Actor Kowit'S Daugther Killed In Bangkok Road Accident

webfact

ACCIDENT

Actor's daughter killed in road accident

30187970-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The youngest daughter of a well-known actor sustained fatal injuries when her Mercedes Benz plunged from an elevated overpass in Bangkok Thursday morning. She died in hospital while her friend was killed instantly.

Matawee Wattanakul, 21, passed away at the Paolo Memorial Phaholyothin Hospital after suffering brain injuries, a fractured skull and lung damage.

Also killed in the accident was Jakpong Jarernphon, 22.

They were returning from a revision session arranged by their classmates when the accident took place. The exam is scheduled to take place Friday.

The victims were fourthyear students of the Kasetsart University's Faculty of Humanities.

Mathawee's father, actor Kowit Wattanakul could not hold back tears as he talked about her death.

"It's the biggest loss of my life," he said.

The loving father said he just kissed her cheek when she left home Wednesday night.

"She didn't want to leave home that night but her friends insisted," he said. "Finally, I gave her the permission to go to her friend's home".

Mathawee's elder sister, Mintita Wattanakul, is also famous. She is known as Mint AF3.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-09

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too young, R.I.P.

One question though, looking at the car in the picture and reading the topic description I'm wondering if seat belts were used and if the Air Cushion system functioned

• Like 2

Too young, R.I.P.

One question though, looking at the car in the picture and reading the topic description I'm wondering if seat belts were used and if the Air Cushion system functioned

Would they have been of any use seeing that the car plunged at least 20 feet? Does anybody have an informed opinion?

Vehicles falling from a great height are nothing new in BKK. What does that say about the efficiency of retaining walls?

• Like 2

Too young, R.I.P.

I was wondering about the very same things.

Are the road-side barricades of Bangkok's elevated expressways sufficiently tall and adequately stout?

RIP to the departed.

Too young, R.I.P.

Would they have been of any use seeing that the car plunged at least 20 feet? Does anybody have an informed opinion?

Vehicles falling from a great height are nothing new in BKK. What does that say about the efficiency of retaining walls?

That they are, presumably, effective up to the speed limits of the expressways and overpasses. Both for the height of the barrier and the radius of the curve.

It's a grim exercise, driving along the expressways to see the scratches, gouges and tire marks on every single curve (and most straight stretches for that matter).

• Like 2

I feel very sorry for the family of the young people that died so tragically. Traffic kills and maims worldwide thousands of people each day. I am appalled by all the negative speculations that the kids were driving too fast, had no seat belts on, and/or were drunk. (Drunk on a Thursday MORNING?) Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the norm here.

Perhaps one of the tires blew out. Perhaps the driver got distracted by a phone call. Perhaps it was just an error of judgement that many young and inexperienced drivers make all the time. Most of the time these errors have no consequences, sometimes they are deadly.

I remember when I started driving. Even though I passed the driving exam without any comments, I knew and felt I was not a good driver until perhaps a year later. There were some situations in that first year that could have cost me my life as well. I've been lucky, and sometimes bad luck is already enough to get you killed in traffic.

Edited by Renbe

Looking at the car it is in incredibly good condition considering it had a vertical drop, testimony to Merc Benz. It would appear that if they had been wearing belts there is every chance they would have survived. Why do parents allow their kids to drive cars like this? I know a guy in the Middle East who was shocked and stunned beyond belief when his 18 year old son died after crashing his Lambo Diablo he had bought him for his birthday. Madness.

• Like 1

I for one am not one of the R.I.P. posters that continually post these 3 letters every time someone dies in Thailand. I am one of those people that has been here 14 years continually that knows what the press reports is not fact. Saving face is paramount here. Probably a spoilt young woman (who else has an S class Merc at her age) who went out with friends got drunk/wasn't a competant driver and crashed her car. Done thats it. Thank god she didn't wipe out a minibus like the last richie did!!!!!

If, however, it is proven that this was a tragic accident I will apologise, but I doubt it.

Very interesting post Whistleblower, I think you may have something there.

It seems that they hit the wall and then plunged into the middle of where an exit is, between the exit road and the main road, no real details, I think they should check the phone of the driver and see if the phone was being used at the time of the accident. As others have said the car looked in great shape, the only blood I saw from pictures was on the door handles on the drivers side, seat belts look as though they were not on, and I must admit I did not look if the airbags had come out or not, maybe a fuse not working as am sure they are supplied power from the fuse box if they had not of come out.

Sorry for the guy, who broke down at the interviews, he looked shell shocked at Paolo Hospital with his other daughter, who hardly showed any emotions, she must also have been shocked.

Fast cars and big cars are not for kids.

Sorry to the father and mother for their bad luck.

Edited by beano2274

Too young, R.I.P.

Like many things here, they are there to look nice but not do anything.

Daughter of actor Kowit killed in car accident

The Nation

car.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The youngest daughter of wellknown actor Kowit Wattanakul was killed yesterday morning after her Mercedes Benz plunged off an overpass in Bangkok. She succumbed to her injuries at a hospital, while her friend was killed at the scene.

Matawee Wattanakul, 21, left behind her family and what promised to be a bright future.

She passed away at the Paolo Memorial Paholyothin Hospital after sustaining brain injuries, skull fractures and lung damage.

Also killed in the accident was Jakpong Jarernphon, 22.

They were returning from a study session arranged by their classmates when the accident took place at 5.30am. They were scheduled to take an exam today.

Both victims were fourthyear students at Kasetsart University's Faculty of Humanities.

Matawee's father Kowit Wattanakul, a famous actor, could not hold back tears when talking about her death.

"It's the biggest loss in my life," he said.

The loving father said he had kissed her on the cheek when she left home Wednesday night.

"She didn't want to leave home that night but her friends insisted," he recounted. "Finally, I gave her permission to go to her friend's home."

He hoped this accident would remind all parents that the safest place for their children to prepare for their exams was their own home.

Matawee's elder sister, Mintita Wattanakul, said no one should drive while sleepy. Mintita, widely known as Mint AF3, has already made her name in show biz, and was convinced Matawee was about to follow in her footsteps.

Kowit said he planned to let Matawee star in two movies. "I don't know whether I can work further on these two movie projects now that she's gone," he said.

He described his youngest daughter as a good and talented person. "She's very good at English. The other day, I talked about the possibility of securing her a job at the Tourism Ministry," Kowit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-10

Too young, R.I.P.

That they are, presumably, effective up to the speed limits of the expressways and overpasses. Both for the height of the barrier and the radius of the curve.

It's a grim exercise, driving along the expressways to see the scratches, gouges and tire marks on every single curve (and most straight stretches for that matter).

Roads are built to certain standards which, while allowing some latitude, assume that people drive sensibly. I seem to remember that UK standards (1970ies) were supposed to enable a car with bald tyres travelling at the speed limit, to negotiate curves. I can't imagine even a Merc going through retaining wall - retaining walls are an integral design feature of an overpass, this isn't a place where you should save money. The car has hit the wall and flipped over it, easy enough to do if you are driving much too fast on a wet road. You feel impregnable when you are driving a Merc, instead of you controlling the car, it tends to control you, as you can see every day with larger cars.

Which is why, repeat after me: I must not let my children drive a big car before they have learnt road sense. I'm sure that the poor parents have realised this now.

I hate siding on something like this. The point that they were returning from a study session at 05:30am says it all. I doubt there is much else to explain. For the sake of the father, who had done nothing wrong (bar providing his child with the wrong toy), it is best if the police decide to wrap it up like this. Unfortunately it removes a rather splendid piece of safe driving propaganda from circulation.

All in all a sad moment for a family and another moment passed where this nation could grow up and face some responsibilities.

• Like 1

"The other day, I talked about the possibility of securing her a job at the Tourism Ministry," Kowit said.

job offers at governmental level are not made public, and the most suitable candidate selected by qualification?

Edited by biggunguy