1155: First Friend Of What ?

cekipa

The 1155 is advertised all around as the tourist police phone number and it is even supposed to be “your first friend”. Thing is that ….. nobody will ever gonna answer cause the number is not in service. Is it “thainess” concept or just “amazing thailand” ?? and …. (sorry, haven’t finished yet), go to the following link http://www.phuket-to...s.com/join.html which gives the requirements for qualifying into the Police Auxiliary Program (basically, to forge the foreigner who will be tourist’s first friend). No wonder very few unpaid volunteers around, and ….yes, it is not a blurred vision but prices are indeed shown on the pic because uniform doesn’t even come free !

Well it does work. I used it last week. But in years past I have also had it appear out of service. Seems they haven't sorted that out. Perhaps they have to few lines.

Also, considering the paid police have to purchase their own kit too, I would expect volunteers would need to as well, especially foreign volunteers for whom ~2500B should not a huge expense.

I had cause to ring the Tourist Police some time ago in the late afternoon (a couple of years ago). A Thai answered and all he kept saying was 'Ring back in an hour'. Thereafter, the phone kept ringing out until I gave up on it at about 9 or 10 o'clock. Evidently there was a shortage in those days.

The part on the website where its says about optionally carrying your own handcuffs, spray, baton etc. In what cases can a foreigner use them in Thailand? What rights do they have? Can they actually make an arrest or even citizens arrest on a Thai person?

Just can't really imagine a foreigner spraying, batoning and cuffing a Thai man in Thailand. So when are they allowed to use these weapons?blink.png

Well it does work. I used it last week. But in years past I have also had it appear out of service. Seems they haven't sorted that out. Perhaps they have to few lines.

Also, considering the paid police have to purchase their own kit too, I would expect volunteers would need to as well, especially foreign volunteers for whom ~2500B should not a huge expense.

Well, 2 people have been trying consecutively for 15 days and no first or even fifteenth friend is picking up ! I guess you misdialled. And anyway, if trying again somebody is picking up, my dear first friend has long gone by then as a tourist in deep trouble has already called his days up …….

I really admire your positive thinking if you can give me only one reason why somebody with such requirements should put money from his pockets to deal with all that shit of drunken, pissed and troubled tourists with tuk tuk thugs in Soi Bangla. Yes, policemen pay for uniform but do not worry, they get it back meddling in other activities …. ()

Actually, uniform seems to be 3,080 baht and not what you said. And you know what ? I bet the price becomes more expensive once you apply for PAP since the web site is not updated ….. but for you probably I guess is peanuts anyway, right ?

In fair OP i doubt they would be any better help even they did answer the phone.

i went to see them once regards an issue and the guy didn't even do me the courtesy of removing his eyes from his computer sceen to acknowledge me.

Its a very fair assumption to make that tourist welfare is fairly low in importance...

In fair OP i doubt they would be any better help even they did answer the phone.

i went to see them once regards an issue and the guy didn't even do me the courtesy of removing his eyes from his computer sceen to acknowledge me.

Its a very fair assumption to make that tourist welfare is fairly low in importance...

Your experience does not surprises me at all. Think about it. The guy in front of the computer's screen had to put money out of his pockets for answering loads of questions and dealing with drunk, pissed and troubled fellows. This is what is nugging me !! Instead of being "your first friend", in his place I would rather prefer to be "your last enemy" ! There have to be other reasons for these volunteers to be there, do not you think ?

When I worked as a TPV in Phuket, the 1155 service was routed through to the TPV office on the bypass road, and clearly there were times when the office was unmanned or the operator did not speak English.

So (using my extensive techie knowledge), I suggested that the 1155 service be forwarded in after-hours via a 'press 1 for English, press 2 for French etc system which would forward the call to the mobile phone of which ever TPV was on duty, and forwarded/routed according to what language was required by the caller etc.

The software/hardware to perform the above was not complex for me to implement and I offered to pay for this system myself...

No - my offer was never accepted and the 1155 service continues to operate erratically.

@Paangjang, these types of questions are regularly asked on this forum :)

I'm no longer in Phuket but AFAI can recall:

'Arrest' is a formal action that requires a serving Thai police officer to perform, (not a Thai volunteer). 'Ctiziens arrest' is not an arrest as such, but is restraint of a person that can be performed by anyone, whether they are a TPV or not. So one could perform a citizens arrest to eg - restrain a thief or to restrain a drunkard who is fighting etc - and then they could be subject to a formal arrest by a serving Thai police officer.

A citizens arrest (by any person) could involve the use of items such as handcuffs, pepper spray or baton, if they are absolutely necessary to restrain the person in the specific circumstances. There needs to be some very clear guidelines about when their use is considered OK, (In3 years,I only used my handcuffs on one occasion and never used spray or baton).

Although a foreign TPV can perform a citizens arrest on a Thai national if the circumstances warrant it, you can understand that this needs to be a very careful decision on the part of the TPV. I have performed C.A. on Thais, but only where there were no Thai police or Thai volunteers present, and only where I considered that it was a 'safe' action for me to perform, (restrain of thieving ladyboy in Bangla Road etc).

Simon

• Like 1

When I worked as a TPV in Phuket, the 1155 service was routed through to the TPV office on the bypass road, and clearly there were times when the office was unmanned or the operator did not speak English.

So (using my extensive techie knowledge), I suggested that the 1155 service be forwarded in after-hours via a 'press 1 for English, press 2 for French etc system which would forward the call to the mobile phone of which ever TPV was on duty, and forwarded/routed according to what language was required by the caller etc.

The software/hardware to perform the above was not complex for me to implement and I offered to pay for this system myself...

No - my offer was never accepted and the 1155 service continues to operate erratically.

@Paangjang, these types of questions are regularly asked on this forum smile.png

'Arrest' is a formal action that requires a serving Thai police officer to perform, (not a Thai volunteer). 'Ctiziens arrest' is not an arrest as such, but is restraint of a person that can be performed by anyone, whether they are a TPV or not. So one could perform a citizens arrest to eg - restrain a thief or to restrain a drunkard who is fighting etc - and then they could be subject to a formal arrest by a serving Thai police officer.

A citizens arrest (by any person) could involve the use of items such as handcuffs, pepper spray or baton, if they are absolutely necessary to restrain the person in the specific circumstances. There needs to be some very clear guidelines about when their use is considered OK, (In3 years,I only used my handcuffs on one occasion and never used spray or baton).

Although a foreign TPV can perform a citizens arrest on a Thai national if the circumstances warrant it, you can understand that this needs to be a very careful decision on the part of the TPV. I have performed C.A. on Thais, but only where there were no Thai police or Thai volunteers present, and only where I considered that it was a 'safe' action for me to perform, (restrain of thieving ladyboy in Bangla Road etc).

Simon

Interesting that you gave a useful, bright idea willing to pay for it but nobody gave a sh**. I disagree with you about 1155 operating erratically: it seems to me it does not operate at all !

I know that the Immigration Volunteers have their own phone number and e-mail address which people can use to get immigration related information.

I used it a few times and this actually works great.

The phone is manned by English speaking people and they actually pick up the phone.

I also had an (useful) answers by e-mail within 24 Hrs.

So it is possible to setup a system for the tourist but somehow they can't do it for the TP.

Well, 2 people have been trying consecutively for 15 days and no first or even fifteenth friend is picking up ! I guess you misdialled. And anyway, if trying again somebody is picking up, my dear first friend has long gone by then as a tourist in deep trouble has already called his days up …….

I really admire your positive thinking if you can give me only one reason why somebody with such requirements should put money from his pockets to deal with all that shit of drunken, pissed and troubled tourists with tuk tuk thugs in Soi Bangla. Yes, policemen pay for uniform but do not worry, they get it back meddling in other activities …. (http://www.thaivisa....-to-meth-trade/)

Actually, uniform seems to be 3,080 baht and not what you said. And you know what ? I bet the price becomes more expensive once you apply for PAP since the web site is not updated ….. but for you probably I guess is peanuts anyway, right ?

So I "misdialled" and thus got through? Interesting theory.

Just so you know cekpa, "~" means "approximately." Hard to count mobile when you will likely have one of those already.

What is a PAP?

The part on the website where its says about optionally carrying your own handcuffs, spray, baton etc. In what cases can a foreigner use them in Thailand? What rights do they have? Can they actually make an arrest or even citizens arrest on a Thai person?

Just can't really imagine a foreigner spraying, batoning and cuffing a Thai man in Thailand. So when are they allowed to use these weapons?blink.png

First thing you need to get out of your head is the concept that foreigners have some lesser legal status than Thai's. At least on paper, the Thai constitution and laws protect all equally, the same as the laws in your home country. So the simple answer is those weapons can be used by foreigners the same as they can by Thai's; In self defense and when needed to overcome resistance when effecting a lawful citizens arrest.

@Paangjang, these types of questions are regularly asked on this forum smile.png

Simon

Thanks for that Simon. I concur with your summation of citizen's arrest laws in Thailand. I researched them some time ago and it turns out they mirror those in the states. In reference to the use of pepper or baton, the term there is "reasonable force to effect the arrest." That means the minimal about of force required to overcome resistance which will depend of the circumstances.

So I "misdialled" and thus got through? Interesting theory.

Just so you know cekpa, "~" means "approximately." Hard to count mobile when you will likely have one of those already.

What is a PAP?

PAP=Police Auxiliary Program;

Let's try this then: dial 1155 right now and tell me the name of the person answering your call;

2,500 baht + my mobile ?…. Humm, I wouldn't want to use my personal number: once you leave the job, you might still receive phone calls especially in the night