Has Anyone Ever Imported A Watch Into Thailand?

kurnell

You never know; sometimes it comes through without any charge, sometimes you have to pay a reasonable charge, sometimes they want the sun and the moon, in which case you're screwed.

Best advice: Get someone to (wear it and) bring it over, or store it until you can bring it over yourself.

This is assuming it's a somewhat valuable watch. If not then just let Amazon ship it and see if you can add 'GIFT - NO COMMERCIAL VALUE' somewhere under shipping instructions (so it would show on the box) and hope for the best.

Oh, and don't EVER ship ANYTHING with FedEx, UPS or DHL. Use regular Airmail or EMS.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I have probably imported at least 15 watches from ebay in the last 12 months. I've had to pay duty on two because the seller declared the full value of the watches on the customs sticker. The duty was 500baht on a $150 watch, which I didn't think was too bad. All the other watches came through without any duties because the sellers declared them as a gift or a used watch.

I have probably imported at least 15 watches from ebay in the last 12 months. I've had to pay duty on two because the seller declared the full value of the watches on the customs sticker. The duty was 500baht on a $150 watch, which I didn't think was too bad. All the other watches came through without any duties because the sellers declared them as a gift or a used watch.

I am thinking of buying an Omega on ebay worth approx $1,500, but $3,000 brand new. Assume duty could be up to 10,000 baht based on your figures

I try to translate in English... (i'm Thai)

if your watch cost 100,000 baht you will pay 5% for import tax it would be 5,000 baht + and 7% vat on top

so 105,000+7% = 7,350 baht so you pay for all tax is 12,350 baht

***if any false declare (claim price lower than reality)****

fine will be double

I try to translate in English... (i'm Thai)

if your watch cost 100,000 baht you will pay 5% for import tax it would be 5,000 baht + and 7% vat on top

so 105,000+7% = 7,350 baht so you pay for all tax is 12,350 baht

***if any false declare (claim price lower than reality)****

fine will be double

Perfect, thanks

• 1 month later...

When declaring as a gift or used watch was a value listed?

I know your question is specific about importing, thought I'd share a story. A friend of mine collects watches like Imelda did shoes. He is always going to Macau. He says Mainland Chinese pawn items of value there for cash to gamble away. I've seen the shoppes and there seems to be hundreds of them, I once picked up a lighter worth £500 for less than £100. Maybe a nice day trip, Air Asia is cheap and surely the 12K baht would pay for airfare and lunch. Didn't mean to distract your thread.

I know your question is specific about importing, thought I'd share a story. A friend of mine collects watches like Imelda did shoes. He is always going to Macau. He says Mainland Chinese pawn items of value there for cash to gamble away. I've seen the shoppes and there seems to be hundreds of them, I once picked up a lighter worth £500 for less than £100. Maybe a nice day trip, Air Asia is cheap and surely the 12K baht would pay for airfare and lunch. Didn't mean to distract your thread.

Sounds like a winner.

Just know that the "value" is determined by the duty officer and that doesn't guarantee it will be valued as written on any paperwork included. Just because you paid xx amount doesn't mean that is the valued worth. Sometimes the agent will be lazy and just add the customs form declared value + the shipping costs (yes they include shipping costs in the "value") and then calculate the duty owed based on that. Other times they will come up with their own "value" based on what I have no idea.

Your mileage may vary as to if your package is even pulled and if so how much duty is assessed on it. Marking it as a gift/used and with a low value seems to be helpful. Of course, if you are sending a $1500 watch through the post then you'd be silly to not pay for insurance and if you add insurance to the post then the insured value will need to be clearly declared and you would think that is what the customs agent will use. Again. no guarantees.

I can't even imagine an ebay seller shipping a $1500 watch and not insuring it (for their own safety) especially if sending to a country such as Thailand. The insured value will be declared on the shipping label and the shipping costs (including the insurance fee) will be added to the declared value when duty is assessed.

Edited by Jayman

Well I have a $1,300 watch on it's way via US post valued at $100 for customs purposes. Let's see what happens

Good luck with that. My fingers are crossed for you that it just goes through the system unnoticed Keep us posted when it arrives.

Well I have a $1,300 watch on it's way via US post valued at $100 for customs purposes. Let's see what happens

Good luck with that. My fingers are crossed for you that it just goes through the system unnoticed Keep us posted when it arrives.

I have a bit of a watch fetish at the moment so I will try again if it goes through

I have a bit of a watch fetish at the moment so I will try again if it goes through

You have a bit of protection if you buy a watch on ebay (where most of mine came from) with PayPal. If you never received the watch you can make a claim and usually be refunded. All the watches (I have a watch fetish as well) I have received in Thailand required a signature.

You have a bit of protection if you buy a watch on ebay (where most of mine came from) with PayPal. If you never received the watch you can make a claim and usually be refunded. All the watches (I have a watch fetish as well) I have received in Thailand required a signature.

I hope my fetish doesn't drain my bank account. I am bidding on another as we speak. For some reason, one watch will go for a bargain and another that seems to be identical apart from the colour sells at double the price++

Mate, how do they assess duty. My watch is at the post office now and they have asked me to come and open the box so that they can assess 5% duty. I assume it is based on new value?

Mate, how do they assess duty. My watch is at the post office now and they have asked me to come and open the box so that they can assess 5% duty. I assume it is based on new value?

They assessed mine because the seller stated the full value (for insurance puposes) on the customs declaration. The box was never opened. Theoretically a seller (sender) can say a $10,000 watch is worth $50 if you are prepared to take the risk. Is the watch waiting for you new or used? If it's new I suppose it's an easy matter for them to look up a list price in Thailand.

Edited by giddyup

They assessed mine because the seller stated the full value (for insurance puposes) on the customs declaration. The box was never opened. Theoretically a seller (sender) can say a $10,000 watch is worth $50 if you are prepared to take the risk. Is the watch waiting for you new or used? If it's new I suppose it's an easy matter for them to look up a list price in Thailand.

It is used

It is used

You probably won't know until you see the box whether the sender has declared any value for the watch. All the other watches I've received here have had some declared value. If the seller declares the watch is worth $50 I don't think customs bothers to open the box to verify it's worth. At least they never did with me. the best thing a sender can do if you want to take a chance is to declare it as "watch parts" or "broken watch".

You probably won't know until you see the box whether the sender has declared any value for the watch. All the other watches I've received here have had some declared value. If the seller declares the watch is worth $50 I don't think customs bothers to open the box to verify it's worth. At least they never did with me. the best thing a sender can do if you want to take a chance is to declare it as "watch parts" or "broken watch".

Seller labelled the package "Omega". Not idea if it has a value

The thought of a $1500 watch sat in the local post office somehow fills me with fear.

Think i would be shipping that via one of the big couriers, fully insured.

Watches = Air Asia to Penang. Duty free it there fly back. One of the cheapest places in asia to buy watches.

And return flight probably cost u less than shipping from usa and customs/vat.

The thought of a $1500 watch sat in the local post office somehow fills me with fear.

Think i would be shipping that via one of the big couriers, fully insured.

Watches = Air Asia to Penang. Duty free it there fly back. One of the cheapest places in asia to buy watches.

And return flight probably cost u less than shipping from usa and customs/vat.

The watch was used.

Thai customs have now changed their story and said that the package was opened during a "random" inspection. They won't give the costs for tax over the phone, and they want to discuss this with me in person. Assume I will be negotiating for their lunch for the next 3 months.

Thai customs have now changed their story and said that the package was opened during a "random" inspection. They won't give the costs for tax over the phone, and they want to discuss this with me in person. Assume I will be negotiating for their lunch for the next 3 months.

Let us know the outcome.

Let us know the outcome.

Outcome is they will try to get as much as they can. I will send the watch back and ask for it to be sent to a friend in Singapore if they try to get more than a few thousand baht. Initially they said that they wanted me to come to the customs dept to watch them open the package so they could assess tax. When I asked how they knew the package contained an Omega they said they opened it during a random inspection. I actually thought that they had to wait until I arrived before they could opejn the package??? This is what we do with containerized freight.

Right, so I went to the PO to collect the watch, unwrapped it on front of the chappy, he asked me how much I paid for it...wanted to see a receipt, he calculated the duty and VAT at approx 12%, job done. He was not interested in ripping me off, bribes or the new value of the watch. All in all, I got the watch at much less than half the price of a new one.

Right, so I went to the PO to collect the watch, unwrapped it on front of the chappy, he asked me how much I paid for it...wanted to see a receipt, he calculated the duty and VAT at approx 12%, job done. He was not interested in ripping me off, bribes or the new value of the watch. All in all, I got the watch at much less than half the price of a new one.

Glad to hear it worked out well. Just as a matter of interest, what model Omega was it? I'm always a bit wary of buying the big name brands like Omega, Rolex, Panerai etc. on Ebay. Too many fakes out there.

Edited by giddyup

Glad to hear it worked out well. Just as a matter of interest, what model Omega was it? I'm always a bit wary of buying the big name brands like Omega, Rolex, Panerai etc. on Ebay. Too many fakes out there.

Speedmaster 3513. It is not a common model and I don't think their are copies aout there. Off to buy another watch!