cake and eat it.

• Like 2

All religions are eveil the only thing they produce is stupid rulles like these regarding alcohol, Buddha himself smoked opium, drunk alcohol, smoke marihuana, so why the hell they are trying to impose these crazies bans?

I am shocked at all these postings! If I didn't know any better I would think that the LOS is the Hub of Hypocricywhistling.gif .

...isy, shaken not stirred...

I C your point. Waiting for the wooden ruler across the knuckles for that misspelling. Had a very tough 4th grade teacher.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1