Foreigner Owning A Vehicle Here

Update..................

Downloaded application for proof of residence, sat and filled in two, then off I trot to Kanchanaburi immigration safe in the knowledge that my chosen motorbike would soon be mine.

I was right to assume that all would not go to plan.

The same lady was on duty......

Sawasdee Krap says I ...I have filled in these forms so that I can take to my local Honda garage and buy my motorcycle, and also use one to get a motorcycle license, I have one for my car, but better to get motorcycle too.

We dont do these anymore Mr .... came the reply, I told you already you have to go to amphur with house owner and get letter.

I smiled but thought to myself ..... Shall I tell her that all the dealer will accept is an immigration letter.

I bid her good day in my best Thai, and left thinking ...... I feel like Wiley Coyote must feel when he tries so hard to catch Road Runner and no matter how hard he tries it always eludes him.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.... does anyone know a good place for a hair transplant, I seem to have pulled all mine outw00t.gif

What Honda dealer did you go to that only wanted the Immigration letter?

I got my bike from the Honda dealer right in the middle of town between TMB and the large pizza restsurant. They will accept a letter from your local amphur.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Update..................

Downloaded application for proof of residence, sat and filled in two, then off I trot to Kanchanaburi immigration safe in the knowledge that my chosen motorbike would soon be mine.

Sawasdee Krap says I ...I have filled in these forms so that I can take to my local Honda garage and buy my motorcycle, and also use one to get a motorcycle license, I have one for my car, but better to get motorcycle too.

We dont do these anymore Mr .... came the reply, I told you already you have to go to amphur with house owner and get letter.

I smiled but thought to myself ..... Shall I tell her that all the dealer will accept is an immigration letter.

I bid her good day in my best Thai, and left thinking ...... I feel like Wiley Coyote must feel when he tries so hard to catch Road Runner and no matter how hard he tries it always eludes him.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.... does anyone know a good place for a hair transplant, I seem to have pulled all mine outw00t.gif

I got my bike from the Honda dealer right in the middle of town between TMB and the large pizza restsurant. They will accept a letter from your local amphur.

Update..................

I will have a look at that one.

I went to the one near to the by the next set of lights going out of town near AEON bank

Its a standard letter called a 'residence certificate' (nothing to do with PR). Need copies of passport TM card etc + copy of lease agreement where you live or letters addressed to you. They should ask what you want the letter for, driving license or purchase of vehicle. Theoretically free but may cost up to 500 baht. They could want to visit you at your residence to confirm you live there. Assume Kanchanburi Immigration is where you do your extensions and 90 day reports.

They need your official address to go in the Green book of the m/c.

Edit ..Hope you get different officer next time.

Good info.

Sounds like a simple communication mix up - the dealer didn't specifically refer to it as a Certificate of Residence and the immigration officer didn't realise that was what was being asked for.

If the OP doesn't have one already it might be worth getting 2 certs if he needs to apply for a driving licence as well.

Unfortunately the dealer will take the original copy with photo attachment. I had the dealer make me a copy just in case I needed it for something in the NEXT 30 days. That's the shelf live of a " letter of residency".

I thought the "certificate of residency" was valid as long as your visa or last extension is valid? Can some of the moderators and visa experts confirm that its only valid for a month?

Sounds like a simple communication mix up - the dealer didn't specifically refer to it as a Certificate of Residence and the immigration officer didn't realise that was what was being asked for.

If the OP doesn't have one already it might be worth getting 2 certs if he needs to apply for a driving licence as well.

Unfortunately the dealer will take the original copy with photo attachment. I had the dealer make me a copy just in case I needed it for something in the NEXT 30 days. That's the shelf live of a " letter of residency".

I thought the "certificate of residency" was valid as long as your visa or last extension is valid? Can some of the moderators and visa experts confirm that its only valid for a month?

Yes, 1 month (without calling myself an expert).