Thai Drivers Driving Slowly & Lane Hogging On The Right Side (Outskirt Highway)

I asked my Thai friends about this and they were unaware that the right line is the"speed" lane and slower cars are suppose to be in the left. What they did told me is they were so proud that Thais are excellent drivers. They boasted that Americans had lead feet and were bad drivers. I were told Thais really know how to drive compared to others.

What a laugh.

I bet 99% of Thai's would fail the driving test in most European countries I went to get my motorbike license and watched the actual test they had to do it was a complete joke as was the bike test I had to do. They made me do the full test and had to sit in the class for 4 hours listening to the instructor in Thai most the time I had no idea what he was talking about but I still passed the test. What does that say about the whole thing.

In Thailand it is legal to overtake on the inside lane on dual carriageways, that's why.

and I'm sure its perfectly legal to drive on a dual carriageway in the fast lane at 80kph with no cars on the inside.

OH ya , like where they are going to turn right, or make a U-turn, they get into the fast lane a Fuc_king kilomet before doing so, with signal on, and slow to about 40 kilos MPH

As you drive past them you see they are chatting away on ther mobile phone and not giving a sh*t about anything but the phone.laugh.png

OH ya , like where they are going to turn right, or make a U-turn, they get into the fast lane a Fuc_king kilomet before doing so, with signal on, and slow to about 40 kilos MPH

Did you try getting into a u-turn lane in the province? If you are in the leftmost lane it becomes mission impossible as pickups zoom by on the two other lanes. So, yes, better get in the right lane quickly enough. 1 km sounds fine. Not sure about showing down to 40 though...^_^

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

The Thai traffic law states, that all cars should use the left lane, pass other cars on the 2nd or 3rd lane and move back to the left lane. The law is there, but as with all other laws in Thailand........hardly enforced.

However, I saw a letter from the highway police in our office, with a nice picture of one of our trucks, driving on the middle lane (out of 3). We were fined THB 1,000 for doing so.

On the other hand; you are allowed to pass other cars on their left side under circumstances. (slow moving and 3 or more lanes).

The Thai traffic law states, that all cars should use the left lane, pass other cars on the 2nd or 3rd lane and move back to the left lane. The law is there, but as with all other laws in Thailand........hardly enforced.

However, I saw a letter from the highway police in our office, with a nice picture of one of our trucks, driving on the middle lane (out of 3). We were fined THB 1,000 for doing so.

On the other hand; you are allowed to pass other cars on their left side under circumstances. (slow moving and 3 or more lanes).

I believe that is 2 or more lanes in the same direction

The left lane is normally with with 18 wheelers and the condition of the road is bad, so everybody drives on the right. No problem, just overtake on the left and go back to the right after that.

Thai Police flagged my wife down for driving slow in the fast lane, it was outside the city so it only cost 100 baht if I remember correctly.

So it is possible to get ticketed for that.

She'll be calling all the drivers zipping by her idiots. I'd like to mention that Hey! if you didn't drive slow in the fast line maybe there wouldn't be so many idiots on the road. But I just keep quiet, don't want to get her mad you know. I'd rather get the finger from a passing farang then get the dragon lady pissed.

They would have pulled her over for driving in the right lane, it doesn't matter what speed you are doing, 60 kph or 120 kph. The law is you must drive in the left lane unless you are overtaking another vehicle. This is a good way for the H P to get a bit extra in the can. I fitted a set of very bright DAY LIGHTS about a year ago and have found that 90% of the right hand lane hoggers now move over as i approach behind them without any other high beam flashing or anything else. they certainly work in my opinion.

when you go to european expat forums, you will find them plastered daily with complaints about the crazy european speeders... with complaints solely from americans...

when you compare thailand to the US, you will find the thai traffic F1-like...

Oh well border line road ragers, get over it, when in Rome as they say, and some of you be careful out there with your responses, a lot of Thais have guns in their cars.

Edited by Kwasaki

I hope there will be a new law that that states = Slow drivers who cruise merrily at the right lane without giving way, will be shot to death on sight.

Ok i am just joking a little. LOL...

A lot of the time its done because of the perceived potholes in the inner lane. Its a pain in the ass indeed. Thing is to stay far enough back and falsh full beam constantly until they get the message and as you're passing point impatiently to the inner lane to they get the message !!

Yes good point.

I hate the slow drivers on the right lanes, but I have to agree that the slow/left lanes are usually a lot more bumpy.

Kanchanaprisek rd near my office is the worst. You will fuc_k up your car in some places, HUGE holes in the road that have been there for years and only now starting to fix them.

is this the hate the thai thread or is it i am a great driver it is just everyone else is shit thread?

Well Generally this forum is full of people who hate Thai's. Sad but true, some people just are very narrow minded.

I guess talking about reckless driving and the safety threat they pose because of local circumstances (corruption, lack of proper driving education, etc) is being "narrow minded"? My driving teacher was Thai, but he never failed to point out the absurd behavior on the road of his co-nationals.

Without being thai-haters, I guess we should not fall in the reverse trap of finding everything (even the abnormal) perfect in Thailand.

is this the hate the thai thread or is it i am a great driver it is just everyone else is shit thread?

Well Generally this forum is full of people who hate Thai's. Sad but true, some people just are very narrow minded.

I guess talking about reckless driving and the safety threat they pose because of local circumstances (corruption, lack of proper driving education, etc) is being "narrow minded"? My driving teacher was Thai, but he never failed to point out the absurd behavior on the road of his co-nationals.

Without being thai-haters, I guess we should not fall in the reverse trap of finding everything (even the abnormal) perfect in Thailand.

Obviously was a troll post.

But there is also plenty out there.

A very sensible appraisal. Non-opinionated and to the point unlike other posters who do not approve of this unique approach. Thumbs up.

Thai's suffer through out and out lack of education which predictability of anything hazardous is just plainly ignored. Perfect example is watching them try and choose a lottery ticket. Its just not going to happen or not in the time warp they live in.

Just undertake them and have yourself a giggle looking in your door mirror at their faces as you do so. Oblivious wouldnt cut it..

I asked my Thai friends about this and they were unaware that the right line is the"speed" lane and slower cars are suppose to be in the left. What they did told me is they were so proud that Thais are excellent drivers. They boasted that Americans had lead feet and were bad drivers. I were told Thais really know how to drive compared to others.

What a laugh.

I bet 99% of Thai's would fail the driving test in most European countries I went to get my motorbike license and watched the actual test they had to do it was a complete joke as was the bike test I had to do. They made me do the full test and had to sit in the class for 4 hours listening to the instructor in Thai most the time I had no idea what he was talking about but I still passed the test. What does that say about the whole thing.

In Thailand it is legal to overtake on the inside lane on dual carriageways, that's why.

and I'm sure its perfectly legal to drive on a dual carriageway in the fast lane at 80kph with no cars on the inside.

nope i have had many a ticket for "staying to long in right lane" even when the left lane is like the surface of the moon

What a laugh.

nope i have had many a ticket for "staying to long in right lane" even when the left lane is like the surface of the moon

Obviously not familiar with sarcasm.