Crime On Samui / Horton Murder Fallout

Jai Dee

CRIME / HORTON MURDER FALLOUT

Axe falls on Koh Samui police chief, two others

Surat Thani _ Three senior police officers on Koh Samui, including the island's police chief, have been transferred to inactive posts in the fallout from the rape and murder of 21-year-old Welsh student Katherine Horton. Pol Col Arkhom Saisamai, superintendent of Koh Samui police station, will now assist at Surat Thani police station; Pol Lt-Col Charoon Uchuparb, deputy superintendent for crime suppression, goes to Surat Thani's Phunphin station; and Pol Lt-Col Samai Prompakhon, crime suppression investigator, goes to the province's Wiang Sa station.

The order, signed yesterday by Police Region 8 commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Komol Huayhongthong, cited inefficiency in crime suppression as the reason.

However, a source said the transfer stemmed from the murder, which happened on the night of Jan 1, as Pol Col Arkhom reportedly failed to inspect the crime scene on the first day.

The body of the 21-year-old psychology student, who was in Thailand on a backpacking break with a female friend before her final university exams, was found floating in Lamai bay, Koh Samui, on Jan 2.

Two fishermen were arrested and on Wednesday sentenced to death for raping and murdering Ms Horton.

The source said Pol Col Arkhom, the Samui police chief, had worked on the island for more than 10 years, since he was a crime suppression inspector.

He reportedly runs a bungalow business, capitalising on the island's tourist boom.

Meanwhile, a Swedish woman yesterday lodged a complaint with Koh Samui police, saying she had been raped by two Thai men on Wednesday night.

The 40-year-old woman told police the rape occurred behind Wat Sila-ngu on Koh Samui. She could not remember the faces of the rapists. She was sent for a physical check-up at a local hospital to find any traces of rape.

According to police, the woman, her husband and their friends had been drinking at a restaurant on Koh Samui on Jan 18.

Her husband and six other friends left the restaurant around midnight for Coral Bungalows, where they were staying.

The woman and some friends stayed at the restaurant.

She later left alone and arrived at the bungalow about 1.40am. She told police the rape occurred about 1.30am.

Source: Bangkok Post - Friday January 20, 2006

Additional info:

New rape claim on Thai island

January 19, 2006

A Swedish woman told the police she had been raped early yesterday by two Thai men on the same island where a British woman was attacked and killed on New Year's Day. The 44-year-old Swede is on holiday on Koh Samui with her husband and children.

Lt Thiraphon Somsuwanchai said the woman had told the police she had left a karaoke bar alone to go to the beach when two Thai men had put a knife to her and taken turns raping her. Thiraphon added that a medical inspection had shown signs that she had been raped. The police were looking for the suspects.

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.php?fSec...ticleId=3072564

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Samui police chief suspended

Published on Jan 19 , 2006

The chief of Koh Samui police has been transferred to an inactive post for 180 days. The transfer order takes immediate effect Friday.

Pol Colonel Arkhom Saisamai has not been punished for the murder of Welsh tourist Katherine Horton on January 2, said his superior, Pol Lt General Kamol Huayhongthong, commander of the Police Bureau Region 8, to which Arkhom has been transferred.

"The colonel had served with the Koh Samui police force for a long time and I want him to assist me in the jurisdictional areas under the Region 8 Bureau," he added.

Kamol said he would decide after the end of the 180-day period what to do with Arkhom, depending on his performance during the period.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

QUOTE(sriracha john @ 2006-01-20 04:30:50)

New rape claim on Thai island

January 19, 2006

A Swedish woman told the police she had been raped early yesterday by two Thai men on the same island where a British woman was attacked and killed on New Year's Day. The 44-year-old Swede is on holiday on Koh Samui with her husband and children.

Lt Thiraphon Somsuwanchai said the woman had told the police she had left a karaoke bar alone to go to the beach when two Thai men had put a knife to her and taken turns raping her. Thiraphon added that a medical inspection had shown signs that she had been raped. The police were looking for the suspects.

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.php?fSec...ticleId=3072564

If true, this is the very last thing Samui & Thailand needs; you might question if the local publicity (about Katherine Horton) or even "word-of-mouth" on the island/villages didn't adapt to the brains of these rapists/animals/cowards. Sorry for the last words but I suppose they don't even have a brain at all. :o

Horrible :D:D:D

What the negative publicity for Thailand is concerned.....it certainly looks like "Murphy's Law" * is all over the country....bad Karma, very bad indeed

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_Law

LaoPo

This post has been edited by LaoPo: Today, 2006-01-20 06:41:47

there was a thread not so long ago, about the increasing crime and violence in thailand, and a lot of people came back with i 'still feel safer in thailand than say london , new york' or wherever this still may be the case but in light of recent bad publicity for all the wrong reasons, it is now time for the authorities to act not just for here and now but for the long term.

if no measures are taken can you see the situation improving by it's self.

as with most things in life it only takes a minority to spoil things for the majority, and it is only a few mindless acts like this that can have such a devastating effect on a truly wonderfull people.

You may find LOS is safer than other places, but all this negative publicity is going to affect the number of people coming. Its a nice thought Wes Turner, but the fearless leader has a reputation for a lot of hot air and very little actual effect, he was going to solve the problem in the south, eliminate corruption, make LOS drug free, solve poverty amongst others, and he hasn't made very much progress on any of those yet, he has however made himself and his family a lot lot richer :o

Edited by phuketsiam

The 40-year-old woman told police the rape occurred behind Wat Sila-ngu on Koh Samui. She could not remember the faces of the rapists. She was sent for a physical check-up at a local hospital to find any traces of rape.

I know this place. It has a lot of dark areas around. The beach is small and secluded. Extra horrible if it happened very close or maybe even on the ground of the Temple.

Never felt unsafe their, but as it shows feeling save and really being safe is not the same.

In Japan Times today, Jan 21, there was a very unfavourable article about Koh Samui. Titled "Paradise Lost in Thailand".

It went about the rapes, murders, corruption, uncontrolled development.

Sorry, JT site does not feature it, can't post the link, it was on the whole (large format) page.

I know this sounds crazy, but the only good thing to come out of this is that maybe now the Thai president will have no choice but to clean this place up once and for all.

A real clean up won't happen but possibly there will be a much-needed increase in tourist police presence. For al the tourist revenue coming in, it doesn't seem to be asking to much that there be a night security patrol on the more populous beaches...

But even best case scenario, this will only help foreigners & tourist industry. Let's not overlook the fact that rape and sexual assault are very prevalent in Thailand, with the overwhelming majority of victims Thai, and with little recourse or support from "law enforcement" and the courts.

It's probably hoping for too much, but it would be good if these incidents sparked some interest in addressing that issue (legal reforms, sensitization training for police & judges, development of rape centers to provide physical/psycvhological and forensic support, etc).. ..

But even best case scenario, this will only help foreigners & tourist industry. Let's not overlook the fact that rape and sexual assault are very prevalent in Thailand, with the overwhelming majority of victims Thai, and with little recourse or support from "law enforcement" and the courts.

It's probably hoping for too much, but it would be good if these incidents sparked some interest in addressing that issue (legal reforms, sensitization training for police & judges, development of rape centers to provide physical/psycvhological and forensic support, etc).. ..

Finally somebody else who understands that rape and coerced sexual favors is quite common in Thailand and gets little, if any attention. Apart from the all to common violent rape cases in the villages and smaller towns that often go unreported as there is a common perception that the men in brown will be of no avail at best, there has long been sexual harassment at the work place where keeping your job includes providing sexual favors to the boss or where outright rape of workers occurs.

One of my best friends who worked as a trek guide had a young daughter who got a factory job in Chiang Mai. She, along with other workers, was raped by her boss, became pregnant, and committed suicide in shame. Despite statements made by co-workers, the men in brown were unwilling to bring charges against the boss man.

And even in work places where sexual coercion is not practiced, it is not uncommon for a young woman to be asked to leave once she marries, as she now is perceived to "belong" to someone else.

So although I feel bad for the women and families of the tourists who suffer these crimes, it is but a mere footnote to a far more pervasive Thai problem.

One of my best friends who worked as a trek guide had a young daughter who got a factory job in Chiang Mai. She, along with other workers, was raped by her boss, became pregnant, and committed suicide in shame. Despite statements made by co-workers, the men in brown were unwilling to bring charges against the boss man.

Sad indeed. Money buys it all.

LaoPo

It's just getting worse and worse for Samui and LOS :D

I have not been to Samui for around 5 years now, used to spend a LOT of time there. Even back then it could be a scary place, but most of the time you had to "Go looking" for trouble. If you stayed as a vanilla 2 week tourist you were 99.9% certain of avoiding trouble (motorbike accidents excepted!). Things now seem to now be crossing over. Part of me is surprised it has taken so long to surface into daylight / the media.

One of the things that folk should remember is that it is an ISLAND, as someone who also comes from an Island! I know that this for the locals can breed a mentallity of being in your own world and it being YOUR world. This means good and bad things. (BTW in the case of Samuii I am not talking just about local born Samuii folk, but also (mainly?) Thais who live there).

Funnily enough the Missus is not keen to go to Samuii - the place has a perception amongst many Thais as "Mafia too much" (of course Mafia in Thailand does not always mean Cosa Nostra type organisations!! - more often than not "just" low level extortion and thuggery :o ). The attitude of the Missus was quite surprising given her background and the fact that in Bangkok she can more than "handle herself"..........but I guess it's a place she knows the rules and the players (but that is another topic!) :D

The worst thing about all these reportings is that people end up not going to Thailand thinking it's an unsafe place. I also feel far safer in Thailand than I do in any city in the UK. However, we do not have our crimes reported to any great degree. I would like to know, if the detail is available, how Thailand compares with places like the UK for crimes like murders, rapes, etc. I think it would be an interesting exercise.

The worst thing about all these reportings is that people end up not going to Thailand thinking it's an unsafe place. I also feel far safer in Thailand than I do in any city in the UK. However, we do not have our crimes reported to any great degree. I would like to know, if the detail is available, how Thailand compares with places like the UK for crimes like murders, rapes, etc. I think it would be an interesting exercise.

I have often read that the Murder rate in Thailand is on a par with the USA, but I do not have any sources I can provide to back this up. Apart from also hearing this from folk whose knowledege of Thailand I do fairly trust, my experiances (not directly!) do tend to back this up. Obvioulsy the NUMBERS are less than the USA!!

Rapes being as high if not higher than the UK would not surprise me in the slightest - but I do not have the time to go down a discussion of that!

Has always amazed me that the Tourists have never been a largescale target of crime / violent crime. But I guess that's why it is called "Amazing Thailand" :o I always feel safe in Thailand. Very aware, but safe. As a Tourist probably more likely to be Robbed, Raped or Murdered in Tenerife............or Torquay :D:D

BTW cheese and mayo sandwiches are NOT weird! :D:D:D

I have often read that the Murder rate in Thailand is on a par with the USA, but I do not have any sources I can provide to back this up. Apart from also hearing this from folk whose knowledege of Thailand I do fairly trust, my experiances (not directly!) do tend to back this up. Obvioulsy the NUMBERS are less than the USA!!

Rapes being as high if not higher than the UK would not surprise me in the slightest - but I do not have the time to go down a discussion of that!

Has always amazed me that the Tourists have never been a largescale target of crime / violent crime. But I guess that's why it is called "Amazing Thailand" :o I always feel safe in Thailand. Very aware, but safe. As a Tourist probably more likely to be Robbed, Raped or Murdered in Tenerife............or Torquay :D:D

BTW cheese and mayo sandwiches are NOT weird! :D:D:D

This gives an insight:

http://irawrites.com/Informationdatafolder...ercountries.htm

and:

http://accordionguy.blogware.com/blog/_arc.../3/1572119.html

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I guess those figures kinda disagree with those who say Thailands as safe/safer than western countries. Not to mention all the unincluded "suicides" for Thailands stat (but this happens everywhere in the world aswell) :o

@ a glance it looks like the murder rate will be at least 10x higher than the UK. :D

I read on a WHO website somewhere that Thailand has double the per capita murder rate of the US. However, I would suspect that statistically, a tourist is far safer here than in their own country. Out of the millions of tourists that visit this country every year, how many are actually murdered?

I read on a WHO website somewhere that Thailand has double the per capita murder rate of the US. However, I would suspect that statistically, a tourist is far safer here than in their own country. Out of the millions of tourists that visit this country every year, how many are actually murdered?

Statistically, perhaps double the number of murdered tourists out of the millions that visit the USA?

:o

Edited by sriracha john

It depends what you class as murder.. If cases such as being shot in the back 5 times and the police then finding a gun in the suicide victims hand are included then if would be fair to say, 12+ are Britons are murdered every year? Probably a lot more if you take Pattaya into account, im sure I could trawl throught the PCN website and find more than 12 "very questionable deaths" in this area alone.

If so..

60m (UK population) / 728 (number murdered in the UK) = 82400/1 chance of being murdered in the UK.

and

360k (Thailand visitors) / 12 (# Thailand murders) = 30000/1 chance of being murdered in Thailand.

Figures based on yr 2000 stats :o

Why compare Thailand with other countries based on murder.

In Thailand you have more problems with the local 'Bosses'.

If you start a business and make some profit you are a target, if you rent a house and have nice things you are a target, if you live in the sticks and have a disagreement with the neighbour, if you rent an appartment and find out you pay too much for your electricity bill, you buy something new in a shop and it breaks, You get sick and have a health insurance which doesn't cover you 100%, you unfortunately get in an accident and it is your fault because if you would not be there there would be no accident. And to quote 'yul brunner' etcetera etcetera etcetera.

All these examples are cases you have no defence against. Nobody is accountable. A tourist will never know about this. If you live here those will be your main concern. You have to keep a low profile, don't disturb your neighbours (even when they disturb you every day).

If you can 'mai pen rai' everything above then Thailand is suitable and you have truly intergrated. If you cant it will break you someday.

Myself i am halfway. I accept a lot, if it gets too much i move.

It depends what you class as murder.. If cases such as being shot in the back 5 times and the police then finding a gun in the suicide victims hand are included then if would be fair to say, 12+ are Britons are murdered every year? Probably a lot more if you take Pattaya into account, im sure I could trawl throught the PCN website and find more than 12 "very questionable deaths" in this area alone.

If so..

60m (UK population) / 728 (number murdered in the UK) = 82400/1 chance of being murdered in the UK.

and

360k (Thailand visitors) / 12 (# Thailand murders) = 30000/1 chance of being murdered in Thailand.

Figures based on yr 2000 stats :D

I forgot to add: Whats the average length of stay for these 360'000 tourists? About a 12th of a year probably? add that to the above calculations and its fookin shockin :o

The worst thing about all these reportings is that people end up not going to Thailand thinking it's an unsafe place. I also feel far safer in Thailand than I do in any city in the UK.

"Feel safer" being the operative words. Almost certainly an illusion. On the contrary, I'd say these reports are actually informing people about the reality that Thailand is a more dangerous place than they'd imagined.

Of course on any 2 week holiday the chances are you'll be OK. What are the chances of you being murdered in the UK in any 2 week period?

Nevertheless, even by official figures murder is way more prevalent here than in the UK. Firearms are also way more prevalent (no coincidence). On top of that there is almost certainly much better "recording" of murder in the UK. More than a few people just "disappearing" in Thailand as well as being killed by police.

As for rape in Thailand, especially in lower class society it is, as mentioned by some, completely endemic. Very few reports or prosecutions, many if not ignored completely will just be resolved by payment of "compensation" or even marriage! I get the impression for a suprisingly large proportion of Thai females, their first sexual experience is essentially "forced".

:o

Edited by charles

Finally somebody else who understands that rape and coerced sexual favors is quite common in Thailand and gets little, if any attention. Apart from the all to common violent rape cases in the villages and smaller towns that often go unreported as there is a common perception that the men in brown will be of no avail at best, there has long been sexual harassment at the work place where keeping your job includes providing sexual favors to the boss or where outright rape of workers occurs.

And even in work places where sexual coercion is not practiced, it is not uncommon for a young woman to be asked to leave once she marries, as she now is perceived to "belong" to someone else.

So although I feel bad for the women and families of the tourists who suffer these crimes, it is but a mere footnote to a far more pervasive Thai problem.

Yes, absolutely true. I agree with both of you.

Yes, absolutely true. I agree with both of you.

happens everywhere :o

Appeal filed against death penalty

Surat Thani _ The two fishermen convicted of murdering 21-year-old Welsh student Katherine Horton appealed their death penalty yesterday, citing the absence of eye witnesses. Prompatchara Namuang, lawyer for Bualoi Phothisit and Wichai Somkhaoyai, said the death sentence handed down by the Criminal Court against the two men was too harsh.

The appeal was justified because the evidence against them was circumstantial, relying solely on DNA found in semen taken from the victim, he said.

The findings supported the police theory that Horton was raped. Forensic experts found the DNA evidence matched blood samples taken from the fishermen.

In a 29-page document filed with the Appeals Court, Mr Prompatchara said the prosecution produced no eye witnesses to the rape during the trial.

Bualoi and Wichai had co-operated with police throughout the investigation and volunteered to provide blood samples for the DNA tests when it was their right under the law to refuse.

Mr Prompatchara said the men did not confess because of the overwhelming evidence, but rather out of a sense of remorse.

Wichai was born to a poor family and received no education, which could have impaired his ability to exercise self-restraint and judgment, he said.

The Appeal Court said a decision would be announced in due course.

Bualoi and Wichai are now being held in Nakhon Si Thammarat maximum security prison.

LAWYERS FOR TWO SUSPECTS IN THE MURDER CASE OF A BRITISH TOURISTS HAVE FILED APPEALED ASKING FOR REDUCED PENALTIES.

Appeals have been filed for the two fishermen sentenced to death for raping and killing a British tourist on Samui Island.

Appeals were filed yesterday for Mr. Wichai Somkhaoyai (วิชัย สมเขาใหญ่) and Bualoi Posit (บัวลอย โพธิ์สิทธิ์) who were sentenced to execution by the Surat Thani court on January 18th, under charges of raping and murdering British backpacker Katherine Elizabeth Horton on Samui Island.

The lawyers of the two men said the appeal came as the punishment was too severe and the two men should receive reduced penalties due to the lack of human witnesses of the crime. They argued that the court had used only DNA evidence in making its judgment, while the convicted men had confessed to all charges and provided corporation in every step.

The two men have been sent to the Nakhon Si Thammarat (นครศรีธรรมราช) special prison since January 19th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 January 2006