A Pm Who Avoids Controversial Issues

webfact

A PM who avoids controversial issues

Somroutai Sapsomboon,

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan

The Nation

But few in politics see Yingluck as the country's real leader

BANGKOK: -- Being a younger sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is seen as both a blessing and a curse. One benefit was that Yingluck became prime minister easily. But a negative is that nobody in politics believes she is the real PM.

Many doubted she would complete a year in office, which will occur on Wednesday - August 8

"It is amazing she could pass one year in her term very well, considering that she never had experience in the political field," red-shirt chairwoman Thida Thavornseth said.

pms.jpg

(click for large image)

Not all assessments have been glowing. Korn Chatikavanij, deputy leader of the Opposition Democrat Party, has dubbed Yingluck the "the invisible prime minister" for playing few roles of any note.

"I don't know why the premier doesn't have any role. But if she has no knowledge in various issues I agree that she distances herself from them," he said.

Korn said the best achievement of the PM was being like a brand ambassador for Thailand. "She is beautiful. Her smiles can remind that Thailand is the land of smiles."

Korn gave Yingluck a sarcastic 10 out of 10 points for her efforts over the past year. "She is exactly what I expected," he said.

It seems like Yingluck has not been involved in any controversy. She had not voiced any ideas on the constitutional amendment and reconciliation plans, a former Pheu Thai member said, on condition of anonymity. She never shared her thoughts - positive or negative - on controversial issues, he said.

Yingluck became premier and retains that power because of her brother. All political games in her camp have come from him. She had had to follow his line or she could create problems in the power play game, he said.

Chulalongkorn University academic Chantana Banpasirichote Wungaeo said Yingluck really had not shown leadership in many aspects although her image and appear ance were an advantage.

The PM had the potential to work with different groups of people, but that had not been seen publicly, she said.

Yingluck should exploit her soft manner as an influence to create change in society, Chantana said.

Thailand was at a crossroad and people wanted to see the direction of the country, said Chantana, who is in the political science faculty. To show leadership, Yingluck should show how politicians can work for the public interest, not just do things for their benefit, she said.

Television reporter Thapanee Ietsrichai said Yingluck really had leadership and was performing her role as the prime minister.

Yingluck had wisely chosen not to engage in controversial issues like constitutional amendment and reconciliation bills, she said. This helped the PM avoid politicking, so Yingluck could focus on running the country, Thapanee said.

Although Yingluck lacked political experiences, she has performed her job as government leader well. She was able to run the country amid intense political pressure, economic problems and the flood crisis. This was why confidence in Yingluck had grown, she said.

Supinya Klangnarong, a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission, said the PM's strength was avoiding political conflict. That had saved her from attack by the opposition.

Her weakness was speaking, as she often used wrong words. But that was good in that opponents often underestimated her. Perhaps, it was Pheu Thai strategy to keep Yingluck away from confrontation to save her. In fact, the prime minister was the flag-holder, Supinya said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-06

I wonder if these people commenting realize what backhands to the face their attempted compliments really are.

Most are devastating indictments of incompetence on the job, seemingly turned into plusses, but never actually doing so. 1 year on and it is still 'through the looking glass', or 'through a glass darkly'. Black is white, white is gray, and the observers have glaucoma and/or tunnel vision.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

I said it before and I'll say it again. The Pm is there because Thaskin cannot trust anyone else. His (Thaskin) boys cannot be trusted a 100% and Thaskin knows this. She is there to help her brother return without facing charges, to get the money he has stolen from the Thai people/country back, which she has a small stake in.

• Like 1

Ahhhh....Confucius say...the mere act of doing nothing is in

reality....doing something.

On that basis's how can she have a personal life she is so busy doing nothing in her political life.

O wait I forgot about mixing the two together in yo Photo Op's silly me