Korat Boy, 14, Dies After Crashing Into Parked Truck In Phuket

webfact

Korat Boy, 14, dies after crashing into parked truck in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 14-year-old boy from Nakhon Ratchasima died after crashing his motorbike into a large truck parked by the side of the road in Phuket yesterday afternoon.

Chalong Police at 2:15pm received a report of a crash near the Land & Houses residential estate on Chao Fa West Road in Chalong.

Arriving at the scene with Phuket Ruamjai Rescue Foundation workers, they found the body of Setthawut Nimnual beneath the back of an 18-wheel Isuzu tractor trailer rig. His wrecked Yamaha motorbike lay next to him.

Witnesses said they saw the driver of the rig park by the side of the road and go to a roadside sala, after which time the motorbike driven by the young Mr Setthawut crashed into the back of it at high speed.

Police said the boy's mind may have been wandering, causing him not to notice the truck.

Rescue workers at the scene said Mr Setthawat dies of massive head trauma; no crash helmet was found at the scene.

The body was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where it was claimed at 9:10am today by parents arriving from Nakhon Ratchasima.

Collisions with trucks parked along roadways are a significant contributor to Phuket's total annual road toll. A similar accident occurred in Thalang earlier this year.

The victims are typically teenage boys not wearing helmets.

The minimum legal age to operate a motorbike in Thailand is 15.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16590.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-04

R.I.P. same happend to an 18yr old kid going to see his new baby in Ban-Ta- Aee earlier this year, I really do not think helmets will protect a lot of them the way they ride, although you can live in hope I suppose

It amazes me how many people here run their bikes into parked vehicles at high speeds. I see at least one - two a week just driving around myself. They are not all serious accidents, but they smash into a parked vehicle nonetheless.

I have seen quite a few of these around Phuket & often wonder how they cannot see the vehicle but then you also see many riders looking at something on the side of the road instead of straight ahead.

When you are that age, you are bullet-proof (so you think).

I often see these kids open throttle, going way too fast, no helmets. Last week a pair on a bike going the opposite direction thought it funny to see how close they could get to me when speeding by.

RIP young guy, many condolences to family and friends.

I think that this is the incident that Snamos referred to in his recent thread, and prompted his commitment "never to ride a bike again".

It should be on every schools curriculum for pupils to have a guided tour of the head injury ward of Vachira hospital. Maybe then, teenagers, particularly male, will understand that there's nothing cool about not wearing a crash helmet, and it's decidedly uncool to be in a unairconditioned ward, oblivious through being in a coma, and a set of stitches that's reattached parts of their skull that even Frankenstein would be proud of. And they are the 'lucky' ones.

Edited by pagallim

I saw this accident it was horrific, although it looked more like a 40 year old man to me....maybe the 14 and 41 got switched around in translation. I actually wont ride a bike after seeing this...also I talked with my neighbour about the merits of buying a car

It amazes me how many people here run their bikes into parked vehicles at high speeds. I see at least one - two a week just driving around myself. They are not all serious accidents, but they smash into a parked vehicle nonetheless.

I know it's amazing how riding a bike really interferes with them talking on the phone.

• Like 1

I don't have a shred of sympathy for the parents of this child. As a matter of fact, if it can be proven that they were aware that their child was regularly using a motorcycle illegally, which is really endangering other people on the streets, they should be put in jail for a long long time. Even so-called adult Thais can't stop adoring themselves in the mirrors (when they're not popping pimples) or they're busy talking on their phones while riding, so what do they expect from a 14-year-old child? It's time to teach Thai parents that they must take some responsibility for their children by handing down long prison sentences in cases like this where it can be proven that the parents condoned such illegal activities.

• Like 1

I don't have a shred of sympathy for the parents of this child. As a matter of fact, if it can be proven that they were aware that their child was regularly using a motorcycle illegally, which is really endangering other people on the streets, they should be put in jail for a long long time. Even so-called adult Thais can't stop adoring themselves in the mirrors (when they're not popping pimples) or they're busy talking on their phones while riding, so what do they expect from a 14-year-old child? It's time to teach Thai parents that they must take some responsibility for their children by handing down long prison sentences in cases like this where it can be proven that the parents condoned such illegal activities.

Maybe you should grow a heart? And who wants to live in a country where you blame everyone but oneself? Apparently you do. You probably can figure out what I'd say next, as it's been said so many times before.

By the way, his parents weren't in Phuket, if you bothered to read the article which says: "The body was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where it was claimed at 9:10am today by parents arriving from Nakhon Ratchasima."

Maybe you should grow a heart? And who wants to live in a country where you blame everyone but oneself? Apparently you do. You probably can figure out what I'd say next, as it's been said so many times before.

By the way, his parents weren't in Phuket, if you bothered to read the article which says: "The body was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where it was claimed at 9:10am today by parents arriving from Nakhon Ratchasima."

I agree that my statement shows a lack of compassion (i.e. heartlessness) in this situation, but how can you say that my comment also shows that I never take responsibility for my own actions and point the finger at others when I'm to blame? There is no basis for that. And no, I can't figure what you'd say next.

You are absolving the parents of any blame or responsibility for their child's illegal action because they weren't around to provide supervision? Seriously? The kid is dangerously scooting around in Phuket when his parents are hundreds of miles away. That means they've either let the child go unsupervised to Phuket or have sent him to live with friends or relatives who are equally irresponsible. The bottom line is that his parents created him and therefore put themselves in a position where they need to give their child guidance and supervision. I realize that most Thai parents are extremely immature themselves and easily give in to their children's demands, but that is definitely not a valid excuse for irresponsibility.

I guess some could argue that it's really the fault of the Thai police because they never stop underage motorcycle drivers or do anything to discourage them driving motorcycles. Those of us who live here see underage motorcycle drivers every day in our travels. And those of us who work see them in great numbers during rush hour. However, the job of teaching what's right and wrong is mainly the responsibility of parents -- not policemen.

Edited by Wavefloater

I agree that my statement shows a lack of compassion (i.e. heartlessness) in this situation, but how can you say that my comment also shows that I never take responsibility for my own actions and point the finger at others when I'm to blame? There is no basis for that. And no, I can't figure what you'd say next.

You are absolving the parents of any blame or responsibility for their child's illegal action because they weren't around to provide supervision? Seriously? The kid is dangerously scooting around in Phuket when his parents are hundreds of miles away. That means they've either let the child go unsupervised to Phuket or have sent him to live with friends or relatives who are equally irresponsible. The bottom line is that his parents created him and therefore put themselves in a position where they need to give their child guidance and supervision. I realize that most Thai parents are extremely immature themselves and easily give in to their children's demands, but that is definitely not a valid excuse for irresponsibility.

I guess some could argue that it's really the fault of the Thai police because they never stop underage motorcycle drivers or do anything to discourage them driving motorcycles. Those of us who live here see underage motorcycle drivers every day in our travels. And those of us who work see them in great numbers during rush hour. However, the job of teaching what's right and wrong is mainly the responsibility of parents -- not policemen.

Basically I like the lack of so many liability laws and lawsuits here unlike where I came from. People suing McDonalds because they spilled their hot coffee in their lap, give me a break. How would his parents have control of what their kid does in Phuket? Why he was here as well as why he was riding a motorbike here would be speculation. He was responsible for his own actions. The police don't enforce any laws here unless there is a payoff of some kind involved. Why are there usually only checkpoints near the end of each month?

So because their son kills himself on a motorbike the parents should be punished further?

I am sure you were a teenager once. Did you do everything your parents told you? I know I sure didn't

So because their son kills himself on a motorbike the parents should be punished further?

I am sure you were a teenager once. Did you do everything your parents told you? I know I sure didn't

I guess I am saying the parents should be punished to send a message that it's time they took some responsibility for their children. We know that 1000's of Thai parents let their underage children ride around on motorcycles, and we often see them doing so in a careless and dangerous manner. As I said in my first post, these illegal (and mentally unprepared) motorcycle drivers are not only endangering themselves but potentially others. This is my reason for wanting to see parents punished who allow this illegal activity. But obviously it shouldn't get to the point where there has been a disaster before charges are brought against irresponsible parents. It's painfully obvious that the police should be stopping underage drivers when they see them, confiscating the bike, and visiting the parent to remedy the situation by giving substantial fines or laying charges against them.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there are not a lot more objections to my post in this thread. I fully expected many people to label me a heartless bastard. But apparently most readers do not object so strongly that they are moved to make a response. Perhaps it indicates that the majority of readers actually agree with my view. To me, letting these children kill themselves (and potentially others) by not doing something about the problem shows a lack of compassion. Parents shape their children's future values and behavior early in life, so it is ultimately their responsibility to make sure that their children don't do terribly stupid, dangerous, or illegal things.