Miniumn Amount Needed For Single Trade On Set

Hi I have a dbs vickers itrade account and placed an order to purchase over 25000 baht worth of Siam cement shares.

This order didnt go through completely and is now on the odd lot market

Can anyone explain the value/volume requirements for purchases I would of thought 25k would be enough but apparently not.

My Australian educated DBS vickers contact cant beyond saying I needed a 100 share parcel but has previously told me 20000 baht was enough.

Also when I transfer money to DBS vickers Thailand I then have to ring them and tell them the amount and where it was sent from

there is no way to identify my transfer. <deleted>. Seems laughable to me to have every client phoning in to say they transfered x amount

via this or that method. I just want to buy some shares the more difficult something is made the less likely you are to bother.

There is no minimum amount per trade in Baht, you can trade small amounts like 1.000 Baht or so. The important thing is the minimum size lot is 100 shares. You can for example buy 100 shares 5 Baht each for low value shares.

Siam Cement is trading at 336 Baht, so your minimum is 33,600 Baht for this stock. Smaller quantities can be bought as well, but are odd lots. There must be somebody selling such a small quantity in order for your purchase to go through.

You should open a cash balance account and transfer a higher amount to your broker, for example 500,000 Baht. Purchases will then be deducted every time. The broker will pay interest for this balance. In this case you will be more flexible with your purchases. If you sell a stock the money will be automatically credited back to your cash balance.

Edited by stockinvestor
  • Like 2

As your broker says, shares are traded in parcels of shares or "lots". The most common number for a "lot" is 100 shares. So it is the number of shares which has a minimum amount you can trade rather than the value of a share.

So if shares of

Company A are say 40 baht each then your minimum trade value is 1 lot = 100 shares x THB40 = THB 4,000

Company B are say 80 baht each then your minimum trade value is 1 lot= 100 shares x THB 80 = THB 8,000

When your broker says THb 20k is OK, what he means is most shares have a price where the value of 100 shares is less than THB 20k

Above is the most common scenario for trading on the "Main Board" under the main system (AOM). There are other boards such as "Big Lot Board" for buying large amounts. There is also an "Odd lot" board for shares that are not in parcels of 100, as for a variety of reasons you may end up with odd numbers of shares. Odd lots are more hassle to trade.

Worth also noting that shares with a price of over THB 500 each may trade in lots of 50 shares. More details....

http://www.set.or.th...gsystem_p4.html

and for the insomniac

http://www.set.or.th...aw0102_3_EN.pdf

BTW on SCC The shares were around 333 each. 1 lot would be 100 x 333 = 33k. Hence your 25k is too small in value

http://marketdata.se...e=en&country=US

BTW2 Depending on your bank system you are using there are things that you can use to get round/ help the difficulty of identifying amounts:

- some banks will allow you to send an sms with the transfer. I do this with BKK bank and send an sms with a note message to my relationship manager's mobile I am transferring + an email of the transfer details. I figure as he's my RM and as my commission is tagged to his ID it's fair enough to expect his help in things running smoothly

- I usually transfer odd amounts. As you can imagine most people do say 10k, 20k, 100k etc. I usually do say 10,000.01 (10k baht + 1 satang) and then together with the email/sms- it's much easier to pick up electronically so they can usually match for me and I can use within a couple of hours depending on time of day done and bank cut-off times, eg before say mid-day. Easy to see the guy with 10,000.01 among tens/hundrdreds of 10k

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 2

The above responses to the OP are one of the reasons I stick with ThaiVisa despite the plenitude of trash posts'

Two thoughtful posts clearly answering the OP and educating anybody else willing to take a moment and read them.

clap2.gif

• Like 2

ddddave you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the quality of the replies and thanks for ignoring my frustration and ignorance. I appreciate the time put into those answers and to anyone who poses a question and gets quality replies you should always acknowledge the responders.

The above responses to the OP are one of the reasons I stick with ThaiVisa despite the plenitude of trash posts'

Two thoughtful posts clearly answering the OP and educating anybody else willing to take a moment and read them.

clap2.gif

+1 I found them very interesting/informative too.

Thanks folks