Truck Driver Flees After Killing Three

Lite Beer

Truck driver flees after killing three

The Nation on Sunday

PATHUM THANI: -- In Pathum Thani's Lam Luk Ka district yesterday, the driver of a trailer truck carrying foundation pillars reportedly dozed off behind the wheel at 7am, causing the vehicle to run over four pedestrians, killing three and injuring one.

The driver fled the scene.

In Rayong, meanwhile, six people were killed and several others were injured when a transport van collided with a trailer truck on Road Number 36 (Bang Lamung-Rayong) at 12.10am yesterday.

In Suphan Buri, a woman crashed her car into a group of 10 bicycle riders, injuring nine of them, three seriously. The Suphan Buri Cycling Club members were riding along the Don Chedi-Uya Road at 10am when Manasawee Monwiratkul, 30, crashed into the group in her Mitsubishi Pajero as she took action to avoid another vehicle that had suddenly shifted lanes. Manasawee turned herself in to police at the scene.

And in Bangkok's Thung Khru district, Pol Senior Sgt-Major Orapong Khammanee sustained a serious head injury after being run over by a speeding motorcycle while manning a checkpoint. The two men on the motorcycle were arrested for attempted murder of an on-duty police officer and drunk driving. Orapong's family also received Bt10,000 assistance money from police to boost their morale.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-12

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often think that it is also the journalists here that have had a frontal lobotomy.

And in Bangkok's Thung Khru district, Pol Senior Sgt-Major Orapong Khammanee sustained a serious head injury after being run over by a speeding motorcycle while manning a checkpoint. The two men on the motorcycle were arrested for attempted murder of an on-duty police officer and drunk driving. Orapong's family also received Bt10,000 assistance money from police to boost their morale.

Now let me think! My old man is run down, suffering serious head injuries, and I am given 300 US to 'improve' my morale!! Yingluck spends twice that on a pair of wellingtons. Considering the police will be taking 4-5000 baht from each bar in the town as 'non-interference' money, it is a pitiful amount.

• Like 2

Another accident runner. The accident may have happened, but Thailand's condoning the behavior of "runners" with light if any penalties and token apologies is deplorable and not acceptable in world view civilized behavior.

• Like 2

Curious as to why bystanders don't hold the drivers until "Police" arrive? Happens too often.

I can't make excuses for people fleeing the scene of an accident, but I have witnessed a few accidents and I have seen drivers beaten very badly by those around. They don't always just beat the guilty party either.

It seems that here in Thailand, fleeing the scene is the norm. At least if it is a serious accident.

• Like 1

Until there is a mandatory 5 year prison sentence for running away things will not change. Of course; no Government here is going to pass such a law as they or their High So family members may be involved in an accident and have to run for it, claiming the next day that it wasn't them, or it was the persons fault that got run over.

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3.

Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them?

Where he comes from and where he lives?

He must be registered as a driver with the company?

The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody?

Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT.

Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp.

A shame about the deaths.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any penalties under the law in thailand for what we would call Involutary Manslaughter, which is defined as the accidental killing of someone; meaning absolutely in the absence of intent or malice. In the case above it would be falling asleep at the wheel of a vehicle and there-by causing accidental deaths.

The penalties in the U.S. depending upon each state, are usually boyth a fine, and imprisonment for approx-

mately 8 years; again depending on which states your living in.

If the driver in this case were in the U.S., he would be facing prison and a fine.

It would be the same for the young lady which mowed down all those passengers with the van she

was driving; in Thailand.coffee1.gif

Its highly unlikely that anyone including the driver will be prosecuted; any more that it is likely the owner

or owners of the vehicle will be prosecuted or sued.

Any government which does not prosecute crimes like these is as guilty as if they were driving the Truck

themselves.

Until there is Law and Order in this country, things will always remain the same; unchanged.

As far as Thailand is concerned, becoming a regional Hub without the respect of other countries

involved, is not possible.

Every act like this and hundreds of others paint a negative view of Thailand of becoming anymore than

it is; just a painful pimple on the worlds behind.coffee1.gifsad.png

Another accident runner. The accident may have happened, but Thailand's condoning the behavior of "runners" with light if any penalties and token apologies is deplorable and not acceptable in world view civilized behavior.

What do you expect when even a former prime minister is running away to avoid punishment for the merest of his crimes?

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any penalties under the law in thailand for what we would call Involutary Manslaughter, which is defined as the accidental killing of someone; meaning absolutely in the absence of intent or malice. In the case above it would be falling asleep at the wheel of a vehicle and there-by causing accidental deaths.

The penalties in the U.S. depending upon each state, are usually boyth a fine, and imprisonment for approx-

mately 8 years; again depending on which states your living in.

If the driver in this case were in the U.S., he would be facing prison and a fine.

It would be the same for the young lady which mowed down all those passengers with the van she

was driving; in Thailand.coffee1.gif

Even in the states no guarantee of charges in auto accident leading to death usually has to be a drunk or drug driving to incur charges.There usually has to be proven some sort of dangerous driving.

In Suphan Buri, a woman crashed her car into a group of 10 bicycle riders, injuring nine of them, three seriously. The Suphan Buri Cycling Club members were riding along the Don Chedi-Uya Road at 10am when Manasawee Monwiratkul, 30, crashed into the group in her Mitsubishi Pajero as she took action to avoid another vehicle that had suddenly shifted lanes. Manasawee turned herself in to police at the scene.

Well, at least we see some honor, and pride, and concern about doing the right thing. How often do you see that in the LOS, when it comes to drivers. This pissant truck driver who fled the scene, deserves to spend the rest of his life, being a fellow prisoners "girlfriend". Get ready, you slimeball. Bring some KY to the party. You are going down. Hope the "authorities" can find him, have the will to arrest him, and convict him. He sure deserves it. And what is up with this "fleeing the scene" deal, here in the LOS? You kill someone on the road, and you fess up to it, and deal with the consequences. At least, that is what real people do. Not referring to the reaction of insects.

• Like 1

Is this the daily death toll or just the juicy ones?

What a very SICK comment. There is nothing "juicy" about death. How would you feel if it was your family member in any of the scenes and people like you write things like this? I hope the mods remove your sick comment and mine to you also.

Why is the newspaper selectively printing the juicy stories, instead if the entire list of daily carnage?

why aren't they covering all stories instead of taking the juicy ones only. Don't tell me that songhai in yasothon isn't worth a headline but bangkok is?

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3. Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them? Where he comes from and where he lives? He must be registered as a driver with the company? The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody? Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT. Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp. A shame about the deaths.

Afaik, the truck company owners order the drivers to flee after such an accident, so the owner can work out further proceedings with the Bib.

The bigger truck companys alreay have 'standing' agreements with the police for daily irregularities like overloading, speeding etc. .

Another day and another runner

This will continue until the powers that be decide to seriously clamp down on it

IMO runners should be given mandatory jail time .... 1 2 3 years ...

It is especially sad and cowardly to run when the crash caused injuries and or

death, perhaps if the driver had stayed he could have save a life or helped an

injured person.

This driver is a huge coward and should pay a heavy price

Is it not the case the driver runs for his own safety? He may get beaten up and killed by bystanders. Thais are good at fighting when there is about 6 to 1, not 1 to 1.

I am 99% sure this would not be the total daily road toll, Avg about 30 a day in Thailand.

And they only count now people that actually pass away "on site" of the accident, those taken to hospital alive and die in hospital are not counted as part of the road toll in Thailand now, that changed several years ago as a fake way to make the Songkran numbers go down.

Amazing Thailand. coffee1.gif

An aquaintance of mine used to work on the Nation newspaper. He told me that the most commonly used phrase, in that newspaper, at that time was; "the driver fled the scene". Not a surprise to most of us I imagine. My condolences to the families.