Truck Driver Flees After Killing Three

Lite Beer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the driver of the Pajero had the decency to turn herself in, the report says she coolided with the cyclists after being forced to avoid another vehicle which changed lanes suddenly, I wonder how many other accidents are caused this way, at least no-one was killed in this accident. RIP to the deceased in the other accidents, hope the police catch the truck driver and throw the book at him.

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3. Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them? Where he comes from and where he lives? He must be registered as a driver with the company? The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody? Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT. Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp. A shame about the deaths.

Afaik, the truck company owners order the drivers to flee after such an accident, so the owner can work out further proceedings with the Bib.

The bigger truck companys alreay have 'standing' agreements with the police for daily irregularities like overloading, speeding etc. .

This is very true, sad but true.

Just one question. How do the know he dozed off if he fled the scene? Did he call the authorities to tell them he is taking a nap? 7 a.m in the morning I would "guess" that he had been up all night drinking and gambling and was pissed that is why he fled.

He was seen fleeing the scene in his pyjamas and clutching a mug of Horlicks

• Like 1

At least the driver of the Pajero had the decency to turn herself in, the report says she coolided with the cyclists after being forced to avoid another vehicle which changed lanes suddenly, I wonder how many other accidents are caused this way, at least no-one was killed in this accident. RIP to the deceased in the other accidents, hope the police catch the truck driver and throw the book at him.

Yes they were... One of them passed away in hospital, he was best man at my friends wedding..

RIP all of them.. The roads here are a lottery and always will be !!!!

Yes they were... One of them passed away in hospital, he was best man at my friends wedding..

I'm sorry to hear that, my condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

Another accident runner. The accident may have happened, but Thailand's condoning the behavior of "runners" with light if any penalties and token apologies is deplorable and not acceptable in world view civilized behavior.

Please give latitude and longitude of the civilized world.

Another day and another runner

This will continue until the powers that be decide to seriously clamp down on it

IMO runners should be given mandatory jail time .... 1 2 3 years ...

It is especially sad and cowardly to run when the crash caused injuries and or

death, perhaps if the driver had stayed he could have save a life or helped an

injured person.

This driver is a huge coward and should pay a heavy price

Hate to break your bubble but they do penalize hit and run drivers in the States and Canada. Yet it keeps going on. And I suspect so in many other countries.

The big difference over here is that it is so rare it makes headlines.

In north America it happens so often it is not even news. Maybe in a buried article some place.

As for the driver being drunk. Well who knows. I know that when I fell asleep and had a accident there was a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in the room with me and he told me they had just as many accidents from people falling asleep at the wheel as they did from drinking.

I learned my lesson don't drive with cruise control aircon and no music to listen to particularly on long stretches of road.

The drivers of these vehicles will receive a penalty depending on how much money they can pay. The runner will eventually get caught because I am assuming that the truck company knows his personal information unless of course he is one of those high paid workers from Burma and is simply returning home to wait till the heat cools off. Regardless, RIP to the victims and hopefully we are not on the road when similar drivers are out racing to their destination in the LOS.

Apparently truck driving is not a sort after profession here, so basically blokes with no real other prospects or education end up driving trucks. Most graduate from motorbike to truck and bring all their bad habits with them as no safety or competence training is involved.

The trucks are often poorly maintained with bad brakes and tyres, then add to that the workload and schedules these blokes are given, most are on yaa baa just to stay awake.

I keep right away from any truck if possible and have seen the insane antics they get up to, many are dangerous or completely certifiable, I even check my mirrors to see if theer is one behind me as mowing down bikes at the red light is not uncommon. However it appears they simply satisfy the criteria they are given, seems it is more a regulatory problem, one that is unlikely to be resolved in the near future. In the meantime the innocent death toll will continue to rise for those unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I see many posts just complaining about how it is in Thailand. Yes Thais drive irresponsibly, flee after an accident, we know about money changing hands to cover up some problems, in many instances relating to victimless problems.

I have been in Thailand for some 8 years now, and amongst friends, we say..."this is the way it is here". Period. And we prefer it to our home country, in the western hemisphere.

There are many aspects of Thailand that we like, and of course many that we do not. But that is the way it is. We prefer the overall lifestyle. In Thailand we are even allowed to discuss what we do not like in the country.

Maybe some of the complainants could go reside in Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, and complain publicly about the lifestyle and how women are treated for instance. Just to see if such complaints would jive as well as here with the local authorities.

Just a thought.

I see many posts just complaining about how it is in Thailand. Yes Thais drive irresponsibly, flee after an accident, we know about money changing hands to cover up some problems, in many instances relating to victimless problems.

I have been in Thailand for some 8 years now, and amongst friends, we say..."this is the way it is here". Period. And we prefer it to our home country, in the western hemisphere.

There are many aspects of Thailand that we like, and of course many that we do not. But that is the way it is. We prefer the overall lifestyle. In Thailand we are even allowed to discuss what we do not like in the country.

Maybe some of the complainants could go reside in Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, and complain publicly about the lifestyle and how women are treated for instance. Just to see if such complaints would jive as well as here with the local authorities.

Just a thought.

This is a forum discussing mainly topics about Thailand. What was your point again?

There is no need for the roads to always be a lottery. With correct driving standards and supervision, good vehicle design and regular testing, improved road design and maintenance, road signs and marking to match then road transport can be very safe. I guess you mean, Thai roads without colossal change in the education and attitude of all who should be responsible. You are right; not in the foreseeable future.

Just a thought.

This is a forum discussing mainly topics about Thailand. What was your point again?

Well, my main point is about all the complaints about the way of lif in Thailand. Perhaps those who complain the most should go try living in Afghanistan for a while...and report to us about their experience there..the good and the bad ones...

Just a thought.

Well, my main point is about all the complaints about the way of lif in Thailand. Perhaps those who complain the most should go try living in Afghanistan for a while...and report to us about their experience there..the good and the bad ones...

In my opinion your post also points out the lack of knowledge of the people who complain. They think the whole world is different and things are really bad here. Many things are not as I would have them here but they are acceptable. In my little bit of world traveling I can honestly say Thailand is a great place to live. Most complainers live in a dream world of perfection and lose tract of the fact that we are human and susceptible to things that should not happen. In the balance they choose the one they prefer to live in. So why knock it.

• Like 1

This will continue until the powers that be decide to seriously clamp down on it

injured person.

Hate to break your bubble but they do penalize hit and run drivers in the States and Canada. Yet it keeps going on. And I suspect so in many other countries.

In north America it happens so often it is not even news. Maybe in a buried article some place.

As for the driver being drunk. Well who knows. I know that when I fell asleep and had a accident there was a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in the room with me and he told me they had just as many accidents from people falling asleep at the wheel as they did from drinking.

I learned my lesson don't drive with cruise control aircon and no music to listen to particularly on long stretches of road.

Drivers leaving scene if accident is exceedingly rare in US. Does happen occasionally and penalties are very stiff especially if injury involved. Usually, someone flees because they are wanted for something more serious.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

In my opinion your post also points out the lack of knowledge of the people who complain. They think the whole world is different and things are really bad here. Many things are not as I would have them here but they are acceptable. In my little bit of world traveling I can honestly say Thailand is a great place to live. Most complainers live in a dream world of perfection and lose tract of the fact that we are human and susceptible to things that should not happen. In the balance they choose the one they prefer to live in. So why knock it.

Right, Thailand is a great place to live in. And I am just wondering why people complain about Thailand so much. A lot better than living in Canada...

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3. Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them? Where he comes from and where he lives? He must be registered as a driver with the company? The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody? Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT. Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp. A shame about the deaths.

Afaik, the truck company owners order the drivers to flee after such an accident, so the owner can work out further proceedings with the Bib.

The bigger truck companys alreay have 'standing' agreements with the police for daily irregularities like overloading, speeding etc. .

Linfox probably the biggest company operating in Thailand definately doesn't tell thier drivers to flee not does it have any agreements with the BIB. Thier drivers undergoe the same strict screening and training as thier aussie counterparts which includes drug and alcohol testing and thier vehicles undergo the same strict daily inspections.

I thougt " saving face " was a big thing here in Thailand . Fleeing an acident must be the biggest loosing face that i can think of..

But in an acident i guess thats not valid.. whistling.gif

Saving ass comes before saving face. :(

• Like 2

Linfox probably the biggest company operating in Thailand definately doesn't tell thier drivers to flee not does it have any agreements with the BIB. Thier drivers undergoe the same strict screening and training as thier aussie counterparts which includes drug and alcohol testing and thier vehicles undergo the same strict daily inspections.

I agree Linfox trucks are everywhere in Thailand and I think the company operates arounds 5,000+ trucks in the Asia/Pacific region and something in the order of 350 in Thailand alone. I have never seen one of these drivers driving eratically or speeding in Thailand or heard of an accident involving one of the vehicles. I drove for Lindsay part time a few years ago and the company is very strict on its drivers, the slightest misdemeanor and you will find yourself out of work. The vehicles are also fitted with satelite tracking and they can calculate if a driver has put the foot down a little to hard at anytime. I was always breathe tested at the start of my shift also and any alcohol and you were out. This is company policy across the asia/pacific. I guess it all comes down to management of the drivers and the fleet.

Orapong's family also received Bt10,000 assistance money from police to boost their morale.

A quick snap vehicle check point by the BIB to issue a few fines for no helmets and what not would have been enough to gather the Bt 10,000 of moral for the victim.

injured person.

Drivers leaving scene if accident is exceedingly rare in US. Does happen occasionally and penalties are very stiff especially if injury involved. Usually, someone flees because they are wanted for something more serious.

Exceedingly rare!!!! then why can you Google hit and run accidents in USA and find loads of them?

And another day ends where I'm content not to drive here in Thailand. Yes, even as a pedestrian, I've learned that before crossing a road here you look six ways: left - right, front - back, up and down. blink.png

That is on one way streets and side walks. Two way streets you need eyes in the back of your head.

injured person.

Exceedingly rare!!!! then why can you Google hit and run accidents in USA and find loads of them?

That is because google is not trying to get head lines it just posts the news. As I said earlier they are so common in the States and Canada that they are considered hardly news worthy much less head line material. Probably in small towns they might be considered head line material but the big cities unless they have a list of all the crimes committed every day you won't find many.

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3. Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them? Where he comes from and where he UTlives? He must be registered as a driver with the company? The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody? Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT. Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp. A shame about the deaths.

I agree Linfox trucks are everywhere in Thailand and I think the company operates arounds 5,000+ trucks in the Asia/Pacific region and something in the order of 350 in Thailand alone. I have never seen one of these drivers driving eratically or speeding in Thailand or heard of an accident involving one of the vehicles. I drove for Lindsay part time a few years ago and the company is very strict on its drivers, the slightest misdemeanor and you will find yourself out of work. The vehicles are also fitted with satelite tracking and they can calculate if a driver has put the foot down a little to hard at anytime. I was always breathe tested at the start of my shift also and any alcohol and you were out. This is company policy across the asia/pacific. I guess it all comes down to management of the drivers and the fleet.

It all comes down to cost and margin.

That is because google is not trying to get head lines it just posts the news. As I said earlier they are so common in the States and Canada that they are considered hardly news worthy much less head line material. Probably in small towns they might be considered head line material but the big cities unless they have a list of all the crimes committed every day you won't find many.

I do hear about pedestrian strike hit and runs fairly often while in Florida. One every month it two maybe in my area. Those are usually late at night intoxication incidents. I imagine a fair amount of people drunk whacking unto parked cars leaving and I have heard of drunks running into poles or something trying to leave scene only to get into another wreck shortly thereafter. Not many of these.

My firm is TIDA firm and we represent the trucking industry in our State. In 15 years, I have never heard of a truck driver hitting, injuring someone or killing someone and leaving scene. Not once. Now it may happen if just property damage and file not make it to us.

Trucking companies carry at minimum $ 1,000,000 per person per accident and if bad wreck they usually tender 1/2 million to full policy limits quickly, even over my objection in several cases I have handled over the years. I generally do very little trucking defense work, but I was always shocked at how much they pay. They hate risking trial as juries generally hate trucke drivers and have bad experiences and perceptions of truck drivers.

Truck drivers rarely leave scene in US because accidents happen and they have insurance to cover victims. If they leave scene, they will never drive a truck again and they will go to jail if someone is hurt or dead.