Paying Road Tax

Sophon

The road tax on my pick-up expires Tuesday, so I will be down at the DLT to renew it for another year. What documents do I need to bring, I am thinking the blue book, proof of compulsory insurance and passport, but is there anything else I need?

Also, I might prefer to take the bus to the DLT instead of driving there. Am I correct in assuming that they will not need to inspect the vehicle, since it's less than 5 years old?

Thanks in advance.

Sophon

Blue book and proof of compulsory insurance (usually tear off section at bottom) only + cash of course.

7 years old before inspection cert required.

Just to reiterate, passport or id not required. Well never has for me.

I went to pay my road tax last month at the place on Sukhumvit and it was really efficient. Just up to the second-floor and show them the blue book and insurance, they tear off the perforated part of your insurance when you pay. It's rare that I put the words 'Thailand' and 'efficient' in the same sentence, but I was impressed.

I went to pay my road tax last month at the place on Sukhumvit and it was really efficient. Just up to the second-floor and show them the blue book and insurance, they tear off the perforated part of your insurance when you pay. It's rare that I put the words 'Thailand' and 'efficient' in the same sentence, but I was impressed.

Sukhumvit in Bangkok, if so that's where I will be going too? Good to hear that it's a painless process. Do I need to bring copies of the blue book too?

One complication, though. I just renewed the compulsory insurance a week or so ago, and for some reason the insurance company decided to send the policy certificate to the agent in Hua Hin that the previous owner had used. So at the moment all I have is a PDF-file of the policy that I can print out, but that will in effect just be a copy. If the original doesn't turn up before Tuesday (when the road tax expires), do you think it will be a problem using the copy?

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Sophon

In my experience you need the original compulsory insurance cert. No problems if you are a little late re-newing road tax but there might be a penalty charge added to your renewal amount. (printed in the blue book, so not a scam) This would be 1% / month.

I say might, since in Thailand different offices can do things differently. I got charged the 1% for being 1 day late in Rayong a couple of years ago.

went to tax my 2 year old fortuner the other day .. totally shocked at the price.

i always thought road tax was around 800bt which explained why roads are so bad ..

but they asked for 6500bt !! flabbergasted

That's because you have a truck based 4 door SUV. its the same for 4 door trucks as well. 2 door and cars are mucho cheaper :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

........'Thailand' and 'efficient' in the same sentence, but I was impressed.

Thai Efficiency, thought my spell check would self destruct.......

You guys are too much cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ....... but right-on in your assessments, IMHO, of course.

Can (3rd Class) compulsory insurance be purchased at the DLT offices?

........'Thailand' and 'efficient' in the same sentence, but I was impressed.

Thai Efficiency, thought my spell check would self destruct.......

You guys are too much cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ....... but right-on in your assessments, IMHO, of course.

Can (3rd Class) compulsory insurance be purchased at the DLT offices?

Yes. Usually. Especially at the larger ones.

went to tax my 2 year old fortuner the other day .. totally shocked at the price.

i always thought road tax was around 800bt which explained why roads are so bad ..

That's because you have a truck based 4 door SUV. its the same for 4 door trucks as well. 2 door and cars are mucho cheaper biggrin.png

Wrong, He's got a Fortuner, NOT an MU7. laugh.png

That's because you have a truck based 4 door SUV. its the same for 4 door trucks as well. 2 door and cars are mucho cheaper biggrin.png

Ha, ha ha!

Toe-MAY-toe, Toe-MAH-toe.....it's all the same at the DLT office: "6500 baht please"! wai.gif and pretty much so on the road behind both wheels, too, IMHO!

Ha, ha ha!

Toe-MAY-toe, Toe-MAH-toe.....it's all the same at the DLT office: "6500 baht please"! wai.gif and pretty much so on the road behind both wheels, too, IMHO!

laugh.png , for sure but folk must get the facts right eh. On the road an MU7 is a truck, a Fortuner is an SUV with coil springs all round. thumbsup.gif

Wiki must have it wrong then because they state that its based on the Hilux platform. So its truck based. I didn't say it was the same. Facts :D

Wiki must have it wrong then because they state that its based on the Hilux platform. So its truck based. I didn't say it was the same. Facts biggrin.png

As far as l am aware, every light truck has rear leaf springs. MU7 uses the same truck chassis and leaf springs. Fortuner uses a much shorter chassis than a Vigo with rear coil springs. Chalk and cheese. smile.png

...so,the frame is shorter,but the platform is the same?...except for the rear springs tongue.png

Hmmm, the chassis is shorter and has a different rear suspension engineered setup. The body is obviously very different. Both rides use a chassis which are different except the front end. tongue.png

...so,the frame is shorter,but the platform is the same?...except for the rear springs tongue.png

Hmmm, the chassis is shorter and has a different rear suspension engineered setup. The body is obviously very different. Both rides use a chassis which are different except the front end. tongue.png

...hmmm,so the difference is...the rear end smile.png .....(joking of course)biggrin.png

But even with all that its STILL the same platform. So therefore the Fortuner is based on the Hilux truck therefore its entitled to the PPV vehicle taxation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Fortuner

Its the same as the Nissan March / Almera. Both based on the same platform. But the Almera is much larger :o

Edited by thaicbr

a) That would be the DLT opposite Suk Soi 62 (Prakanong)

B) Your compulsory insurance is noted in their computer so don't bother trying to create your own PDF.

c) Even if your vehicle needed inspection you still don't need to take it with you, in fact a motocy taxi can renew your plate.

Wiki must have it wrong then because they state that its based on the Hilux platform. So its truck based. I didn't say it was the same. Facts biggrin.png

As far as l am aware, every light truck has rear leaf springs. MU7 uses the same truck chassis and leaf springs. Fortuner uses a much shorter chassis than a Vigo with rear coil springs. Chalk and cheese. smile.png

...so,the frame is shorter, but the platform is the same?...except for the rear springs tongue.png

Of course you are correct as far as your statement goes but, like skillful politicians, lawyers and marketers, you're making a point by omission - by not stating all the relevant facts: The larger chasis/body of the MU-7 has a 'tuned' rear end that differentiates it from a truck-like ride and gives it its nice car-like ride that rivals the ride of the Fortuna.

Listing more facts to further tip the balance of riding-comfort and handling between the these two SUVs - a creative suggestion previously recommended by you expert posters on this forum - by replacing OEM components on a new MU-7 with top rated shock absorbers, larger tires plus converting the rear drum brakes to disc brakes and upgrading the front rotors (and optionally the front calipers) - you have the top road-cruising SUV under 2 mil baht, and all for less than the price of a new Fortuna or Trailblazer.

was talking about the road tax to a friend who has not bought any for 3 years for his hilux

his comments were he has been stopped/fined 3 times at a cost each time between 500-1000bt, total 2500bt

had he paid the tax it would of cost him 15,000+ for 3 years

don't they impound cars here for no tax or record repeat offenders . i guess that would need them to keep records though as opposed to getting there tea money , and do they not have a central system where the policeman enters car details to check when they stop you ?