Becomming A Modern Bohemian In Thailand - Looking For Hideaways In The Nature With Internet Access

DummDays

I am planning a new Form of Living here in Thailand:

take my Car, put all important personal Stuff with me, buy me a Kayak and put in on the Top of my Car

and travel from one Place to the other here in Thailand

Regardless Length of Stay at any Place, the only "must" is a full natural Surrounding at the Place I will stay,

but not at the Beaches or on Islands - Mountains, National Parks of "just" Countryside

I am looking for inexpensive "Hideouts" here in Thailand - Resorts or Homestay in the Nature, but with a good Internet Access.

If anybody could give some Informations ( even Weblinks ) - very much appreciated

Cheers

Edited by DummDays
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, but it's not a new form of living. I have several friends who took multi-year sabbaticals in Thailand doing pretty much what you're pondering.

As for internet access, get a 3G USB card and you're not locked into places with WIFI. I also occasionally use my 3G smart phone to create a wireless hotspot when I need quick access to that interweb thing on my computer. It's often no slower than the WIFI on oversubscribed hotel systems with every guest trying to stream video.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure!

thank you very much for your contribution to my thread

in many places, 3G ist a good option - but let me tell you, where I am now - and there is NO 3G available

http://www.salakphet.com/th/

prestine nature with mountains, rain- and mangrove forest, islands and waterfalls

if I need internet, I have to go to a resort and have food and drink there..

thanks for your idea about "use my 3G smart phone to create a wireless hotspot" - very much appreciated this idea

2G is available, but too slow

In such a venture, a few things will have to be considerd:

It may be more expensive than you think by hopping from Guesthouse to Guesthouse (Resorts are too expensive).

Roadside Camping is not known in Thailand for the very simple reason that it is too dangerous. (Especially in the boonies, there will be some town-drunks, that like your equippemnt more than tou do (including your Kajak.)

As an alternative you may want to make your stays in the countryside with a local family in a given village (cheapest way to go as far as lodging is concerned). The problem is only, that the male population of the village will expect, that you foot the bill for the Beer-Consumption of them on a daily basis. (The use of a Guesthouse will therefore cost you less, easily !

In general: It is very hard to understand for the rural-population in Thailand that a foreigner (Farang) that is travelling on a budget and is not "rich". In their eyes, every Farang is "rich" and if you are not willing or able to contribute to the temporary "well-beeing" of the village, you will not be a welcome guest for very long, no matter where you go and stay.

I speak from past experience. I tried this 3 years ago (including Road-Side Camping) by way of motorcycle. After 2 months I abandoned the project and returnrd to my "Base-Camp" in Thailand.

And: Internet-Connections in the boonies may be sufficient to send an occasional e-mail and surf the internet (if you are a patient person), but if it were to be used to (for example) to trade stock or commodity markets, it will be too slow in any case.

A final word: To me, and no offense, there is a contradiction in terms. A Bohemian that NEEDS internet can not be a Bohemian. I believe one eliminates the other, or the word "Bohemian" has aquired another meaning over the last 30 years.

But by all means, if the OP wants to go and do it, let's hope he will keep us posted, since this is, in my humble view, an interesting topic.

Cheers.

• Like 2

@ swissie.........I agree with all your comments, especially the oxymoron of living a "bohemian" existence yet still wanting to be on the net?

I can understand for emergency reasons, but just to check your e-mails, have a chat on TV.......I don't get it.

Also, if you are going to camp by the roadside or thereabouts, make sure you are far far away from any village or house.......just heed "swissie's" comments.

But if you do do it, keep us up to date with photos and tell-alls.

Good luck. thumbsup.gif

thank you very much for your contribution to my thread

in many places, 3G ist a good option - but let me tell you, where I am now - and there is NO 3G available

http://www.salakphet.com/th/

prestine nature with mountains, rain- and mangrove forest, islands and waterfalls

if I need internet, I have to go to a resort and have food and drink there..

thanks for your idea about "use my 3G smart phone to create a wireless hotspot" - very much appreciated this idea

2G is available, but too slow

Google Chrome told me that site link is know to distribute malware...

just saying

If you are serious about Kayaking try

Sinchai's Chaomai Resort, very close to Hat Yeo (South of Trang)

Great shoreline, loads of hidden beaches (one round the corner of the cliff from Sinchai's that you can wade to at low tide)

And close to many Islands.

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2006/12/ko-libong-hat-yao-and-ko-laoliang.html

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Khao Kor is 20 minutes from town of Phetchabun, good internet speed ,plenty of places to stay around 300-400 baht a night. Camp grounds cheaper.

http://www.neverseen...ravel-guide.php

thank you very much for your contribution to my thread - you link was very helpfull, thanks again

by following your link, I found kanchanaburi and the region very beautifull

http://www.neverseen...anchanaburi.php

...Sai Yoak Yai Waterfalls. Wachiralongkorn Dam is the nearest dam to the city of Kanchanaburi and its landscape

is one of the most beautiful places in Thailand.....

http://www.neverseen...tinhomestay.php

living on a raft house - exciting idea

digging deeper into this kanchanaburi area, there are a 700 years old khmer ruins, Muang Sing Historical Park

I googled about a homestay in this area and found this

Moo Bann Linthin is the small village in Kanchanaburi, It is famed for its mountains and hills. Just 130 Km from Bangkok, 15k.m. from Sai Yoke Yai Waterfalls. Many peoples often travel to famous destination but Someone like to stay at the place that you never seen before in Thailand. At Bann linthin, Hillsmen are native people over long years ago.

Edited by DummDays