Riding Scooter From Central Bkk To Kanchanaburi

Sydneycraig

Thanks... Three pagoda pass worth the trip? Why come back to bkk before hua hin?

Sorry, the ride to Three Pagoda was well worth it but the pass itself was disappointing though there was a great little market at the border. I went in March when the Burmese were burning so that did not help.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a good helmet. Gloves and a decent protective mesh jacket.

Some may say over the top for a scooter. But hey 90kmh is the same scooter or big bike.

Any long distance. Wear protection.

http://mocyc.com/sto...assified=684134

This company is in China town Bkk. Decent stuff at a low cost.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

i disagree.

especially when you hit a crosswind or get buffeted by passing trucks.

and you dont have the headroom to hit the throttle and get out of the way if needed.

i did bkk/kan years back on a 2 stroke nsr 150r, and it was exhausting.

i recall one point on the road at about 110 where a powerline crossed the highway and there were on trees just a wind corridor. the bike crossed one lane of traffic of its own volition. if something had been steaming up that lane behind me, or i had been in the center lane, i would have been roadkill.

scared the crap out of me.

but, as they say,up to you

id whack the bike onto a train if i had to have it or just rent something there personally.

We got the plates in 2 weeks. The scooter is in my wifes name not sure what she needed. There are plenty of motorcycle shops aroung there prices are basically the same. I wish you the best of luck sorry but i will not be trying that kind of trip. Just going down Ratchadapisek is an adventure.

Great to hear about the 2 weeks. I am staying two weeks in Bangkok before I will go south. I have been thinking of taking the train out of Bangkok, due to traffic and pollution sick.gif Anyway, when out of Bangkok I plan on taking the small roads, should be more fun and interesting and not as dangerous.

@ Sydneycraig:

How long time do you plan your trip to take?

Not too many small roads heading south only the main highway. There are afew detours you cab take but you will end up back on the highway again.

Some may say over the top for a scooter. But hey 90kmh is the same scooter or big bike.

i disagree.

and you dont have the headroom to hit the throttle and get out of the way if needed.

i recall one point on the road at about 110 where a powerline crossed the highway and there were on trees just a wind corridor. the bike crossed one lane of traffic of its own volition. if something had been steaming up that lane behind me, or i had been in the center lane, i would have been roadkill.

id whack the bike onto a train if i had to have it or just rent something there personally.

I'm confused. You disagree that wearing protection on a long run. Series of long runs is a bad idea? Or You disagree that 90kmh is the same speed on a small bike or big bike?

My point was wear protection.

We got the plates in 2 weeks. The scooter is in my wifes name not sure what she needed. There are plenty of motorcycle shops aroung there prices are basically the same. I wish you the best of luck sorry but i will not be trying that kind of trip. Just going down Ratchadapisek is an adventure.

Great to hear about the 2 weeks. I am staying two weeks in Bangkok before I will go south. I have been thinking of taking the train out of Bangkok, due to traffic and pollution sick.gif Anyway, when out of Bangkok I plan on taking the small roads, should be more fun and interesting and not as dangerous.

@ Sydneycraig:

How long time do you plan your trip to take?

Not too many small roads heading south only the main highway. There are afew detours you cab take but you will end up back on the highway again.

Actually you can cut a big chunk out from the 35 at samut songkran over to cha am / hua Hin and then you can run parallel on many occasions. You need to check out google maps for towns and waypoints.

Actually you can cut a big chunk out from the 35 at samut songkran over to cha am / hua Hin and then you can run parallel on many occasions. You need to check out google maps for towns and waypoints.

I don't know what Sydneycraig will do, but I plan to rely heavy on a GPS and Google Maps to find all possible alternative road like this. As far as I can see on Google Maps, it should be possible to find small roads (smaller than the one at Cha Am / Hua Hin) other places along the coast.

i disagree.

Not to mention the tires on a scooter are significantly smaller than motorcycle. Some of these scooters have tires similar to that of a bicycle. While that may not be a problem on perfectly paved and clean roads, it becomes a huge problem when you encounter rocks and potholes. Not to mention you cannot control your balance the same way you can on motorcycle and as mentioned wind along with grooves in a road can cause serious issues for a scooter driver that would barely be noticed on a motorcycle.

• Like 1

i disagree.

I'm confused. You disagree that wearing protection on a long run. Series of long runs is a bad idea? Or You disagree that 90kmh is the same speed on a small bike or big bike?

My point was wear protection.

sorry misread it.

I've done many such trips on my Neuvo.

1) BKK --> Hua Hin --> Cha Am --> Ratchaburi --> Kanchanburi --> Bangkok

2) BKK --> Bang Saen / Pattaya (many times)

3) BKK --> Korat --> Phi Mai --> BKK

4) BKK --> Chom Bung, Ratchaburi (many times)

It's not hard. Stick to the rules. Stay to the left. Stay on the frontage roads.

I hope you will have a great trip! I am planning a similar trip: 90 days going south from Bangkok to Phuket and visiting Koh Hkun Seng, Samui, and whereever else I feel like on the way, taking it very easy. smile.png

Did you buy the scooter in Bangkok? I need to find a dealer in Bangkok for a new Honda Click or similar, and I need to get in contact with them by e-mail before going to Thailand (to sort out what papers I need etc.). Does anyone know a dealer with a website in English? I have only been able to locate one using Google (hondasumetcycle), and they are in no hurry to answer e-mails.

Not answering e-mails? What do you expect in the LOS, Land of Stupidity?

I have only been able to locate one using Google (hondasumetcycle), and they are in no hurry to answer e-mails.

Not answering e-mails? What do you expect in the LOS, Land of Stupidity?

This one has a farang owner. I used the form on the website, and apparently they never got the mail. The owner is a member here and after sending him a PM, I got the answers I needed.

Went straight to rachinaburi... And straight out again. Nothing of interest there!! Petchaburi seems nicer with a few temples including one up on the hill via cable car...lots of monkeys kicking around all over town! Road from ratchathani to petchaburi full of big lorries and it was pouring down do not the best

The kings palace in phetuburi is worth a look. Up on the hill past the gazillion monkeys....can ride/walk or get a little funicular railway up Went on 4 from ratchaburi to petchaburi as was wet and getting late. Now in hua hin and took the back roads most of the way...apparently some nice beaches on this stretch down to chumpon

The kings palace in phetuburi is worth a look.

Do you mean Petchaburi?

How far have you gotten, and did you seen other interesting things, that I simply have to see as well? I can hardly wait to get started.

currently in samui...but thinking its not for me and i may well keep on going south.

the trip is around 1000kms according to google above, but i did around 1800kms with various detours and exploring.

bangkok to kanchanaburi was mostly on the 346 main highway. (its motorway toll roads you are not allowed on, right?!)

kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi was all on the backroads - just start off on the right direction and keep going and use the sun (or google maps) to keep you on track.

Ratchanaburi looked pretty dodgy town so got on the highway and blasted down in the rain to phetchaburi. This is where the kings old palace is on the hill. you cant miss it, but you can miss the "cable car" as its a funicular railway...so you wont see the cable cars dangling above the trees like i was looking for. you can ride up most of the way on the opposite side of the hill. tons of monkeys in this town...

you can then use either the 4 highway or coastal roads all the way down the coast.

i went mostly on backroads with the occasional blasts along the highway 4. Ban kroot/good (seemed to have lots of names - nearest thing i can see on google maps is Thong Chai) is a nice stopover point. there is also a big temple up on the headland hill here thats quite cool. there is a lot of right by the sea roads down the coast from here too and plenty of nice views. a nataional park and a military base to also pass thru..

id recommend finding a place to stay at least an hour before it gets dark...i went to a couple of beaches i was thinking to stay at and they were dumps/deserted and not somewhere i would want to stay so headed back to the highway and down to the next town which was the same...ended up on the highway 4 in the dark which isnt a good place to be. went 30 mins or so before i found a hotel on the highway.

roads generall really good. drivers generally really good (samui seems much more dangerous to me)

overall id say that nowhere was a destination in itself on the trip but most of the way was a nice ride. sure i missed out loads of things but thats what you get when you leave the guidebook at home and have little idea of where you are heading! next time id take a guidebook...

Great, thanks for the tips (keep them coming) and for the map. I plan on using Google Maps and a GPS in order not to get lost.

I will take a detour to the west coast in order to visit one or two of the islands near Ranong before going to Samui.

You say that you don't like Samui. Have you been to Lamai? I find Lamai to be a nice little holiday town, very relaxed. Unfortunately I will be there at the worst possible time weather wise. Up to 500 mm rain in November, sigh.

yes, currently in lamai...its ok, but a bit like a mini patong really.

gps/iphone mounted on the handlebars would be very useful. kept stopping to get the iphone out of pocket or off the dash and unlock it. the iphone tho is so useful with the maps and being able to easily see where you are and which way you are pointing...you feel quite lost when the battery goes tho!

keep a poncho or 2 at hand and some plastic bags if any of your luggage isnt waterproof.

only real thing id change is to get a lonely planet or the like - i was guessing where to go and whilst it pretty much worked out and i got to see some cool places i also wasted a fair bit of time riding to, and thru some pretty dodgy areas with nothing there but looks from the locals as to say '<deleted> are you doing out here'. There is quite a lot of nothingness south of chumpon but still nice enough to ride thru.

its all pretty easy and relatively safe really (no drunk expats/tourists on this route).

As I said its a lot less dangerous than riding alongside stupid/drunk/inexperienced riders in the tourist hotspots. But thanks for the positive outlook...

I wish you all the best of luck but simply think you are doing something foolish based on the parts of this thread I have scanned. But maybe I will change my mind ... what is the brand and model of scooter you will be riding? I've rode motorcycles all my life but am not that familiar with scooters but know that some have some real power. However, I still have not come across one that (not that I have looked hard) that would appear to be safe for such a trip. Even a motorcycle is going to cause great fatigue on such a ride but on a scooter it just seems like almost everything from weather to balance to handling to the vehicles ability to handle the trip is against you. But again, would be interested in looking up more about the bike you'll be using as I may be very out of touch with the reality of some of these bikes and would like to see myself proved wrong.

Regardless, I didn't man to come off in a negative way regarding your trip and wish you a very fun and safe trip. I guess as I get older the scales tip much more to safety than risk taking even in a situation like this where you will have memories and stories to tell the rest of your life ... if you survive the trip (sorry the older guy inside me cannot help but add Nervous Nellie comments).

... what is the brand and model of scooter you will be riding?

It doesn't really matter that much. He is not riding all the way in one day but in a few weeks.

I will go on a similar trip, some 1,200 km in all, but over the course of something like 40 days. That is an average of 30 km a day. Even the smallest scooter can handle that - heck, even a bicycle will do.