Bus From Chaing Mai To Pai

oceanm5

Information I found on the web that is now a bit dated said that air conditioned buses from chiang mai to pai do not actually use air conditioning and the windows cannot be opened, making the ordinary bus a better option.

Is this still the case, or are there new air conditioned buses now in which the air conditioning actually works?

The schedule I saw online shows ordinary buses leaving at the top of every hour and aircon buses leaving 30 past the hour, throughout the afternoon. Is the case every day of the week, including weekends?

Thanks for the info.

Pai Wikitravel:

Buses and minibuses go to Chiang Mai (Arcade terminal) and Mae Hong Son. Regular public buses take around 4 hours and charge 75-150 baht; minibuses take around 3 hours and tickets (sold by travel agencies) cost about 150-180 baht. One strategy is to get to Pai using the public bus so that you can get an idea as to how winding the road is and then you can decide if you want to splash out and get the mini bus back to Chiang Mai.

To feel less travel sick and save some money take the regular public bus. The scenery is lovely and the winding roads are much easier on one's stomach if you take things slowly.

From Chiangmai: Local Bus from Chiang Mai to Pai leaves the Arcade Bus Station every hour from 6:30 to 17:30. The trip takes some 3 hours and there is a comfort stop at the small half way village of Mae Sae (very good Northern sausages and traditional chicken curry noodle soup available as well as other necessities food water toilets (B3 to use them, as at all bus stations in Thailand!) et cetera). Bus trip costs as at Jun 2012 B72.

Minibuses and Small passenger trucks (song taew) carrying a dozen people also leaves from the bus station as often as there are sufficient passengers or full paying passenger. (cost of private hire is approximately 1200 or share for approximately 150 Baht). The rear seats approximately 10 people and is open air. The view and wind in your face is pleasant, but not the occasional exhaust fumes.

Personally, I'd rent a bike, hit those corners and forego rubbing shoulders with the mob. Great fun!

Edited by jackr

There are hourly runs in the small mini buses (14 seaters?) from the bus station. those are best for a first time trip. cost around 150bt thats all, but its a 3hr trip.

they are air conned but my advice get there early enough to "bag" the front seats with the driver.

At the front you will not get car sick, you can see the danger ahead and you can tell the driver to chaa chaa when the people at the back are about to throw up!

There are hourly runs in the small mini buses (14 seaters?) from the bus station. those are best for a first time trip. cost around 150bt thats all, but its a 3hr trip.

they are air conned but my advice get there early enough to "bag" the front seats with the driver.

At the front you will not get car sick, you can see the danger ahead and you can tell the driver to chaa chaa when the people at the back are about to throw up!

Caught the mini bus to pai,about 18 seater , from CM Arcade Bus station many times. Never seen anyone sick and the drivers have been careful.150 baht correct.They stop half way where you can get a decent cup of coffee and clean toilets.Far better than the mini vans or the old, non air con, local buses