Info On Driving/walking Across Border?

Hello,

I am interested in information on driving directly to the malaysian border to get a 3 month stamp for a mult entry visa. Can one drive to the border, park, walk across, get stamped and walk back over? Where is a good place to park?

Or must I arrange transportation for Hat Yai? Where is the best place to get it to cross the border and back? How much does it cost?

Has anyone else done this type of visa run? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the info. I've spent a lot of time doing every imaginable keyword search and I can't find an answer to whether one can actually walk over the border and back. Perhaps I did not find the right postings. Can anyone give me a yes or no answer to that? Is there a place to park next to the border? If parking in Hat Yai is the best option, I take it the Kings hotel mentioned is in downtown Hat Yai-where is it located-street?

Which side of the border is the duty free shop and is it close enough to the immigration checkpoint to park and walk? Any useful tips appreciated.

I'm not going to Penang, I just want to get the stamp at the checkpoint.

Thanks!

Hi Scarlett,

I am a regular traveller from Malaysia to Hatyai by car. This is my best option for you.

Assuming that you are driving from Hatyai to Danok/Bukit Kayu Hitam by car.

Park your car in a safe parking lot in Danok. Walk to the Thai Immigration checkpoint in Danok.

Clear Danok Immigration...... keep walking to the Malaysian Duty Free Shopping Complex which

is just about a ten minutes walk. You are now in Malaysian territory, but don't worry......... because

the Malaysian Immigration Check Point is about one km away from the Duty Free Complex.

I have personally noticed many Thai nationals who just walk over to the Malaysian duty free complex,

bought the duty free goods and just cross back to Danok. The question whether the Khon Thai did clear

the Danok Immigration with the passport....... I really do not know. I am also curious to find out next time.

Coming back to your case, proceed to the duty free complex, you can buy or do window shopping.......

and after sometime walk back to the Danok Immigration to do what you have to do.

Good luck and pleasant trip.

Sawatdi krap ! Choke di nah krap !

:o

I have been there many times to get my stamps. Just drive from Hat Yai south to Sadao (follow the signs saying "To Border"). In Sadao you turn right for a few kilometers to Pedang Besar. In Pedang Besar you will find the checkpoint on the left side of the road. There is a big parking lot there. Leave your car there, walk to the Immigration desk, no need to enter the building. From there you can get a motorbike taxi into Malaysia and back for 50 Baht. The whole procedure will take about 15 minutes. The actual "visarun" from Hat Yai, including some shopping at the Duty Free, going back to Hat Yai will take about two hours. Quick and hassle-free.

Thanks for all the helpful info! I did it and it was easy once we got there. I parked next to the border checkpoint, got my thai exit stamp, then my Malaysia entrance and exits stamps, then the thai entrance. I saw others actually park within the border checkpoint. The Thai border inspectors are still scrutinizing all the stamps, dates, and visas.

For all reasons given why foreigners must exit the country for visas and stamps, this journey proved to me its all BS. Foremost, catching terrorists cannot be believed. This border (on both sides) proved to be extremely lax on checking or observing the passage of pedestrians. I feel certain that a terrorist could simply walk across the border without obtaining any stamps or having any documentation checked. Perhaps they would enter "illegally" but what do they care when they come to do their dirty work. I'm still wondering what the real reason is for the inconvenience and expense put upon foreigners and visa holders. It seems if they are so gung-ho to see that our paperwork is in order, a local check would suffice. These trips are really a time consuming hassle and an unnecessary expense that could be better spent on local goods and services. I really hope policies change!

Hi Scarlett,

Glad to know that you have succeeded in getting your visa/stamps and etc at the border.

I agree with you that the visa run was really a time consuming hassle, and an unnecesssary

expense and most absurd. Perhaps, the Thai authorities should learn some good "common sense"

from the Malaysian side. In Malaysia, there is no such stupid thing as a visa run. All you

have to do is to visit any Immigration Department in any major towns to extend your stay or

other assistance. They are friendly and very service-orientated. Thailand is a century behind

time, when civil and public services are concerned. High time to wake up and grow up.

You,ve got some useful help indeed, I'm doing this sincs years, so here is another possibility:

In Sadao don't turn right to Pedang, keep straight on rd.#4, there also will be a border sign, but you pass the customs complex before(never got stopped} you get to the border.

Stop your car in front of the box where the immigration officer is sitting, it's 50/50 that he will tell you to stop your car behind the border(10meters), and walk to another officer to get your stamp out of LoS, proceed as told.

After that drive towards Malysia border, you will see signs for buses, cars etc,

they are not important for you if you don't want to drive into Malysia, before you reach the checkpoint you will see a small parking lot right hand side, park there.

Look around, then you should see the walkway for pedestrians, take that, collect your Malysia stamps and back to your car.

On the way back to LoS you will see a huge duty free complex left hand side,

fell free to shop as much as you like, no joke, I always take 10 crate's @ 24 cans of Tiger Beer with me, never had a problem.

Back to Thailand you can stop your car before the border, or drive over the border first and walk back to get your stamp.

FYI: it is possible to cross over the Thai border just to do duty free shopping!

That's called " farang shopping" Thais do it also

To your safety concerns, you can walk in and out of Thailand, but latest the Malysians will stop you if not presenting documents

It all sounds easy, I made the mistake of driving through the Thai immigration and then through the Malaysian immigration also because I wasn't sure exactly where to stop. In Sadao there are guys that look like motorcycle taxis sitting at the side of the road at tables - I beleive that they have all the forms necessary and for a price will take you over the border and back. And for anyone driving down there for the first time, both the Thai and Malaysian immigration points would only let me use the walk-up cabin, so I had to park the car both times and walk over. Make sure you leave the car parked and do it by foot, it's hot but easier that arguing over the Malaysian car insurance.

Thanks Aitit for the extra tip on driving up to the Malay border. I'm going to try that next time. I was worried about insurance and paperwork this time around but since you've told me about that possibility it will save me some time in future runs (unless traffic is backed up).

Simey, I'm interested to know what the consequence was when you accidentally drove through the Malay side without insurance. Did you get a warning or ?

Thanks for the very useful info everyone!