Thai Govt Looks To Its Record To Save It From Censure

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Govt looks to its record to save it from censure

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- As the political situation heats up again with the Parliament session opening this week, the Yingluck Shinawatra government has three major tasks to deal with.

First, the House of Representatives debate on the second and third readings of the 2013 budget bill, scheduled for August 15-17. Second, the government will present its one-year performance record to Parliament. The address is expected to take place in the last week of this month.

And third, a censure debate is expected to be filed by the opposition Democrat Party at the end of August or in early September.

Apart from targeting Yingluck's administration, the opposition party will try to take aim at the prime minister's brother Thaksin in the no-confidence motion.

Although the opposition did not make clear which topics or ministers would be grilled, they have been able to shake the government already.

The opposition party has a reputation for keen rhetoric and greater experience in censure debate, and perhaps this is what rouses concern among the government members.

The only goal for the fugitive ex-prime minister for now is that his sister's government stays until the end of its term.

To achieve that ambition, the government has to improve its performance. But according to surveys, the public has ambivalent feelings about its record so far.

By contrast, the government itself considers that several of its policies have worked well. For example, the drug crackdown, increasing the minimum wage and other salaries, and price management of agricultural crops.

"Even though we took a long time to handle the flood crisis last year, we still have a performance record," said a minister who asked not to be named.

This was in accordance with the Abac poll last Sunday. Fifty-two per cent of respondents believed it was not appropriate to hold a censure debate now because the government was still performing well. A debate would bring about only political turmoil and hurt Parliament, leading Thais to have a more negative attitude towards politics.

The government, which will complete a year in office on August 23, hopes the one-year statement will help boost its popularity.

Apart from addressing its performance before Parliament, it will also be speaking to the public. It is not certain yet just what the statement's formula will be. Some have suggested the prime minister should hold the event at Government House or, if she wants to avoid questions from media, she should speak through her weekly television programme.

The PM's secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva is in charge of handling the content and presentation of the two events and their preparation is complete.

An organiser has been hired to take care of the presentation, a Pheu Thai key man said.

However, the government has not set a date to talk to the public, wanting to know the exact time of the censure debate first.

"We want to show our performance to the public near the [time for] the opposition's debate so we can use our performance to distract [attention from the] debate," the source said.

PM's Office Minister Nivatthamrong Boonsongpaisal said the censure debate would provide a chance for the government to promote its record to the public.

It seems that Yingluck is likely to escape the censure debate by relying on her majority support in the House as well as the Pheu Thai MPs who will protect her from attack.

And one thing is certain: Thaksin will never let his sister be cornered. As for the Democrats, if they fail to score a knockout punch on the PM, they could help to boost her strength and popularity.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-09

The approval rating of the Yingluck puppet government is fading fast, I dont think they would survive another election, in this format, if they loose a censure debate.

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

"Even though we took a long time to handle the flood crisis last year, we still have a performance record," said a minister who asked not to be named.

*A* performance record, i agree... *A good* performance record, i wholeheartedly disagree...

It seems that Yingluck is likely to escape the censure debate by relying on her majority support in the House as well as the Pheu Thai MPs who will protect her from attack.

You can run, but you cannot hide... forever.

You might think that a government proud of its performance would be clamouring to proclaim "This is what we have achieved in our first year in office!" The lack of enthusiasm reflects the poor performance.

Moreover, the preparation of a presentation withheld until needed to distract from accurate criticism shows an attitude a long way from pride.

Edited by OzMick

Unfortunately a review of the government's performance, after its first year in power, would involve comparing the election-winning 'pre-election promises' with the actual outcome delivered, which is perhaps best avoided. wink.png

Time to redirect attention, a few demonstrations on-the-streets should do it, cue the Red-Shirt mobocracy ? ermm.gif

"The PM's secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva is in charge of handling the content and presentation of the two events and their preparation is complete."

So it's going to be another stellar show of leadership by the PF (Prime Figurehead), read (badly) a script someone else wrote for her and bolt for the door.

They have done a fantastic job if you are a rich farmer, miller, or other rice dealer middleman. How can they justify the drain on the treasure of Thailand to benefit such a small number of people.

Edited by moe666

Let's look at the facts and try to keep emotions out (haha):

A short list of accomplished election promises:

passed anti-money laundering bill (that the Dems sat on for 2 years)

ended Cambodia-Thailand border war (that the Dems couldn't solve)

implemented 300 baht minimum wage (not agree with but they did what they promised)

reduced corporate tax from 30% to 20%

rice mortgage scheme (don't agree with but they did do as promised)

$15k min wage for government workers with degree (don't agree with but did do)

tax cuts for buyers of first homes and first cars

monthly welfare allowance for elderly citizens (more can be done on this one)

successful anti-drug campaign (this is ongoing and you can never proclaim victory)

I am not a PT supporter but in actual fact they have done a bit in the last year. Unfortunately the headlines was about the flood and TS.

Let's look at the facts and try to keep emotions out (haha):

A short list of accomplished election promises:

passed anti-money laundering bill (that the Dems sat on for 2 years)

ended Cambodia-Thailand border war (that the Dems couldn't solve)

implemented 300 baht minimum wage (not agree with but they did what they promised)

reduced corporate tax from 30% to 20%

rice mortgage scheme (don't agree with but they did do as promised)

$15k min wage for government workers with degree (don't agree with but did do)

tax cuts for buyers of first homes and first cars

monthly welfare allowance for elderly citizens (more can be done on this one)

successful anti-drug campaign (this is ongoing and you can never proclaim victory)

I am not a PT supporter but in actual fact they have done a bit in the last year. Unfortunately the headlines was about the flood and TS.

I won't query the facts in your post as I have no means of verifying them.

However, I must repeat a point I made in another topic - this was all achieved under the 2007 Constitution which the ruling party seem obsessed with changing.

Are you aware of any policies which are prevented from being implemented due to the existing Constitution?

The impressive list is what Thailand voted for - should the ruling party continue to implement their policies which they believe will benefit Thailand?

Apart from it's origins, there doesn't seem to be much reason for Charter change

I don't get it. How will they lose any vote on the debate if their mps just vote the way they should?

Whilst a nice idea, what us the point of these censure debates. Surely the same can be achieved by going through the media and pointing out the governments failures?

A few reasons which come to mind and I probably forget lots of others biggrin.png

- parliamentary process

- immunity while in function in parliament versus draconian Thai defamation laws

- (mostly) three days of fun on TV (aka television) and many more on TV (aka TV forum)

I don't get it. How will they lose any vote on the debate if their mps just vote the way they should?

Whilst a nice idea, what us the point of these censure debates. Surely the same can be achieved by going through the media and pointing out the governments failures?

A few reasons which come to mind and I probably forget lots of others biggrin.png

- parliamentary process

- immunity while in function in parliament versus draconian Thai defamation laws

- (mostly) three days of fun on TV (aka television) and many more on TV (aka TV forum)

Well that's the point, they get to doing mud at each other for a few days, a few people pay attention, the news papers put their spin on what was discussed, the mps vote and, zero changes.

Why does a politician need to wait to get into parliament to point out the failings of the other side?

- parliamentary process

Well that's the point, they get to doing mud at each other for a few days, a few people pay attention, the news papers put their spin on what was discussed, the mps vote and, zero changes.

Why does a politician need to wait to get into parliament to point out the failings of the other side?

No offence meant here. Read the topic on

It has lots of nonsense and a few titbits on what an MP may not say outside parliamentary functions in Thailand

- parliamentary process

It has lots of nonsense and a few titbits on what an MP may not say outside parliamentary functions in Thailand

So you think they are going to spend the censure debate going on about the constitution court verdict? Why do they need a censure debate to do that?

The censure debate is specifically for the opposition to try to hold the government to account on their record.

They are free to talk largely about anything anytime inside parliament. I was asking what us the specific point in a censure debate, no one ever loses one, the point scoring is minimal, and nothing changes.

What odds yingluck gets a flat tyre on the way? I just don't see the point of it and what it actually achieves.

- parliamentary process

http://www.thaivisa....r-intimidation/

So you think they are going to spend the censure debate going on about the constitution court verdict? Why do they need a censure debate to do that?

The censure debate is specifically for the opposition to try to hold the government to account on their record.

They are free to talk largely about anything anytime inside parliament. I was asking what us the specific point in a censure debate, no one ever loses one, the point scoring is minimal, and nothing changes.

What odds yingluck gets a flat tyre on the way? I just don't see the point of it and what it actually achieves.

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. Nothing to do with CC. Pointing to a previous topic I only wanted to put emphasize to posts in that topic on what MPs can say and cannot say outside parliament or when not clearly in a parliamentary function/activity.

MP's cannot talk free and largely in parliament unless it's on the topic under discussion. Even then they can be 'reigned in' as we've seen happening recently. It's only in a no-confidence debate that various subjects can be discussed and even then time limits have been agreed upon beforehand.

The 'no-confidence' debate is a parliamentary right which most politicians only dislike when used against them, independent of being succesful or not.

Some thing wrong here. They are looking at there record to save them.

Don't they realize there record is the problem.

Nothing wrong with a censure debate. It can bring things into the open.

Be interesting to hear there version of the handling of the flood when the cabinet was more concerned with bringing Thaksin back. Like to hear their justification for letting him partake of their meeting by phone. Just about destroy the rice export business. Fail to attract business to Thailand promise big money minimum wages for Thailand and then implement it in the 7 highest paying provinces. Can hardly see what the work force size will be after they have implemented it in all the provinces. Just the staff loss in 7 11s will be huge. Small rice farmers struggling to make ends meet get hit with big labor costs.

Not to mention all the work they were going to do to prevent floods. (yes they did do some) but have no plan on the upkeep of the drainage canals. As fot the 15,000 baht to a collage graduate I don't know if that has been done yet. I doubt it or we would be hearing from the ones doing the work for years at a lower wage. Credit cards to taxi drivers. Now they already are getting defaults on the payments. Failure to prosecute people for treason or what ever they were calling their actions in 2010.

And the facts are that even though they have faied misarbly the public knows it but they wil walk away no recriminations no remorse.

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. Nothing to do with CC. Pointing to a previous topic I only wanted to put emphasize to posts in that topic on what MPs can say and cannot say outside parliament or when not clearly in a parliamentary function/activity.

MP's cannot talk free and largely in parliament unless it's on the topic under discussion. Even then they can be 'reigned in' as we've seen happening recently. It's only in a no-confidence debate that various subjects can be discussed and even then time limits have been agreed upon beforehand.

The 'no-confidence' debate is a parliamentary right which most politicians only dislike when used against them, independent of being succesful or not.

No I get your point, but I really don't see how this type of debate becomes some kind of winner takes all discussion according to the media. If the Dems don't land a knockout punch and this type of language.

What do they think? That all of a sudden half the PTP MP's are going to have an epiphany and vote for the opposition. In fact, the people who will benefit the most out of this are potentially turncoat MP's on the government side demanding a kick back to guarantee their vote. Obviously conflicting debate is an anathema to Thai politics so it has to become some kind of circus. I hope Abhisit is in training, should make for good viewing. What odds it ends with tons of paper being thrown around again?

At least during this censure debate we will hear some very embarrassing secret, we may see some fighting, chair stealing and the odd kung <deleted> kick. So settle down with your ear medication and stay tuned..........