What Is Good, Something Between An Ipad And Laptop?

UbonOz

I would like to buy something that is not as bulky as a laptop for travelling.

I have an iPad 2 and laptop. The iPad is excellent, but it has limitations, ie. cannot use a printer or external hard drive.

Can anybody offer a suggestion to what would be suitable with good speed and storage.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are looking for a netbook which fits in between a tablet and full notebook. It will have USB ports for printer and external drive and can run either Linux or Windows 7. You can take a look here at what's available and prices - Netbooks

• Like 1

You could try looking at the laptop/netbooks with an 11.6 inch display. Small, light, powerful and very portable. I am using the HP DM1z.

Or, if 11.6 inches is too large, there are 10-10.5 inch display netbooks. On average the screen resolution (1024x600) is not nearly as good as the 11.6 inch units (1366x768), but there are a few of the 10 inch displays that are higher resolution.

Netbooks are dead............... ultrabooks are the vogue now.

Comparing Netbooks and Ultrabooks is comparing a Ford Fiesta and a BMW M3... they are absolutely not in the same price range.

What OP is looking for is coming in a few months with Windows 8 Tablets:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260622/eight_windows_8_tablets_to_watch.html

2 weeks ago I bought a HP Folio 13 Notebook. It has a solid state hard drive, is very light, ultra-fast and has a very long battery life (depends what I'm using it for but it seems to be about 3 times the life of my old laptop).

I love it smile.png

Netbooks are dead............... ultrabooks are the vogue now.

Thanks for info, just looked at - http://ultrabook-rev...tenreviews.com/

Agree - Ultrabook is what you want. I recommend Asus Zenbook. Keep an extra 10KTHB in your pocket over the cost of a MacBook Air. I don't know why the review in your link gave it less than top marks for design- the "spun" aluminum case of the Zenbook is probably the sexiest thing I have seen in a long time that doesn't have legs or wheels.

I'd like to chime in with a recommendation for the MacAir 11". I've had netbooks, have the ipad, a nexus 7, 11" and 14" XPS computers and really the biggest bang for a very small buck is the Air 11". It's nearly as small and light as an ipad, the power supply isn't too big and it's fast. Fast enough to do real work. Light enough to slip into a carry on backpack and still have room for pretty much everything else you want to carry, including a DSLR if you need. If you've got an apple store near you pick up and hold a closed 11".

I use dual platform so I'm not recommending just because I'm an apple fan. If there's an equivalent PC (per the recommendations above), you can give it a shot. I haven't looked since I got my Air, as it's working great for me.

Edited by voracious

Have a look at the ASUS transformer prime which has an attachable keyboard so that it can be used like a Netbook. It normally has 32GB of inbuilt storage plus a Micro SD slot and another full size SD slot in the keyboard. The keyboard also has a USB port to attach an external drive and with a suitable App. it will print to a wireless printer. I find that it will do almost everything that my Laptop can do but the Office Apps. compatible with Microsoft Office are limited in functionality but they will no doubt get better.

You can print with an iPad, there are apps for that.

Specific hard drives, like the Seagate Satellite or the Kingston Wi-Drive give access. And there are some others.

One thing nice about a tablet is in an airplane you don't have to worry about being crushed by the seat in front of you.

It might come down to your preference of device.

• Like 1