Motorbike Accident Koh Samui

Hi gals/guys,

I wanted to know the procedure on lawsuit against hotel or motorbike hiring company?

I am a student from england london, and now i am in koh samui, my girlfriend and I hired a motorcycle from the hotel, i can drive it and my gf assured me she could and she can... Though we had a slight problem... We asked the manager of the hotel if it was ok to hire and drive on the gravel... So my gf fell off the bike... And she got a bit hurt but nothing major... Will probably cure in the next couple of weeks... However today they asked me to pay for repairs on the bike.... And i know that the bike had marks and was not in that good of a condition at first when we took it... They are asking for 800baht and say they are giving me discount... The woman is saying that we damaged it... All i want to know is how to counter this... I am not paying for something that was already broken... Any law procedure i can take against this?

Lou

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ditched their bike. I think that B800 is a great price, that will only replace one panel. You have already had one accident, don't go looking for another. Pay the bill and smile whilst saying "Thank you".

• Like 2

You rent then you pay.Its up to you to find out what laws.You are responsible and 800 baht is cheap.Did you take pictures before you drive the bike?you say it have some marks already?did you right it down in the contract?did you tell the place you rent from?

Pay and be happy they dont charge you more.Lawsuite?biggrin.png Stop looking to much Tv ,you are in Thailand,pay the 800 and enjoy the rest of your holiday

• Like 1

The bike was old... At least a few years and had damage... I will pay the hiring fee... But 800 is steep for a 2 minute ride?

Can any laws prevent the payment... Im entirely sure the damage was already there and that they are just trying to rip us off...

The bike was old... At least a few years and had damage... I will pay the hiring fee... But 800 is steep for a 2 minute ride?

Can any laws prevent the payment... Im entirely sure the damage was already there and that they are just trying to rip us off...

Laws. Let's cut this one short. No. I don't mean to be short about this one, but if you read through this site (save yourself the bother if this is just a holiday) you will discover that some of the brightest and boldest people have lost their cases with the backing of decent legal teams. It is difficult to explain with-out superlatives so I ask the standard long-term members to hold their horses in tearing me apart as this is for the good of the OP. The courts here will find for the side of an foreigner SO rarely it is ludicrous.

Now the "not laws" part. This is the part you REALLY need to listen to. If you like walking and breathing a great deal then B800 might be the cheapest price you will ever pay. Seriously, don't mess. There are numerous threads on here detailing unexplained suicides in this country. Just the other day a man "seemingly" stabbed himself to death. Have you thought about the likelyhood of this? Another man managed to behead himself and hang himself off one of Bangkok's most important bridges.

B800. As I have said, pay and say "Thank you". You have 3 500+ posters here recommending the same solution. You came for advice, you got it. If you don't like it then do what you will. Just read a few of the news threads on here first.

• Like 1

Are you saying they will try and do something to me?

I have many people i know in thailand! At least 20 close friends.. And grandad lives across the border is an influential busisness man who might be able to help... He has been in many situations like this... I dont believe the thai people would do such a thing?

As I said, not all people in Thailand are like this, but is it really worth it for B800?

Right, I'm off this one. Thought I was helping. You are intent, don't really know why you bothered. Good night and good luck.

I have many people i know in thailand! At least 20 close friends.. And grandad lives across the border is an influential busisness man who might be able to help... He has been in many situations like this... I dont believe the thai people would do such a thing?

Troll alert coffee1.gif

• Like 1

If you have no actual evidential proof of prior damage you do not have a leg (or two wheels) to stand on. 800 Baht is less than £20 !! And you did crash the bike between you.

Pay up and put it down to experience. And next time take photos before you use the bike or whatever.

As an aside, regarding your girlfriend. If she has cuts, please make sure she gets them tended to well as infection can happen and can take hold here pretty quickly.

Antibiotics, dressing etc, be diligent.

Really 100% please listen to this advice..i had a severe infection from a large scrape/cut, which took hold in no time at all, landed me in hospital on four antibiotic drips a day, had to have the wound debrided so my damn foot wouldnt need to be cut off, and finally weeks later, a skin graft done. Im NOT exaggerating!

• Like 2

Yeah, influential buisiness man is going to get involved for 800 baht. Please don't say you are British.

• Like 1

I'd suggest going to the courts over this blatant rip-off. You start by making a formal complaint to the police, and hire a lawyer.

Until the case gets settled your passport will be confiscated, and you will have to stay in-country.

These procedures are fairly uncomplicated. Over the next couple of years you will have to occasionally show up at one hearing or another with your lawyer (and translator if you are not fluent in Thai). In the meantime you are free to enjoy the beach life.

I wonder if anyone has used this ploy as a Visa dodge?

A way of staying in the Kingdom without doing the Visa runs?

Just asking like ... not suggesting like!