What'S The Reason That 7 Eleven Won'T Sell Beer Until After 5?

giddyup

Nope the whole country, alcohol sales only 11AM to 2PM and 5PM until midnight. Buying wholesale quantities is OK any time.

Most Mom and Pop shops will sell any time, big chains (like 7) will not.

Nope the whole country, alcohol sales only 11AM to 2PM and 5PM until midnight. Buying wholesale quantities is OK any time.

Most Mom and Pop shops will sell any time, big chains (like 7) will not.

I'm sure I've bought beer at my local 7 eleven in Pattaya between 2pm and 5pm.

My nearest 7-11 in Patts ignored that particular law but the next one down the road (all of half a kilometer) enforced it. As it was a farang-heavy area on the Darkside it boiled down to gain versus risk. Even one of my neighbours ( a policeman) bought beer there during the prohibited hours. They had a sign up stating the hours of restriction but it was not in plain sight.

Depends on the manager/franchisee I suppose. Funny old world.

If you buy more the 10 litres of alcohol then it is legal.

So they're saying school kids should drink 10 ltrs or nothing. sad.png

well obviously kids could not afford ten litres so it makes sense

Yeah makes sense. Group binges are okay though.

Yeah makes sense. Group binges are okay though.

The bow string will break shortly

Yeah, but it could mess up their education. How else will they know if they can drink that much or not? Seems a bit unfair to me.

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong there, these are the times they are meant to be in school anyway.................rolleyes.gif . If this is the case, and all Thai's are required to carry their ID cards, would it not have been easier to ask for identification in the first place? Now the schoolkids may have to stay up late and buy their booze at the same time as the rest of us.

Good question giddyup....................thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth

re... Nope the whole country, alcohol sales only 11AM to 2PM and 5PM until midnight. Buying wholesale quantities is OK any time.

hes right : )

dave2

I have three 7 eleven's within 1 klm from where I live, not one has ever refused me alcohol between 2 and 5, so it's obviously not a hard and fast law. Also as someone said earlier, the mom and pop stores sell beer at anytime, why should they be exempt?

It's only 7 11, every mom and pop store will sell it to you all day long (though I don't reccommend starting before 9am) smile.png

See what I said above. I have never been refused beer by my local 7 elevens, whatever time.

Edited by giddyup

It's only 7 11, every mom and pop store will sell it to you all day long (though I don't reccommend starting before 9am) smile.png

See what I said above. I have never been refused beer by my local 7 elevens, whatever time.

TIT mate. Some will ignor the law while others will not.

I don't think they'll care if you're a farang. They just want to stop kids from buying I think.

So if the kids come back after 5 they're OK to buy? Why not just ask for proof with ID like any other country?

Its 1 way the govt tackles the problem of people getting too drunk according to my wife. Seems a bit stupid to me. It does depend on which area you are in like in my wifes village its anytime you want grog you can get. Theres a good reason why I like village life more!

I don't think they'll care if you're a farang. They just want to stop kids from buying I think.

Not true. Ive tried to bribe counter staff into letting me buy and even a 1000baht bribe didnt work. They said come back when we can sell.

Not true. Ive tried to bribe counter staff into letting me buy and even a 1000baht bribe didnt work. They said come back when we can sell.

Or buy a slab of beer to go with that bottle of scotch, 10 litres is a wholesale quantity so can sell any time.

If we happen to be shopping outside the allowed hours we simply buy two slabs of beer and don't buy one next week, not exactly difficult to get round.

I recall when the sevens sold booze 24hrs. Now my local sevens (bangkok) can't scan alcohol items during the restricted hours. I assume sevens in tourist areas are allowed to sell all day. The law, as somebody mentioned, has been a god send for the little mom and pop shops.

I recall when the sevens sold booze 24hrs. Now my local sevens (bangkok) can't scan alcohol items during the restricted hours. I assume sevens in tourist areas are allowed to sell all day. The law, as somebody mentioned, has been a god send for the little mom and pop shops.

I may be wrong but I have always believed that 7 / 11's - at least in major cities - are now "on-line" to a Centre run by the Thai Master Franchise owner which records all Sales, mainly to arrange re-stocking automatically without the small Franchise owner having to Order himself. This same system would record if that Franchisee scanned a sale of alcohol outside the legally permitted times, resulting in a penalty or even loss of the Franchise. Hence they usually will not allow a sale outside the legal hours.

Patrick