Has 'Ajarn' Died?

Loaded

I remember a few heated exchanges between myself and the member 'ajarn' but he was one of the characters of the board from a few years ago. His avatar was a photo of himself and I think he called himself Larry. Can anyone confirm?

CityLife just reported this:

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?fbcomment=1&id=609&fb_comment_id=fbc_10151027965402974_22955457_10151070736802974#fc01b363a54e28

His website:

http://asiarecipe.com/Larry.html

Sad if true.

RIP Larry

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad.png !

I had some 'handbags' with him on the forum, but I remember him as a great guy in person. I also always had the feeling that some of his forum outbursts were medicine-related, so never really held it against him.

He was active on Thai forums and the soc.culture.thai Usenet newsgroup for as long as I can remember.

Rest in Peace, Ajarn.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yeah, he sure was an old timer, huh ? I always appreciated his input... at times dour or crotchety, but I knew he wasn't always in the best way. His knowledge of the city and how to get things done here always shined through when he offered it. I'll kind of miss having him around. One of those nutty TV characters - he could bug you, but you couldn't help but enjoy knowing he was there. Alot like old Blinky Bill in that sense. Still getting used to him not being around.

May they both be resting in peace.

Very interesting to read his reasons for self-deliverance. Not being able to talk so that others can understand or walk even short distances would be very difficult to deal with.RIP

Yes, and yet you still get those spouting the 'suicide is the ultimate sin' claptrap as evidenced by comments on Citylife. People say this stuff out of habit, never considering a person's situation; that 'nothing' could be a whole lot better than torture. The gouging landlord: not untypical and typically un-Buddhist... wouldn't it be something if the lady fills in the pool and returns the yard to its former state before the contract is up!

He could be hard-going, but Ajarn helped me out with some solid info early on. wai.gif

Very sad news. Ajarn was one of the first posters I communicated with when I was considering Chiangmai and provided a little information on living with a disability here. Some of his posts were forthright to say the least but basically he seemed a good man with problems. I can understand his choice but it is not one I could take myself.

Better luck net time round.

RIP Ajarn, your forum input will be missed.

I never , knowingly, met Ajarn, but can definitely feel for the stress he must have been under. Many years in CM, but not yet an old man. Its always sad to read or hear about a situation like this.

Feel two ways about the way he departed...... half of me feels an understanding for the weight he must have had on his shoulders re his lifes conditions..... the other half sez , while it may be ok for him, I don't know ,if under the same circumstances I could take that road out.... Hope I never have to make that choice.

RIP Ajarn and may you now have happy trails....

G

Rest in Peace, Larry.

You provided a lot of help with good information when I first started considering moving to Chiang Mai. You were also the first to donate when we started collecting money for the Wat Pa Pao cat sanctuary. A fine man, you will be missed by more people than you ever thought.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

I knew him relatively well starting in about 1994. Back then he had a green Yamaha 750-cc motorcycle that was heavy and powerful enough to get him around -- because he was a very large guy of 300 pounds or so. He was always out and about the town. Because he spoke such good Thai, he even worked as a manager at John's Place for a time.

He was very active on the old soc.culture.thai newsgroup, where he was also known as Ajarn. He took the name because he was an enthusiastic and committed teacher of English. For a time he worked at CMU, I know, then later moved to the far south of Thailand for a teaching gig.

I didn't see him again until about 2004, when I went to visit him at the house in Sansai that is mentioned on his website. It was clear he had a stroke or something and had difficulty walking (due to his size, it seemed mostly) and talking. He said, though, that he loved it in Thailand and had a good housekeeper who helped care for him.

It seems to me he went out in a considerate and dignified way. My hat's off to him for the very honest note on his website.

RIP Larry

• Like 1

It is a little peculiar. If you look at the Citylife article comments, there are some worrying comments by Larry's sister. I've seen those kinds of reactions before by friends and family far away, so wouldn't think too much of it. However it is a little peculiar that his 'website' (as linked in the Citylife article and in the OP) points to a page that is not linked from any other place on the site, and is (therefore) not found by Google either. So the only way the page can be found and accessed is if someone supplies a direct link. The rest of the site almost looks like a time capsule to the beginnings of the internet and it doesn't look like it's been updated. This makes the claim of 'a million hits per month' also a strange one.

My link came from the CityLife article. However, I imagine they found that page because they Googled "Larry Wheeler Chiang Mai". If they were writing a story about the death, it would not be surprising if they Googled for background information.

It is a little peculiar. If you look at the Citylife article comments, there are some worrying comments by Larry's sister. I've seen those kinds of reactions before by friends and family far away, so wouldn't think too much of it. However it is a little peculiar that his 'website' (as linked in the Citylife article and in the OP) points to a page that is not linked from any other place on the site, and is (therefore) not found by Google either. So the only way the page can be found and accessed is if someone supplies a direct link. The rest of the site almost looks like a time capsule to the beginnings of the internet and it doesn't look like it's been updated. This makes the claim of 'a million hits per month' also a strange one.

My link came from the CityLife article. However, I imagine they found that page because they Googled "Larry Wheeler Chiang Mai". If they were writing a story about the death, it would not be surprising if they Googled for background information.

Indeed. However that particular page does not come up in a Google search, because it isn't linked to from anywhere. Pim can likely confirm, but it looks like the page link was supplied to them after the original article was published. [ Of course the page is linked now (from Citylife and from here) so there's a good chance it will show up in search engines soon. But try it, currently there is no way to get to that page from a search. ]

As an aside, the Citylife article (prior to the correction later) created a wildly inaccurate impression of a person travelling to Thailand with 5 million baht to have a lot of fun with ladies and then go out with a bang. It's anyone's guess how that impression was created; could be the people supplying information to the police, the police themselves, or the Citylife reporter.

Note: I realize this kind of discussion is upsetting for any relatives visiting this topic. Judging from the Citylife comments however, his sister is already very upset and seems to be looking for more information herself.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

In reading the webpage [ http://asiarecipe.com/Larry.html ] one can readily conclude that a professor of English would not have written a page with so many grammar errors. Sentence structure, punctuation, spelling and more are so inconsistent with good grammar and logical thinking.

A few sentences and phrases here and there read well, but most appears to be cobbled together. In my opinion the page has been tampered with.

• Like 1

R.I.P, just read the website, go with gods speed, I feel you did what you wanted, just hope i have the balls when the time comes to do the same thing as I know there are problems around the corner.............