Foreigner Owning A Vehicle Here

I am hoping that someone can help me with this.

Having recently finished a relationship, I am trying to buy a new motorcycle that I want to be in my name.

I have been here in Thailand now for 6 years and currently have a retirement extension to my "O" visa.

It would appear that this is not as straightforward as you would think.

I went to my local Honda dealership and chose my bike, I presented my passport, together with a signed contract in my name for the house that I rent, and even took an envelope from the UK embassy addressed to me at my rented address.

Not good enough it seems, I was told that I needed a letter from my local immigration (Kanchanaburi) stating that I live where I do.

I went the next day and awaited my turn, only to be be curtly told no we do not do a letter for that.

I returned to the dealer, and explained the situation, they would not sell me the bike without this letter.

Has anyone experienced the same, or maybe I have picked the wrong officer on a bad day.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Its a standard letter called a 'residence certificate' (nothing to do with PR). Need copies of passport TM card etc + copy of lease agreement where you live or letters addressed to you. They should ask what you want the letter for, driving license or purchase of vehicle. Theoretically free but may cost up to 500 baht. They could want to visit you at your residence to confirm you live there. Assume Kanchanburi Immigration is where you do your extensions and 90 day reports.

They need your official address to go in the Green book of the m/c.

Edit ..Hope you get different officer next time.

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

Its a standard letter called a 'residence certificate' (nothing to do with PR). Need copies of passport TM card etc + copy of lease agreement where you live or letters addressed to you. They should ask what you want the letter for, driving license or purchase of vehicle. Theoretically free but may cost up to 500 baht. They could want to visit you at your residence to confirm you live there. Assume Kanchanburi Immigration is where you do your extensions and 90 day reports.

They need your official address to go in the Green book of the m/c.

don't

Don't forget 2 passport photos and yes, 500 bht. Standard operating procedure.

Sounds like a simple communication mix up - the dealer didn't specifically refer to it as a Certificate of Residence and the immigration officer didn't realise that was what was being asked for.

If the OP doesn't have one already it might be worth getting 2 certs if he needs to apply for a driving licence as well.

• Like 1

It sounds as if those of us who bought a 'bike a few years ago (I bought mine about 5 years ago) had it easy.

As others are agreeing that a letter from Immigration is needed, presumably the rules have changed?

Sounds like a simple communication mix up - the dealer didn't specifically refer to it as a Certificate of Residence and the immigration officer didn't realise that was what was being asked for.

If the OP doesn't have one already it might be worth getting 2 certs if he needs to apply for a driving licence as well.

Unfortunately the dealer will take the original copy with photo attachment. I had the dealer make me a copy just in case I needed it for something in the NEXT 30 days. That's the shelf live of a " letter of residency".

As it so happens I've just recently been making inquiries at several motorcycle dealerships around Maha Sarakham / Khon Kaen (so not in the sticks) on behalf of someone who has a valid passport but invalid visa. My findings were as follows : If you have a valid passport most dealers will pretend to have seen the rest of the correct paperwork / pre-lose it if you pay 100% in cash.

Edited by Trembly

Go to another dealer they are talking out of their ar*e

Problem is not the dealer, its immigration, should he go back a tell them they are talking out their ar*ses ?

Sorry yes too many things am doing at the same time here hahha

I might add just a couple of things. Current location is Chiang Mai. Each imm office is different. I was able to take delivery of my bike 3 weeks ago without the letter and other docs that the dealer needed. I paid cash at this time. They said come back with the docs so we can process the " book". Regarded the official " letter of residency application form", not sure one excist as they had me fill out a "re entry form" which was given to me at chiang Mai imm. Took 2 minutes to scratch my name and force feed my lengthy address into the small lines provide on the form. Paid 500 and receive nice letter with red goverment stamp and passport photo attached. Straight to the dealer, all good - book in about 3 months.

You may not want to spend the extra money but,

I bought my vehicles by obtaining that letter from my embassy.

Cost a lot more yes, but I did not want to deal with immigration.

Yes, you can get letter from Embassy, but if you are British forget about owning a motorcycle...

It will cost you an arm and a leg for the letter. rolleyes.gif

I think you may be right.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Yes, you can get letter from Embassy, but if you are British forget about owning a motorcycle...

It will cost you an arm and a leg for the letter. rolleyes.gif

Depends on your nationality. smile.png

I got a letter from the local amphoe which enabled me to register a bike in my name, but that was a Non B and work permit, so might be different.

Which was a letter you didnt need, your WP suffices in situtations like this

Can you d it by mail.

Here in Chiang Mai we do not have a Embassy it is in Bangkok. I am a U S citizen.

Can you d it by mail.

Here in Chiang Mai we do not have a Embassy it is in Bangkok. I am a U S citizen.

Sorry about that I misspoke .

I in fact got mine in Chiang Mai

I forget at times & call all Consulates.. Embassies

But I did in fact get mine at the US Consulate Chiang Mai

You just need to make an appointment go in & swear you live where you claim.

I made the appointment the day before online.

Took all of 5 minutes to get the form from them.

Cost was $100 USD for two so I imagine 15-1600 baht for one.

I wanted to be sure as I needed one for drivers License & one for car purchase.

I was told they do not take copies at the dealer nor the DMV so bought two.

Later I did ask the car dealer if he could just make a copy & let me keep the original but he confirmed that he

needed an original.

Sorry about the confusion

Edited by mania

Just like anywhere in the world they need to know where to register the motorcycle

If you have a Thai ID card that is good

if you have a work permit that is good

if you have a house book (Yellow for non Thai) that is good

Or a letter from Immagration. But why anyone would pay through the nose for a leter from their Embassy is beyond me

It sounds as if those of us who bought a 'bike a few years ago (I bought mine about 5 years ago) had it easy.

As others are agreeing that a letter from Immigration is needed, presumably the rules have changed?

No, same as it has always been. Proof of address is required, can be tambien baan, letter from immigration or letter from embassy or a workpermit can also be used.

Just like anywhere in the world they need to know where to register the motorcycle

If you have a Thai ID card that is good

if you have a work permit that is good

if you have a house book (Yellow for non Thai) that is good

Or a letter from Immagration. But why anyone would pay through the nose for a leter from their Embassy is beyond me

Thai ID card alone is not sufficient, proof of address is required (will for a Thai normally be tambien baan).

I used my yellow house book, 30 day visa on arrival, and cash, registration book and licence plate arrived by EMS 3 weeks later.

All this was done last year.

Apologies as this is not strictly relative to the thread but did you get your yellow house book only having a 30 day visa on arrival (or was it visa waiver?) and if so where as I was refused at Pattaya?

Thanks

Update..................

Downloaded application for proof of residence, sat and filled in two, then off I trot to Kanchanaburi immigration safe in the knowledge that my chosen motorbike would soon be mine.

I was right to assume that all would not go to plan.

The same lady was on duty......

Sawasdee Krap says I ...I have filled in these forms so that I can take to my local Honda garage and buy my motorcycle, and also use one to get a motorcycle license, I have one for my car, but better to get motorcycle too.

We dont do these anymore Mr .... came the reply, I told you already you have to go to amphur with house owner and get letter.

I smiled but thought to myself ..... Shall I tell her that all the dealer will accept is an immigration letter.

I bid her good day in my best Thai, and left thinking ...... I feel like Wiley Coyote must feel when he tries so hard to catch Road Runner and no matter how hard he tries it always eludes him.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.... does anyone know a good place for a hair transplant, I seem to have pulled all mine outw00t.gif

If you obtain the FREE "Yellow House Book", then you no longer will need to pay $50 to the US Embassy or consulate each and every time you need to prove where you live. I've heard of some, but not all, Thailand immigration offices will grant you for 500 baht the certificate of residence you wish to buy, AND THEN TO REGISTER, a motor vehicle or to obtain each driver's license. The effort you put into obtaining a free Yellow House book will save you significant fees, significant travel to and from a distant office just to pay for a piece of paper. The Yellow House book is NOT difficult to obtain, you do NOT need to own where you LIVE, and it can take as little as two days for your first Yellow House book. When I moved from one house to a different house it was a "one day" process to obtain a new free Yellow House book. It also made obtaining a permit to build, new electrical meter service and new water meter service in my name simple and fast since I had a yellow house book, even though the yellow house book was for a different address than the new utilities were to be connected. Different Land Transportation offices have different requirements on what papers you need, but they ALL accept a yellow house book as proof of where you live.