Road Accident Victims To Get Hospital Treatment Regardless Of Insurance: Thailand

webfact

You know all the cops bosses. You are in cloud cookoo land if you believe you are so safe.

I saw a chap attacked by a woman while leaving a bar and the police he was drinking with at the time walked away from the scene........

Another chap asked his police colonel for help and the colonel wanted 300,000baht. He didnt pay, the colonel lost face. The guy was then in real trouble.............

However if you pay the police in advance...................

One of my mates married a lady who's brother is a fairly large policeman. For years all he talked about was how the policeman said he would take care of him, blah, blah, blah. They hung out together, got drunk together, he even loaned him money. However the FIRST time he was needed when my friend had some Thais claim he did something he didn't do, the brother was no where to be found. clap2.gif

"I know the police boss" is such a broken record story here. And even if you do, chances are they won't remember you if you need them. Because when you're not around, you're just another farang.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and they generally call ambulance to get free ride also rather than taking the bus. Ambulance has to take them. I have represented hospitals and doctors for almost 17 years and most of my good friends are docs. I know the system very well

Do they also call the fire department if they need watering their lawn? rolleyes.gif

Any road accident victim, or just Thai?

If they adopt the same as in Australia and other countries where you pay extra on your registration for 3rd party insurance then it would cover all persons injured or killed including pedestrians and foreigners. If you are unlicenced or your vehicle is unregistered then you will still be treated in the 1st instance but will receive a bill and possible charges.

As far as I know, in Britain anybody who turns up in a hospital Casualty department needing emergency treatment is treated free of charge regardless of nationality or insurance status. There are presumably other countries which do the same, but one can say for sure that the USA -- "leader of the free world" -- is not one of them.

Oh Yes they hate it . and name it "socialized medicine" AGHHHHH. Government interfering in what hospital or doctor you see. .. Thats the way they think. no hope is there

Edited by KKvampire

Here's a thought. Our 12 year old niece was killed 3 months ago in a hit-and-run accident. She was already dead before her body hit the road so severe was the impact to the back of her head caused by the near-side door mirror. Her body still had to be taken to the hospital presumably for a doctor to pronounce her dead. I don't know if this incurred any costs ( but can find out of course ). I wonder how the Road Accidents Victims Protection Co will recover any costs from those who violated the traffic laws in our kind of incident ? Will they set up a fund similar to that which we have in the UK., or will they pass on the medical costs to the family of the victim ? Keow, R.I.P.

That's tragic. My condolences to your family.

Thats excellent - and even if one had to pay a bill of 32,000 baht for 7 days in hospital, thats peanuts in comparison to what you would pay even for basic medical care overseas.

Yes, but "basic medical care" is all you're gonna get, and I do mean basic.

Not so! in the good old UK you get the best care for free.

Not so straight forward as that. A law was enacted in the mid 50's that entitled NHS hospitals to charge for treatment of injuries caused from traffic accidents. I came off my motorbike and suffered slight injuries to a wrist and elbow 1957. Since nobody else was involved and I had said I had been riding a motorbike, the hospital gave me a bill. I didn't pay the bill and the hospital didn't chase me for it. In the UK there is no way that you can collect from an unsecured debtor except possibly applying for their bankruptcy in which case it costs more to collect the debt than the payout. Some hospitals may have a policy of asking for payment just in case somebody plays the 'white man', and given today's morality, others may not recognising it as a useless exercise.

I expect the law is still on the books as MP's are too busy fiddling with their expense claims to strike it out. Another law still on the books AFAIK provides that all London cabs carry a bucket of water and some hay to feed and refresh the horse.

I've always paid 3rd party insurance on my motorcycle registration in Thailand, it's only a few hundred baht. It's separate from the registration. I can't remember what it covers now. Mind you I could assume that sometimes the law is probably enforced and other times not.

TPPI = 3rd Party (NOT you or your passenger) Personal Injury. the reason that it is cheap is that serious injury caused to a 3rd party from a motorcycle is quite rare, and the max payout is quite small.

Wrong. I just finished submitting my medical bills after a minor MVA and the money will be transferred direct to my bank account in about 10 days.

Edited by Yme

@ Mr Southern man

Well bully for you, but I as well as most other people aren't interested in how many vehicles you own, doesn't seem to be relevant to the argument. Can you in fact write a sentence disagreeing with somebody without using it? Most people feel insulted when they read it. This may well be your intention but it doesn't help you win arguments. Same goes for using the word 'fool' and what was the other one, 'smarty pants'? Nice one, most entertaining.

I used the the 'BS' term in this forum for the first time today, had to do it because you used it and you seem to think it is something to be used in intelligent discussion. That's my beef.

If you don't understand that, then maybe because you didn't learn English or manners.

:

@ cooked:

Although it's indeed completely unnecessary of Mr. Southern man to mention how much vehicles he has (maybe he needs to make up for something small?), he used the word (or abbreviation) BS correctly! Actually I wanted to write about the same comment (without all the people letting know how may vehicles I havelaugh.png ), since it's indeed total BS that you as a foreigner are always wrong in an accident, because you simply are not! I speak of experience after about 5 accidents (non of them due to my wrong-doing). All of them were nicely paid by the other people insurances.

Many of the posters here are just posting what they were told they have no real experience. That is not to say that the odd one did not have it happen to he/she. But they are in the minority.

On a side note you might want to consider different transportation.

Thanks hellodolly for helping out.

Indeed most of the posters who claim this and that have no own experience. And of course there are also people would got lured into paying although they were not wrong, BUT this happens in all countries and it's not because you are a foreigner here. Some people just like you to pay. This happens other countries as well. If there are no witnesses (and most of the time witnesses are useless as well) some people try to twist the story in their favor.

About considering a different kind of transportation: I don't think so! All of my accidents were small ones (2 in a parking lot!, 2 on a roundabout! and 1 a little bit more severe on some main road, but luckily not too much damage for both me and the other guy). I drive a Fortuner and always keep plenty of distance between me and the people in front of me. That way I have both enough time to brake AND look in the mirror to avoid the people in my back who usually drive way too close to other cars! This saves me from the rearending type of accidents, but unfortunately Thais mostly don't look where they going and will always try to be first (for some stupid reason!), so that's why most of my accidents happened. Just stupid avoidable small accidents!

I certainly don't want to lay the faith of my family and myself in the hands of an irresponsible ....(fill in by yourself: taxi, van or bus) driver!wink.png

Edited by Cheops

Thats excellent - and even if one had to pay a bill of 32,000 baht for 7 days in hospital, thats peanuts in comparison to what you would pay even for basic medical care overseas.

Yes, but "basic medical care" is all you're gonna get, and I do mean basic.

Not so! in the good old UK you get the best care for free.

Not so straight forward as that. A law was enacted in the mid 50's that entitled NHS hospitals to charge for treatment of injuries caused from traffic accidents. I came off my motorbike and suffered slight injuries to a wrist and elbow 1957. Since nobody else was involved and I had said I had been riding a motorbike, the hospital gave me a bill. I didn't pay the bill and the hospital didn't chase me for it. In the UK there is no way that you can collect from an unsecured debtor except possibly applying for their bankruptcy in which case it costs more to collect the debt than the payout. Some hospitals may have a policy of asking for payment just in case somebody plays the 'white man', and given today's morality, others may not recognising it as a useless exercise.

I expect the law is still on the books as MP's are too busy fiddling with their expense claims to strike it out. Another law still on the books AFAIK provides that all London cabs carry a bucket of water and some hay to feed and refresh the horse.

absolutely as straight forward as that, all treatment is free! end of!

Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said the Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) and insurance firms had launched E-Claim, an emergency payment plan to cover medical bills of the victims of road accidents regardless of their insurance coverage.

I'm a wee bit cynical I know. Maybe 18 years Thailand did that. Reading the topic I have this vision of the victim of a road accident being brought to a hospital and upon the indication of possibly no insurance someone saying "Just put him there. We're a bit busy at the moment and will look later"

absolutely as straight forward as that, all treatment is free! end of!

Start mining HM Government sites on the subject and educate yourself. And do slow down.

There is a distinction between receiving treatment free of charge and being entitled to it.

If they adopt the same as in Australia and other countries where you pay extra on your registration for 3rd party insurance then it would cover all persons injured or killed including pedestrians and foreigners. If you are unlicenced or your vehicle is unregistered then you will still be treated in the 1st instance but will receive a bill and possible charges.

As far as I know, in Britain anybody who turns up in a hospital Casualty department needing emergency treatment is treated free of charge regardless of nationality or insurance status. There are presumably other countries which do the same, but one can say for sure that the USA -- "leader of the free world" -- is not one of them.

That comment is off-topic, inaccurate and lacking in class.

They have been running a similar type farang policy for years.

It`s called the pay or die scheme.

This policy only has two clauses: YOU WRONG, YOU PAY.

They have been running a similar type farang policy for years.

It`s called the pay or die scheme.

This policy only has two clauses: YOU WRONG, YOU PAY.

Very True!!!! As an Asian living in Europe for Years... I thought racism was a sickness of the European... being in Thailand. I am only not only convinced that they cannot accept diversity in culture...but they do have a racial problem and screwed up kink of being fair themselves.....