Quiet Helmets That Dont Shake

KRS1

Looking to get a new helmet, what helmet do you have first hand experience with that you know for sure is relatively quiet up to 140 kph (87mph) and doesnt shake, bob, lift and float at 200kph ( 124 mph) ? Price around $150USD ?

Brought over a REAL from thailand as a quick fix while back in the US, but they really arent designed for anything over 120kph (75 mph), things start to get really violent around this point.

Considering the :

Scorpion EXO 700 or 100 (new)..................said to be heavy

GMAX 68 or 69 (helmet of the year 2007)...noisy but best air flow

Joe Rocket carbon (used/ebay)..................???

Arai Corsair V (used/ebay).........................overpriced for no good reason?

yeah yeah i know used helmets....some people have weird shaped heads and wear them once then sell them, some are weekend warriors...as long as i can clean out their stank and if it hasnt been down, im good with it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did the same thing when i wrote the topic...lol

This may help. biggrin.png

http://www.thaivisa....elmet-to-stock/

I have always preferred Shark myself, although I found the hinged type Carberg fullface one I brought with me has been OK.

took a looka at Shark, but may plop down the dough for an OGK, get back to thailand and put INDEX stickers on it...lol

You should be able to get a decent KBC or HJC full face for that sort of money. Both are comfortable and reasonably quiet and have a good impact rating. Wouldn't ever consider buying used.

model numbers?

Personally I can live with some noise but what I really want is better/best ventilation

possible. Sorry to tag on but would like to hear if anyone has looked at this as their

primary requirement ( 2nd to safety of course ) in buying a helmet here.

Personally I can live with some noise but what I really want is better/best ventilation

possible. Sorry to tag on but would like to hear if anyone has looked at this as their

primary requirement ( 2nd to safety of course ) in buying a helmet here.

I have, I wanted a well ventilated helmet that was also DOT approved and the best one I could find was a GMAX GM68 which I ordered from America, I was lucky and didn't get hit for any taxes so was about 4,500baht inc shipping. Loads of vents so lots of airflow but not excessively noisy. Think you'll have trouble finding one in Thailand though.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I have owned a couple REAL Stealth full face helmets. One a limited edition Stealth Classic which I was really happy with. Price about 3200B (See below) Slightly heavier than an Arai or Shoei but provide the same amount of protection. Good ventilation. Quiet at high speeds. The shaking/bobbing isn't going to change much based on the helmet. That is a function of where your helmet sits in the wind stream. And if the helmet is lifting/floating then it's too loose. At 120mph you had better have a proper fitting helmet (a proper fitting helmet is tighter than most people think) or it will be floating.

There are only two helmets that are certified for both us in Thailand (TIS 369-2539) and the states (DOT or SNELL). They are Shark and Real. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand.

Never ever buy a used helmet. There is no way to know how close to the end of it's useful life it is or how it's been treated, if it's been dropped etc.

264142_204998902885850_204047616314312_632594_7695625_n.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

I have owned a couple REAL Stealth full face helmets. One a limited edition Stealth Classic which I was really happy with. Price about 3200B (See below) Slightly heavier than an Arai or Shoei but provide the same amount of protection. Good ventilation. Quiet at high speeds. The shaking/bobbing isn't going to change much based on the helmet. That is a function of where your helmet sits in the wind stream. And if the helmet is lifting/floating then it's too loose. At 120mph you had better have a proper fitting helmet (a proper fitting helmet is tighter than most people think) or it will be floating.

There are only two helmets that are certified for both us in Thailand (TIS 369-2539) and the states (DOT or SNELL). They are Shark and Real. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand.

Never ever buy a used helmet. There is no way to know how close to the end of it's useful life it is or how it's been treated, if it's been dropped etc.

I had one of these, but i didnt really like it. The way it was shaped caused it to constantly fall off my mirror when i hung it, it must have fallen atleast 20 times. Really unbalanced lid, i never had a helmet with this much stank in my life either. The foam padding wore out a bit too quick, but then again i did 17k kilometers in about 5 months though , so it saw alot of time.

I brought over the GJ-998 and the foam wore out again, which contributes to the floating, my teeth can now touch the chin guard and that aint cool.

Edited by KRS1

. The way it was shaped caused it to constantly fall off my mirror when i hung it, it must have fallen atleast 20 times..

Lol. "How it hangs on my mirror" is a funny requirement to have for a helmet. I think you have a list of unrealistic expectations which you are not likely to meet with any one helmet.

Been using this one for a couple of years. HJC.

If my memory is right, around 6000 baht. Good when you stop at the lights and can hinge up the front and get a bit of cool air on your face. Weighs 1700 grams so feels quite solid, fibre glass shell with comfortable padding and two inserts that can be removed at the ear area for more sound awareness, or comfort if you're in the same bracket as Prince Charles smile.png

post-98036-0-01685300-1344874005_thumb.j

post-98036-0-64224600-1344874183_thumb.j

If my memory is right, around 6000 baht. Good when you stop at the lights and can hinge up the front and get a bit of cool air on your face. Weighs 1700 grams so feels quite solid, fibre glass shell with comfortable padding and two inserts that can be removed at the ear area for more sound awareness, or comfort if you're in the same bracket as Prince Charles smile.png

I like those modular helmets. I found a REAL modular helmet recently for 2900B. The Orbid. Even has an externally deployable sun shade. That will be my next helmet, but need to get a bike first. :)

Real Orbid

I like those modular helmets. I found a REAL modular helmet recently for 2900B. The Orbid. Even has an externally deployable sun shade. That will be my next helmet, but need to get a bike first. :)

Real Orbid

You can get the HJC modular helmets at a shop in Chinatown bkk for between 3500b and 4500b depending on model. Look on Mocyc. Com for 320. Shop

sent from my Wellcom A90+

. The way it was shaped caused it to constantly fall off my mirror when i hung it, it must have fallen atleast 20 times..

Lol. "How it hangs on my mirror" is a funny requirement to have for a helmet. I think you have a list of unrealistic expectations which you are not likely to meet with any one helmet.

Whenever i looked down at my shadow on the ground it reminded me of a Star Wars Storm Trooper...lol

Dont like them too wide and bulky, most the plastic vent doors started falling off too, eventually i just tore them all off and rode with the vents open 24/7.

I was considering a modular, but really am curious as to how it would hold up in a crash. I think all the modulars ive seen only have 1 point at the hinge that secures the chin guard and most hinges ive seen are made of plastic...ermm.gif

Although it would be dam_n nice to have a modular though.

As always when I post I am quite willing to accept someone proving I am wrong.

When it comes to bike helmets no-one, manufacturer, is going to state that THIS HELMET will save your life in a 120 mph crash.Most tests on helmets are based on 30 mph impacts

They are only a part of your personal protection equipment on a bike, as are boots and a jacket with a spider back protection system.

Find a helmet that is made by a reputable company, that fits and feels comfortable, but don't expect it to be the one thing that saves you when a bus in the opposite lane hits you head on.

Biking is one of the best experiences, but, buy the best protection that you can and have your head inside the most comfortable protection that feels good.

But, over a certain speed rely on the the big thinking thing that's inside your helmet.

As always when I post I am quite willing to accept someone proving I am wrong.

When it comes to bike helmets no-one, manufacturer, is going to state that THIS HELMET will save your life in a 120 mph crash.Most tests on helmets are based on 30 mph impacts

They are only a part of your personal protection equipment on a bike, as are boots and a jacket with a spider back protection system.

Find a helmet that is made by a reputable company, that fits and feels comfortable, but don't expect it to be the one thing that saves you when a bus in the opposite lane hits you head on.

Biking is one of the best experiences, but, buy the best protection that you can and have your head inside the most comfortable protection that feels good.

But, over a certain speed rely on the the big thinking thing that's inside your helmet.

not saying your wrong mate, just curious as to how well theyd hold up compared to a one piece helmet...ive been wanting a modular for years.

Real Orbid

You can get the HJC modular helmets at a shop in Chinatown bkk for between 3500b and 4500b depending on model. Look on Mocyc. Com for 320. Shop

I would rather have something legal in both Thailand and the states.

Real Orbid

I would rather have something legal in both Thailand and the states.

And that would be the HJc then. DOT approved.

You say that Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand. Why would that be, who would care about it if that was the case and why would anybody at all care anyway?

I would actually give more importance to Sharp ratings and ECE approval than to DOT or Snell certifications, because of how those test are designed. Standards that are passed by basically any oval shaped plastic shell with a layer of styrofoam and a chin strap, are nothing that would make me choose one helmet over another one though.

Nomadjoe is confusing a voluntary thai quality mark with legality. Any helmet is lawful in Thailand. There are NO mandatory regulations covering helmets here in Thailand.

Tell that to the helmet shop owners who regularly get raided for selling non TIS rated helmets and have thier DOT and SNELL helmets confiscated. It's not voluntary, it's Thai law. Look it up like I did if you don't believe it.