Buying New Specs In Thailand ?

daiwill60

I need to replace the variofocal transition progressive lenses in my specs soon. ie not Bifocals and with reactolite lenses.

I have been to many Opticians in Isaan and Bangkok , ( mainly Optical Charoen branches ) and I am geting ridiculous prices quoted of around 16,000 bht upwards, just to replace the lenses .

A friend of mine recently came over here before I moved here and told me new specs were cheap here, but I am getting prices quoted that are more than i would pay in the UK.

Does anyone out there have any experience of buying specs over here at reasonable prices. These are not standard reading specs or long range specs, so any sensible advice is welcome, Please.

Thanks Guys

I have given up buying here as indeed they are very expensive and total push for even more money with designer frames. Have had one week service from Zenni optical mail order (shipped from China). I use the thin progressive lens but would never buy the sun tint as just not dark enough in the heat of Thailand (they work fine in Europe but not here as do not tint much in high heat). Much better to have true sunglasses or clip-on.

My last order was US $107 with sunglasses and coating.

That's interesting Lopburi, is there any import duty to pay?

If you have your eyes tested in Thailand to get the prescription (usually free or included in the price when buying specs) how much do you normally pay?

I guess that specs are so expensive here because they have staff and overheads to pay when only selling a few pairs a week. Seems to me that there are waay roo many optitions in Thailand and most of them time when I walk past them, they have no customers.

Last time I went to Specsavers in Canterbury, UK, there were at least 50 other customer in there. Higher overheads in the UK, but many more customers and so able to sell cheaper than in Thailand.

Have not been charged customs on three orders I have made over the last several years but would not rule it out. But mailer is so small do not believe it gets much notice.

As for prescription do not know as under treatment for eye medical conditions so obtain from Hospital as part of that exam when required.

I paid 8,000bht for varifocals (progressive) glasses a couple of months back.

I didn't choose the most expensive frames.

Glasses aren't cheap here.

Thanks for the info guys.

Tommophysicist, where did you get them so cheap? I am being quoted 16,000 bht just for lenses.

It is really frustrating as I also have to pay for 2 lenses , and only have sight in one eye, but that would be the same in the UK too.

I do not trust eye tests in Thailand as they are so basc , one optician told me i did not need a new prescription when i knew damned well I did. others recommended a slight change, so had them tested in the UK in April as a precautionary measure, and got totally different result , but problem was I was there at Easter and the bank holiday meant i would not have enough time to pick them up before returning to LOS. So am stuck with having to bite the bullet and get them here, I am not going to change frames though and just go for the lenses replacement.

Tommophysicist, where did you get them so cheap? I am being quoted 16,000 bht just for lenses.

Bit far from you I think, I went to a proper opticians in ChiangMai.

But they had impressive computerized eye testing equipment.

Look at the 'tractor' while it tests your eyes and prints out the prescription.

Drive along MoonMuang, past ThaePae Gate, left at the SCB corner bank into Ratvhiti Road, about 100m on the right.

It was

6k for the lens, 2k for the frames.

post-152992-0-66899700-1344336582_thumb.

You might want to reconsider the frames.

They start to have problems after a couple of years.

Keeping the old frames is a false economy IMHO.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Bit far from you I think, I went to a proper opticians in ChiangMai.

But they had impressive computerized eye testing equipment.

Look at the 'tractor' while it tests your eyes and prints out the prescription.

Drive along MoonMuang, past ThaePae Gate, left at the SCB corner bank into Ratvhiti Road, about 100m on the right.

It was

6k for the lens, 2k for the frames.

post-152992-0-66899700-1344336582_thumb.

You might want to reconsider the frames.

They start to have problems after a couple of years.

Keeping the old frames is a false economy IMHO.

Thanks again for that.

Is this a national chain of opticians or a local independent? if national what is the name of the company?

I have some holiday coming up soon, so if not a chain may have to change my plans and have a first visit to Chiang Mai.

Just the one place, the guy that owns it is the optician.

He speaks very good English.

Soon Sai Dtaa Muan Chon is the name of the place. (I think Muan Chon is the guys name as 'soon sai dtaa' means 'centre for eyesight')

post-152992-0-12047200-1344339673_thumb.

Thanks once again

i need some new lenses put in some old frames du-point and chamant which are still perfect after 10-15yrs.old both are 22kpt.so i went into the mall in korat told them i was short sighted and wanted reactorlites i was quoted 3,000bht up.but what lopburi3 suggests about buying clip on sun glasses is spot on because i have had a pair on my ones i use for fishing and find they are perfect so thanks for the tip over to saveone market tonight 200bht.

I am very surprised that no responses have suggested anywhere cheap in or near Bangkok, which is where i live.

Although a trip to Chiang Mai would be a nice adventure so may well look into that.

My missus has suggested that the Wat Rhaiking Eye Hospital in Nakhon Pathom may aso sell glasses lenses, so will be looking into that this week .

(As for prescription do not know as under treatment for eye medical conditions so obtain from Hospital as part of that exam when required)

Lopburi are you saying that you are under treatment for an eye condition at a Thai hopsital, and that due to the fact they supply glasses for you , that you are unaware of your prescription. I only ask in reference to my comment above referring to the possibility of obtaining lenses/ glasses via hospitals rather than overpriced opticans.

I was saying if using such a doctor they can provide a prescription for mail order or obtaining from any source. I do not know cost of just obtaining prescription as do as part of normal check-up. Some hospitals indeed do have lens and frame sales (even believe Chula has) but in my experience nothing optical here is what I would consider inexpensive unless you can use the premade glasses from Lotus or drug stores.