Colonoscopy / Colon Exam

sk1max

Seriously if I may; for those of us who are now feeling queezy....at what point in life, does the question/need arise to feel you need the endoscopy.

sorry....but is it when you have persistant piles; or continual stomach cramps or diarrhoea, or maybe time to address a family gene problem.

no need to be too specific but when do alarm bells ring?

Seriously if I may; for those of us who are now feeling queezy....at what point in life, does the question/need arise to feel you need the endoscopy.

sorry....but is it when you have persistant piles; or continual stomach cramps or diarrhoea, or maybe time to address a family gene problem.

no need to be too specific but when do alarm bells ring?

To answer your questions:

At any time that you have unresolved gastrointestinal issues and this might include, bloating, diarrhoea, cramps, changes in the colour of your stool, unexplained wieght loss, rectal bleeding. It's not so much as alarm bells ringing, it's more about using the endocopy to rule out certain things and/or to confirm a diagnosis. It's also massively helpful to be able to take tissue samples during the procedure and to perform preventative maintenance such as the removal of small growths. I was initailly put off by the idea of having this done many years ago, I subsequently had it done and now don't quite understand why I didn't have it done much sooner because it's not painful and it has so many benefits.

It's also quite interesting to lay there and watch (on the video monitor), the camera make its way around the bends of your colon, see them snipping things here and there for biopsy, etc. Also the feeling of euphoria from the Demerol/Benadryl/Versed cocktail is something that should be experienced as well. biggrin.png

Seriously it's a good idea if you are 50+ to have this done every few years. Like chiangmai said, it will rule out any potential problems. I had a few of them years ago and was always back to work by mid-afternoon -- except one time when the Doc have me a bit too much Benadryl and I was too hung-over to return to work that day.

I like the idea of the Demerol cocktail, but prefer to be asleep and watch it on DVD later.

Wouldn't mind some of the cocktail 'to go'. wink.png

• Like 2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guys must be putting the shits up the OP (so to speak).

Provided that you opt for the numbing pre-med (not the same as being anaesthetised out of consciousness the colonoscopy procedure should be relatively painless - just a bit of mild discomfort when it goes round one or two bends. At least that was my experience on a couple of occasions in the UK

Here you can opt to be put to sleep for a short while and will know absolutely nothing about the procedure.

I'm speaking for Rajavej and Ram, but I'm sure other's are same.

Yeah but TIT. If I woke up from a full anaesthetic I could never be completely sure where I got my sore @rse frombiggrin.png

PS; And lest I fall into the same trap, accidentally discouraging patients with ribaldry, a colonoscopy doesnt tend to leave you with a sore anything - just tiredness and a slight post-punched-in-the-stomach feeling for a day.

One of the aspects that put me off having an endoscopy sooner was the idea of the laxatives before hand, when the nurse sat down with me and showed me the stuff to drink she gave me the idea that I was going to be on the pot all night long and cautioned me to stay very close to a toilet, I had mental pictures of my gut being turned inside out and me begging for it all to stop. In truth the process is nothing more than having mild stomach flu and is not onerus at all.

So there, I think we've covered all the bases, now nobody has any reason not to go get one done, you'll feel really good afterwards.

• Like 1

Yeah but TIT. If I woke up from a full anaesthetic I could never be completely sure where I got my sore @rse frombiggrin.png

I'm sure there are some who would find it quite enjoyable without any anaesthetic. wink.png

An English chum of mine in Phuket, a big strapping man who used to play Aussie rules football had it done without any anesthetic, he claims it was the most painful experience of his life. Some might enjoy the first few inches but I guarantee nobody will enjoy the next couple of feet.

I'm sure there are some who would find it quite enjoyable without any anaesthetic. wink.png

An English chum of mine in Phuket, a big strapping man who used to play Aussie rules football had it done without any anesthetic, he claims it was the most painful experience of his life. Some might enjoy the first few inches but I guarantee nobody will enjoy the next couple of feet.

Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

When the scope makes a couple of bends and the camera head hits the walls of the colon it is incredibly painful even with the Demerol.

Another vote for Rajavev. Got my first there in April for 6000 baht. All the pre-procedure anxiety was misplaced. I freely admit to being a fan of Rajavev outpatient/same day services.

Really? Are you sure about that price? 6,000 sounds really low for a colonoscopy and anesthetics.

Another vote for Rajavev. Got my first there in April for 6000 baht. All the pre-procedure anxiety was misplaced. I freely admit to being a fan of Rajavev outpatient/same day services.

Gee, I paid 16,000 or 17,000 this year - at Rajavej. I recommend it.

Gee, I paid 16,000 or 17,000 this year - at Rajavej. I recommend it.

Sounds about right, I paid 12,000 at Rajavej three years ago.

I had this done in the states some 40 yr ago in the Dr office with no meds. On the table, up on my knees, I saw the nurse come in with a stainless steel tube, of a size that would make any horse proud. After a good greasing, the Dr said there would be some minor discomfort, and then I had tears come to my eyes. Last thing I remember. Good luck

Don't know what Doc you went to but sigmoid scopes have been 'flexible' since perhaps the late 1950's - early 1960's. Although unpleasant, it is not at all a painful procedure and is done with the patient laying on the side. Maybe your Doc never upgraded his gear?

My arse it is not painful--the sigmoidoscopy I had was the most painful experience of my life, to this day (this was done about 12 years ago, I still wish that I had slugged the doc at the end saying: "Oh now, that doesn't hurt much, does it?" Because he said to me: "Oh that doesn't hurt that much...stop moving." Some people seem to experience no pain and some experience a whole lot of pain--who knows why, but I recommend that you never have a Sigmoidoscopy done.

Horrid, horrid, horrid.. No, No, No to a Sigmoidoscopy--yes to a Colonoscopy because they do conscious sedation. You are awake and you do feel pain--but you cannot remember it, or retain it in memory, so when you wake, you believe you felt no pain. As a RN student I observed several and this is the way it goes:

Patient, Oh, ouch! Doctor: Oh did that hurt? Patient: Huh, did what hurt, Oh ouch... Doctor "Sorry" Patient: "Sorry about what?"

It's funny actually, but the meds block imprinting the memory, so while you feel pain, the real problem with pain seems to be the "remembering of it," and under conscious sedation you cannot remember a bit so if asked: Was it painful? You will answer: "no."

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Any recommendations for the hospital with the newest high tech [least traumatic] colonoscopy machine as well as the best dr to administer the task in the least painful way with the best drugs? I'm way overdue for the procedure.

I had mine done at Ram, but I cannot remember the name of the doctor. Took prep fluid from 6am, no drama. Checked in at Ram at 11:00, prepped and in theatre at 1pm. Woke up in the recovery room, visited by the doctor & given a colour photo set of my colon!! Went home at 2:30 pm.

Did not feel a thing, the staff were very attentive and the cost was just over 11000 baht.

Will go back for my 5 year check with no apprehensions about the procedure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just wondering if the procedure could be done as an 'in' patient procedure, as my medical insurance does not cover out patient procedures??

Why wouldn't the hospital be happy to have you pay for an overnight?

Just wondering if the procedure could be done as an 'in' patient procedure, as my medical insurance does not cover out patient procedures??

It would probably require the doctor to say that you are in pain and needed admission, but I'm not certain.

See if your insurance covers you as a 'day patient', which requires observation and a period in the recovery room, which is different in insurance terms to 'outpatient'.

IMO doctors/hospital here can be your friend as far as insurance goes, you need to have a chat.

Edited by uptheos

I had mine done at Ram, but I cannot remember the name of the doctor. Took prep fluid from 6am, no drama. Checked in at Ram at 11:00, prepped and in theatre at 1pm. Woke up in the recovery room, visited by the doctor & given a colour photo set of my colon!! Went home at 2:30 pm.

Did not feel a thing, the staff were very attentive and the cost was just over 11000 baht.

Will go back for my 5 year check with no apprehensions about the procedure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

brommers, when was that? There seems to have been a steep rise in medical costs in the last couple of years or so. Cost me about 16,000 a year ago at Rajavej.

If folk quote operation, medical procedure costs, they really need to say when those costs were incurred or else the costs are meaningless. This applies to all medical procedure threads.

Although so many people - specially men - die of intestinal cancer the people are too shy, too mean or to lazy to do a colonoscopy. As this kind of cancer is slowly growing there is a very high chance to cure it if the cancer is detected in time. The best chance to detect it is by a colonoscopy/colon exam. When this cancer builds already metastases then it's too late, you should prepare your last will.

I had had it in CM RAM in December of last year and was completely satisfied with the doctors' service. No pain afterwards. Before, there is the already recorded, but not serious trouble.

costs:

Operating Professional Fee - Dr. JARUWAT 8.000 THB

Anesthetic Professional Fee - Dr. APIROM 2.000 THB

RAM-Hospital, Medication Eqipment etc. 8.126 THB

Total 18.126 THB

==========

Edited by puck2

I've been pretty well convinced to do the deed so, if I were to get myself checked into a hospital [to get my insurance to pay] for the procedure then which would be the better hospital?? considering latest equipment, comfort and quality of service??

McCormick, Rajavej , or Ram?? or others??

20,000 for dual gastro/colonoscopy with anaesthetic so you know nothing, isn't a bad price. Here's the prices for just a colonoscopy done privately in UK. Average between 50 - 100,000 Baht depending on region and if you want it done free on NHS, goodness knows how long you will have to wait.

UK prices for colonoscopy

UK price range £1005- £2195

http://www.privatehe...st/colonoscopy/

Less than 2 weeks if they suspect cancer.

I've been pretty well convinced to do the deed so, if I were to get myself checked into a hospital [to get my insurance to pay] for the procedure then which would be the better hospital?? considering latest equipment, comfort and quality of service??

You have quite an insurance policy if you can game it that way. What company is it ?

I have an elderly friend who had problems with Polyps in his rectum. He used to be examined every 6 months and referred to the procedure as Up Periscope not a pleasant procedure for an elderly gent.

Some years ago I knew he was due to visit the Dr and was surprised when he walked into The Pub with a spring in his step and a pleasant smile.

Your looking happy, says I, thought you'd been for Up Periscope.

John when your 86 and after the examination the Dr says

"I'll see you in 12 months it's no wonder I am feeling up."

john

I don't know about CM but I recently has endoscopy and colonoscopy done at Bumrungrad in BKK . Nothing found so had a capsule endoscopy done the following day which spotted the problem - total cost was just under $3K, very professional and I can certainly recommend them. I'm booked in next week for follow up treatment [colonoscopy APC to zap the problem areas].

Geez, this is a c.m. forum.

I don't know about CM but I recently has endoscopy and colonoscopy done at Bumrungrad in BKK . Nothing found so had a capsule endoscopy done the following day which spotted the problem - total cost was just under $3K, very professional and I can certainly recommend them. I'm booked in next week for follow up treatment [colonoscopy APC to zap the problem areas].

Geez, this is a c.m. forum.

Maybe, but it's very interesting to know that a capsule endoscopy is available in Thailand. I'm not certain that it is available in CM or rather I've never heard of anyone being referred for one. Normal procedures can often miss problems in the small intestine, whereas the capsule contains a tiny camera and records images as it goes through the system.....it reaches the parts that other diagnostics can't reach. Appx 90,000 baht sounds expensive but it's high tech and can save a life...well worth knowing which hospitals in Thailand offer this.

You have quite an insurance policy if you can game it that way. What company is it ?

I have used Ram & Rajavej in the past. Has to be overnight and recommended by the Dr for medical reasons to have the insurance pay up to their limit. We use BUPA Thailand.

I have used Ram & Rajavej in the past. Has to be overnight and recommended by the Dr for medical reasons to have the insurance pay up to their limit. We use BUPA Thailand.

Given a choice between Ram and Rajavej, which has the better Drs, equipment, cost and room comfort??

Thanks......

Given a choice between Ram and Rajavej, which has the better Drs, equipment, cost and room comfort??

Thanks......

Room is only one night, so anything private will do really, it's not as if you're going for a holiday. Equipment, can't really answer that as I never actually see it, apart from the IV inserted for sedation. Personally, I've used Prof Kannika at Rajavej, lovely lady and I knew nothing about the actual procedure, the sedation was great. Can't say I enjoy drinking that Swiff stuff the night before and first thing in the morning to clear you out, but I certainly felt lighter!

Good luck wherever you go and hope the result is a good one.